Voltage 3895 hubcap grease fitting access cap - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Voltage 3895 hubcap grease fitting access cap

Hello folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me find the round grease fitting access cap for the hubcap on my 2014 Voltage 3895. It's the round ~ 2" cap that fits into the hubcap. I have Dexter EZ Lube axels. I've searched the internet looking for a replacement access cap, or even the complete hubcap, with no luck. I would sure appreciate any thoughts on where I might be able to order the part from. Thanks!

Skyhawk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #2

Michigan
If you are talking about the rubber plug, I get mine at either the local Family Farm and Home or a local trailer sales and service. I keep a few spares and all three of my trailer use the same size plug

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Thanks Donzinger. It's not the typical black rubber plug. It's a chrome disc that is removed from the hubcap to afford access to the grease fitting. I apologize; I should have been more specific.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:27 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Hub Cap?

Getting the search term correct is at the heart of the matter. I am not sure, but try this:
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...el_Accessories
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
Thanks Persistent.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #6

Florida
Be very careful greasing them. Once they have been greased, you should not need to put new grease. It is very easy to get grease on the brake linings and over grease!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Thanks much Frank.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:47 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Old Grease

The ezlube fittings are convenient, but they can cause problems.

The grease usually goes in through the center to the inside bearing. The seal on that side is intended to prevent grease going out the back. The grease is expected to come through the other bearing and back out the front.

If the back bearing has hardened with age, been damaged, or worn, grease can leak out the back. Be careful not to apply too much pressure.

Frequent greasing can keep the flow going more freely. Letting things get hard or thicker over a year or two can require more pressure to get the grease to flow.

See Dexter axle instructions for greasing.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:24 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Rest of the Story

Thanks Paul for the very sound advice. I probably should explain why I need a new center cap to begin with. I have the 3 axels on my 2014 Voltage 3895 repacked by Camping World every year. Nevertheless, after pulling into a campground in SD, I did my usual walk-around, which includes feeling the center caps for any heat. The right rear cap was so hot it was discolored, as was the wheel itself. Fortunately, the tire didn't catch fire. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the bearing had disintegrated and the spindle was scored. So, I was 1,600+ miles from home with a bad axel. Amazingly, I was able to find a repair facility that came to the campground, removed the axel, took it to their shop, welded a new spindle on, brought the axel back to the campground and reinstalled it. The GoodSam Extended Service Plan paid for 70% of the repair, since I was able to prove I had the axel serviced annually. I don't know what caused the axel bearing to fail--whether it was the very rough I-80 through Ohio that cracked a race or faulty repacking or improper torque by Camping World. The lesson I learned is to check the caps for heat at every stop. Thanks again for your very helpful advice.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #10

Florida
Repacking bearings, if not done properly, will cause issues like the one you are mentioning. When you take the trouble to remove the bearings for repacking, it is good procedure to replace the seals. Repacking bearings, if done properly and with a good quality grease (like the RED grease) will not need to be repacked again for years (IF DONE PROPERLY) which is the trick if you have no prior experience in packing bearings by hand. IF you use a bearing packing machine it should be ok but remember to smear grease on the outside and make sure it has penetrated the inside of the bearings.

I would have loved to see the bearing when they got it off to see if there was any grease in it at all.

Frank
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:13 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Thanks

Thanks Frank for sharing your expert knowledge. Now I will know the right things to say to Camping World when they repack the bearings in the spring. I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me.

All the best,
Doug
Old 11-30-2021, 10:47 PM   #12

California
Not a fan of camping world for work on RV. For my bearings repack I use Charles Swab tire store. Done every spring and have not had any problems. Also do not use the EX lube at all.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:20 AM   #13

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the tip! I have been losing confidence in Camping World for a few years now for several reasons. I will take your advice and find a good axel shop. That makes a lot of sense.

Doug
Old 12-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #14

California
I found the Hub rubber cover at my two local Auto parts stores, Napa and O'reillys
Oops I didn't read down the list od replies to see your nor asking for the Rubber covers.
Napa and O'reillys auto stores do stock Lots of trailer parts.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500
2016 Dutchmen Kodiak, Ultra Lite
trucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:51 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
Center Caps

Thanks Trucking.