Voltage 3605 leaf springs - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 03:30 AM   #1

Arkansas
Voltage 3605 leaf springs

Has anyone replaced the leaf springs on their voltage or had problems with them ?
I've had my 3605 now 4 weeks just returned from a trip to the Bighorn mountains in Wyoming and I've got flat leaf springs 2 of them are actually slightly beyond flat I hinkle one may have a broken leaf I'm thinking these springs are not heavy enough for the trailer took it across the scales today on the way home it is under the GVWR of 16,800 lbs not by much at 16,600 but it is under .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #2

Pennsylvania
Yes, twice actually. I've told this story a few times so sorry to the folks who’ve heard it before.

Rig was still quite new and we were in the Black hills intending to explore points southwest when I noticed the right rear tire worn badly on the outside edge, other three were ok. Decided to return home (1,400 miles) after talking with the dealer & Keystone.

I was of course accused of being overloading and denied warranty coverage. We were carrying food, clothes, lawn chairs, hoses, required household items, many empty cabinets, 30 gallons of fresh water, and a 900 lb. golf cart (about the weight of one full dress cycle). It was useless trying to explain to Keystone that overloading does not wear one tire on the outside edge.

I contacted LCI and they requested pictures of the under carriage to try and determine what could be wrong. The unit was unloaded when the pictures were taken. Axles still had the proper arc as shown with a long straight edge, but they immediately noticed the springs had failed, and were concerned with the overall installation of the suspension. They denied making the suspension installation statement the following day. During a three way phone call with Keystone and LCI, it was suggested we were carrying too much food in the kitchen (let that sink in for a while).

After six weeks of “negotiations” LCI agreed to replace all four springs. Some weeks later after taking it in for the repair I picked it up and brought it home, it's about a 50 mile drive from the dealer completely empty. Got home and looked to find the springs were again flattened out. Having grown weary of the fight I took it to a spring & axle shop and had it repaired correctly. They installed another leaf just below the main leaf that also backs up the eye bolts, fixed the Equiflex mount allowing it to move freely, and did an alignment. Springs look good now with an arc and it actually lifted the unit about 2”, no problems ever since.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #3

Arkansas
Well that's what I figured thank you for your reply guess I will just fix it on my own the right way

Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #4

Arkansas
I ended up ordering a set of 4000 lb springs online to replace the originals we are fultimers and can't be jerking around with them on warranty claims so I will just fix there short comings my self kinda use to it by now lol

Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottxpc View Post
I ended up ordering a set of 4000 lb springs online to replace the originals we are fultimers and can't be jerking around with them on warranty claims so I will just fix there short comings my self kinda use to it by now lol

Good call, I was in a hurry to get it done so we could get back on the road. It was in the shop and on jack stands so we got er done that way.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #6

Arkansas
I could not find a local spring shop where I'm at so I ordered them online need it fixed asap so I can hit the road I will have them Thursday

Old 08-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Louisiana
The RV industry is pathetic. They knowingly put out inferior products and continue to do so, but this crosses the line. Yes it sucks that we regularly have to repair fit and finish items inside of our RVs, but when they deny safety issues such as this, it is outright negligence. What is it going to take for them to become responsible like the automobile industry has had to become? I'm guessing a few unnecessary fatalities due to faulty frames/suspension/etc.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #8

Oregon
Voltage 3200 leaf spring shackle

Have not had actual leaf spring issues on my 2013 Voltage 3200 but did have the passenger side shackle completely tear out. The repair shop said they had never seen anything like it as one end just completely ripped out as to the usual elongated holes which will eventually fail. Said must have hit the mother of all pot holes or something, which of course we never felt! Amazing that they would make such a critical part out of aluminum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1502.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	4344  
israelws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #9

Oregon
The industry as a whole is pathetic. The quality of workmanship and inferior parts is ridiculous. Need a couple of good class action lawsuits to wake them up I guess.
israelws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #10

California
I never had any spring problem on my V3605 that I had for two years. One difference could be that I was 1,000 lbs below the 14,000 lbs rated axles.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:30 AM   #11

Texas
Isn't the industry as a whole Lippert, when it comes to the chassis we all roll on?
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:34 AM   #12

Arkansas
Yes it is Lippert who makes most everything in our RV'S

Old 08-10-2017, 12:44 AM   #13

Texas
I also suspect Dutchman often specs Lippert rolling packages that leave far less "headroom" than we desire.

My Aerolite tandem axle 213 has barely more gvw capacity than my single axle toy hauler.

My brother just bought a "Retro" that weighed 4000 empty, rolling on a tandem trailer with almost 7000lb gvw. His cargo capacity is as much as my toy hauler!

I told him he should feel really good about towing a gorgeous TT that was light on it's feet!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:15 AM   #14

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
I also suspect Dutchman often specs Lippert rolling packages that leave far less "headroom" than we desire.

My Aerolite tandem axle 213 has barely more gvw capacity than my single axle toy hauler.

My brother just bought a "Retro" that weighed 4000 empty, rolling on a tandem trailer with almost 7000lb gvw. His cargo capacity is as much as my toy hauler!

I told him he should feel really good about towing a gorgeous TT that was light on it's feet!
Yeah what's worse is I left the dealer lot went straight to a truck scale and the trailer weight was 14,600 compared to the door sticker and factory claimed dry weight of 13,700 so now with my 16,800 GVWR that means I have a toy hauler with 2200 pounds of cargo capacity and leaf springs that can't even handle that these things are really a joke if you think about it the 3605 should have been a three axle trailer the you would have some CCC !

Old 08-10-2017, 04:01 AM   #15

Illinois
Broken hanger

That's what happened last trip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2495 (2).jpg
Views:	445
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	4358   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2494 (2).jpg
Views:	553
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	4359  
Old 08-10-2017, 11:16 PM   #16

Arkansas
Are those spring hangers ripping off ?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:05 AM   #17

This week we went out on an excursion with some family and friends. The Voltage was loaded out with about 2000 in the bay of motorcycles. About 100 miles into the trip another camper following us called me and told me my unit is leaning to the right maybe 4 to 6 inches. We continued to the camp site and checked under the rig. Nothing was obviously wrong yet something was wrong. That evening I read this thread and said I bet my springs are weak.. Another look under the belly and sure enough the springs are flat now without any Motorcycles in the bay. I suppose I will have to take it to an undercarriage shop and have the suspension rebuilt.
Our Voltage is 5 years old. What a weak and crappy suspension system. Thanks Lippert.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #18

Illinois
Yes
Old 08-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #19

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
This week we went out on an excursion with some family and friends. The Voltage was loaded out with about 2000 in the bay of motorcycles. About 100 miles into the trip another camper following us called me and told me my unit is leaning to the right maybe 4 to 6 inches. We continued to the camp site and checked under the rig. Nothing was obviously wrong yet something was wrong. That evening I read this thread and said I bet my springs are weak.. Another look under the belly and sure enough the springs are flat now without any Motorcycles in the bay. I suppose I will have to take it to an undercarriage shop and have the suspension rebuilt.
Our Voltage is 5 years old. What a weak and crappy suspension system. Thanks Lippert.
Sorry your having trouble on the road however at least you got 5 years out of them mine is 1 month old lol

Old 08-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #20

Ontario
That's one of the reasons I insisted on a tri-axle instead of a tandem for this hauler.

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote