Voltage 3970 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 01:52 AM   #1
Taz

Texas
Voltage 3970

Curious to know the thoughts of Voltage owners.
We are purchasing a new voltage 3970 from a local dealer. We were advised to look over the unit and develop a punch out list of any issues. The dealer seems hesitant to correct issues without keeping them accountable. It has been six weeks thus far and we have not even had aPDI yet. Of the issues one of major concern is a leak in the front slide. Apparently it has leaked several times while on the lot by the looks of some water marks. They are replacing the watermarked trim and facial board. They have pulled back carpet on coach floor to open it up and appears no damage there. As far as the slide they have not exposed floor to see extent of damage or no damage. The manafacture Dutchmen states they have done test and assures there is no damage. They state if there is going to be any issues they are going to occur in first year and they will cover it. Our concern is something occurring after first year. Should we insist of a 2yr warranty coverage? Dutchmen is balking at the ideal although they assure no damage. The dealer assures they have corrected the source of leak and performed rain bay test. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:32 AM   #2

Illinois
Run. First of all, sounds like a crappy dealer. They treat you like this before you even own the unit, so you can imagine how they will treat you after they cash the check. Unless it is deeply, deeply discounted, keep shopping.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:09 AM   #3

British Columbia
Taz, welcome to the forum.

What Rusty said, but I can't run so I'd be driving away as fast as I can peddle.

If you have a pending deal on the camper and it's been six weeks and no progress, that would cause me concern.

If it's one of them Schwintech Slides, take a look at the threads on this forum about the problems others have had.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #4

New York
Don't ask for a 2 year warranty......

1) chances are they won't give it to you (don't ask how I know)

2) if they did they would not honor it.......(don't ask about this either)

We have been there done that....

Run, walk, jog, drive, peddle or whatever means of transport you have but get the heck away from that deal.......any kind of leak is just looking for problems.....
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Taz

Texas
Thanks for your thoughts. The unit is so deeply deeply discounted to being a early 2016 that has not sold until discounted. That's what has us in limbo of what to do. The leak we discovered after looking it over after a rain shower.
They are fixing issues they just seem slow and disorganized at planing out there work. What I think should have taken couple days to figure out what they needed to order or had in stock to fix issues. They are still coming up to order which takes up time, which is so irritating.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
They are fixing issues they just seem slow and disorganized at planing out there work. What I think should have taken couple days to figure out what they needed to order or had in stock to fix issues. They are still coming up to order which takes up time, which is so irritating.
For sure I would be going down the road to the next dealer. If they are having that much trouble getting a camper delivered, what will it be like when you need warranty work done.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #7

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Curious to know the thoughts of Voltage owners.
We are purchasing a new voltage 3970 from a local dealer. We were advised to look over the unit and develop a punch out list of any issues. The dealer seems hesitant to correct issues without keeping them accountable. It has been six weeks thus far and we have not even had aPDI yet. Of the issues one of major concern is a leak in the front slide. Apparently it has leaked several times while on the lot by the looks of some water marks. They are replacing the watermarked trim and facial board. They have pulled back carpet on coach floor to open it up and appears no damage there. As far as the slide they have not exposed floor to see extent of damage or no damage. The manafacture Dutchmen states they have done test and assures there is no damage. They state if there is going to be any issues they are going to occur in first year and they will cover it. Our concern is something occurring after first year. Should we insist of a 2yr warranty coverage? Dutchmen is balking at the ideal although they assure no damage. The dealer assures they have corrected the source of leak and performed rain bay test. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Taz -- I suspect that this is the same issue that all early 2016 models have. When they switched to using the cable slide system, they did not compensate for the fact that the slide would not be able to go out as far (you can get details in my thread about it). Long story short, the walls in the slide need to be replaced so that the windows don't overlap with the wiper seal for the slide.

There are two easy ways that you can tell if the unit has the new type of slide cabling, try to open the top left living room entertainment center door all the way (it wont), or look at the bedroom slide wall from the outside (with the slide out) and you will see that the window seal clashes with the wiper seal.

If you do end up buying the unit, make sure they have dealt with this, the roof rafter recall, and the ladder recall. Goodluck!
boostme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #8
Taz

Texas
Boostme-- This is a 3970 with the cable system for the slides. I have not looked to see if windows were interfering with the wiper seal. Is replacing the walls the approved fix?

As far as roof rafter recall it has been dealt with. I'm not sure about the ladder, what was the issue there?
Thanks
Old 08-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #9

Maine
As far as I know, replacing the slide walls is the only approved fix. The ladder recall is merely having a dealer check to make sure a stud was hit at attachment points. Luckily I was not the guy that trigged that recall!

Not sure if the cable slide issues will trigger a recall as water ingress is not safety related. It will likely just end up as a tech bulletin.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2016, 02:02 AM   #10

Texas
As the owner of a 2016 Voltage model 3970 I can tell you that I agree with forum member boostme and other owners that have discovered that the bedroom slide does NOT extend out far enough to allow the rubber wiper blade to seal tightly against bedroom slide sidewalls. The rubber blade rest on the window frame on both side windows. As such, water runs down behind the rubber blade. I Tested it myself with a simple garden hose. Mother nature tested it as well. Water leaks are the result and in the same location ever time. This can lead to severe water damage, mold, and carpet damage. None of these are good for your investment. This is a design flaw after changing from the old problematic Schwintek slide on the 2015 Models, to the new cable slide system on the newer 2017 3970 models. The new system motor placement, prevents the slide from going out far enough to clear the bedroom windows. This also explains why the living room off door slide, does not extend out far enough to allow the doors on the TV entertainment center to open fully. If you look behind the frame on that slide you can see your sidewalls. Very poor design and I can not understand why this was allowed to be sold to the consumer. After looking at the 2017 model 3970, Its clear that the problem has been realized, addressed, and the windows on the bedroom slide has been relocated to accommodate the new cable slide system. The wiper blade rest as intended against the bedroom sidewalls. Its obvious that the problem on the 2016 model 3970 bedroom slide is a design flaw. The proper solution is to have the manufacture upgrade the 2016 model sidewalls to the 2017 3970 bedroom side walls. I have seen the 2017 Model 3970 bedroom slide in the fully extended out position and can see that the window placement has been changed. I do not know at this time if the off door slide was corrected to allow the doors on the entertainment center to fully open for easy access. That also should be corrected.
Alprath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:26 PM   #11

Indiana
The 2017 3970 has an "open" cabinet design w/o cabinet doors on the left side of the entertainment cabinet. The only doors hung on the 3970/3975 are the overhead doors above the TV and if its and "epic" 3970 it gets aluminum "flip up" doors directly above the TV and the overhead doors above those. The 3975 has an open cabinet where the aluminum doors would typically be hung w/ an added style to keep items stored from falling out of the cabinet.
DutchmenClassic04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #12

Maine
Bahaha I'd expect nothing less.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:11 AM   #13

Indiana
This is the reasoning behind the difference in cab doors between the 2 models. Also the open cabinet design is more functional w/o a cabinet door. The access is very limited with a door hung to use the cabinets on the left side of the entertainment. The cable slide is a much improved design over Schwintek. Less warranty and failures.

Beginning April 1st 2016

Models ending in "0" - 3970, 3990, 4150, etc. - "Epic" units either full body paint or upgraded graphic package (additional graphics & chrome/carbon fiber raised logos, Painted Black Front Cap, Lighted "Epic" Badge on side of unit, Upgraded DVD Player, Soundbar, etc, Quartz countertops, Hardwood nightstands and dresser tops, Valance's in garage, Roller shades in Living, "Yacht Trim" on living ceiling, Garage OH Cabinets & Doors, Upgraded Stereo, Upgraded Livingroom A/C, In-Command touchscreen command center, Aluminum Cabinet doors, Mor-ryde Hitch, etc.

Models ending in "5" - 3975, 3995, 3605, etc. - Standard units similar to the prior "V - series" models. They get standard command centers, trim, doors, shade's, graphics, White w/ Painted Black Sides front cap, etc.

Models ending in "1" - 3451, 3351, 2951, etc. - Triton by Voltage units. These are considered and entry level Toy Hauler. They are similar to the standard "5" units but have some features changed/deleted. They have standard Hinge/Spring Ramp Doors w/o patio system, Deleted Interior Grab Handle, Bath Backsplash, Headboard, etc. Different Decal package, white front cap, kitchen backsplash, standard landing gear & stabilizers, single awning, 1 TV, etc.
DutchmenClassic04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:08 AM   #14

Maine
Like putting a bandaid on something in need of stitches. 😁

Old 08-23-2016, 03:21 AM   #15

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenClassic04 View Post
Beginning April 1st 2016

Models ending in "0" - etc.
I'm glad I got my 3950 when I did: people will think it's much fancier than it really is.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenClassic04 View Post
This is the reasoning behind the difference in cab doors between the 2 models. Also the open cabinet design is more functional w/o a cabinet door. The access is very limited with a door hung to use the cabinets on the left side of the entertainment. The cable slide is a much improved design over Schwintek. Less warranty and failures.
Actually there is very little wrong with the Schwintek slide. The issue was Dutchman's inability to install them within tolerance and design specifications.

Schwintek is ±1/8" tolerance, in all directions, anything over that it will have problems. Dutchman has problems getting things within 3" of tolerance. I had a Coleman that the dinette seat frame was over 1.5" out of square in 20" We are talking basic carpentry being built with square lumber. Not exactly high tech stuff.

Cable slides can tolerate being out of square a good bit more than the Schwintek, but I have seen some cases where even the cable slides aren't going to work because stuff was so out of square.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #17

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Actually there is very little wrong with the Schwintek slide.
I agree. Only problem I had with mine is that when I had to replace a broken power cable, there was no slot in the h-rail to remove the motor. After much agonizing, I cut my own slot.

The joys of being an early adopter.

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote