Voltage 3200 Microwave removal? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2015, 01:15 AM   #1

Utah
Voltage 3200 Microwave removal?

Hi all,

I have a 2012 Voltage 3200. Long story short, I plugged into an open neutral circuit and fried my microwave, outside TV and convertor. After waiting two weeks for the repair shop to inform me that they still hadn't ordered parts, I decided to dive in and do it myself.

I found the convertor and pulled it in 5 minutes. New one on the way from Amazon with 2 day shipping. The outside TV going was actually a blessing. The old TV was crap, and the new TV is larger, brighter and light years smarter. The microwave has turned out to be a conundrum however. I have the install manual, and like most OTR microwaves is attached via a mounting panel in the rear and by two retainer screws. Removing these however has no effect at all. Something else is holding the silly thing in. I've examined the vent from the outside, and can't see anything. No other visible means of support.

So, anyone here have experience with removal/install of microwaves in Voltage trailers?

Thanks in advance!

GB

Greybaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:12 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Residentials have the two screws and the mounting bracket as you have mention. Usually, in this case the micro needs to be lifted out of the mounting bracket.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:17 AM   #3

Alabama
We recently replaced our OTR micro/conv combo. The two screws release it from the mounting bracket at back, but ours was also bolted through from above. The cabinet above the microwave had a false bottom, which once removed, allowed access to the two bolts, then the microwave would rotate down and could be lifted off the wall bracket. Maybe your is the same?

2013 Voltage 3895
2011 Ford F-350 DRW w/ Firestone airbags and heavy duty compressor, Edge Insight CTS, Curt Q24
Moogal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #4

Utah
I thought that might be it too. Was your bottom tacked down? I was a little worried about ripping it up, but maybe I'll try a little more 'persuasion'.

Update: You were correct. The bottom is held on with small Brads, but below it are two large mounting screws. Once these were removed the oven came out easily. I took pictures and will post a step by step for the next poor slob who wonders how this is done.

Thanks!

GB
Old 07-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #5

Utah
Voltage 3200 (possibly others) Microwave Removal Walkthrough

In order to save folks some of the headache I went through getting my microwave out, I thought I'd document the steps needed to remove the oven from the cabinet.

1. Remove the two small screws holding the plastic vent intake cover onto the top front of the microwave:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MW1.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2362

2. The front will now look like this:

Name:	MW2.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2363

3. Find the two retainer screws at the top front corners of the microwave:

Name:	MW3.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	2364Click image for larger version

Name:	MW4.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	2365

*DO NOT* remove them yet.

4. Clear out the shelf above your microwave. You need to free the shelf veneer. I accomplished this by inserting my fingers in the power cord hole and gently pulling up. The veneer is held in place with several small brads. Be careful not to break the veneer. I wasn't able to easily remove the veneer, but could slide it up enough to get to the top anchor screws:

Name:	MW5.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	2366

5. Find the two large top anchor screws and remove them:

Name:	MW6.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	2367

6. Now, while holding the microwave in place by supporting it from the bottom (a second pair of hands is nice here), remove the front retainer screws. Then tip the oven forward enough to gently lift it off of the tabs at the bottom of the mounting plate.

Success!

My plan, once I get my oven replaced, is to remove all the brads, and re-secure the veneer shelf to the cabinet using small flathead wood screws. That way it'll be much easier to repeat the process if necessary in the future.

Hope this helps someone avoid some thrashing!

GB
Old 07-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

New York
GB - thank you for posting a step by step.......these type of fixes are always helpful!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:37 AM   #7

Alabama
Glad I could help. Also, I'm not sure what you plan to do to replace your Dometic microwave, but we found them to be quite expensive (over $1200 to replace our conv/micro combo). Most of the OTR microwaves are the same size with very small variations between manufacturers, so we found a much higher end Whirlpool with some additional features in stainless steel for about half the price. Mounting the new one was fairly straightforward, we installed the new mounting kit, didn't need to mess with the existing vent, and bolted in the new one.

2013 Voltage 3895
2011 Ford F-350 DRW w/ Firestone airbags and heavy duty compressor, Edge Insight CTS, Curt Q24
Moogal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybaer View Post
In order to save folks some of the headache I went through getting my microwave out, I thought I'd document the steps needed to remove the oven from the cabinet.

1. Remove the two small screws holding the plastic vent intake cover onto the top front of the microwave:

Attachment 2362

2. The front will now look like this:

Attachment 2363

3. Find the two retainer screws at the top front corners of the microwave:

Attachment 2364Attachment 2365

*DO NOT* remove them yet.

4. Clear out the shelf above your microwave. You need to free the shelf veneer. I accomplished this by inserting my fingers in the power cord hole and gently pulling up. The veneer is held in place with several small brads. Be careful not to break the veneer. I wasn't able to easily remove the veneer, but could slide it up enough to get to the top anchor screws:

Attachment 2366

5. Find the two large top anchor screws and remove them:

Attachment 2367

6. Now, while holding the microwave in place by supporting it from the bottom (a second pair of hands is nice here), remove the front retainer screws. Then tip the oven forward enough to gently lift it off of the tabs at the bottom of the mounting plate.

Success!

My plan, once I get my oven replaced, is to remove all the brads, and re-secure the veneer shelf to the cabinet using small flathead wood screws. That way it'll be much easier to repeat the process if necessary in the future.

Hope this helps someone avoid some thrashing!

GB
h
You list a few steps that seem to be unnecessary. I don't see how the front grill has any impact on how the unit is secured. The instructions state not to remove the metal screws, the ones that go into the body of the unit. Those never did get removed that I read.
Those are the steps I find unnecessary because I haven't installed a microwave using those steps. It's usually the top mounting bolts removed and a lift off from the bracket. Maybe they are installed differently in the RV world.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote