Update new tires - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2015, 02:07 AM   #1

Update new tires

I finally got my new 17.5 tires and rims installed on my Voltage. These are the Continental brand J rated tires, They sure are pretty but will they perform?? This past week we took a short 100+ trip to Beverly beach. This 5th wheel has never trailered so well. No swaying and felt like a solid rig not like before where it swayed and jerked. The jerking before I think was the trail air balloon tire being at 55psi so I pumped it up to 90 or so psi. Back to the tires, I ran them at a solid 75 most of the trip, which I never did with the Maxxis. When I arrived the first thing I did was feel the tires to see if they were hot.. Nope. just warm.
I think going to the 17.5 J rated is the best thing I have done to my RV. No more tire worries.
I would strongly recommend looking at these tires if your having blow out problems. The tires alone are rated for more than the entire rig loaded up to max with a 4 thousand pound reserve not even counting in the tongue weight which gives me a larger reserve. Overkill, I dont think so.. just a peace of mind.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #2

Arizona
I got the same results with Michelin XPS Ribs.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:33 AM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
I finally got my new 17.5 tires and rims installed on my Voltage. These are the Continental brand J rated tires, They sure are pretty but will they perform?? This past week we took a short 100+ trip to Beverly beach. This 5th wheel has never trailered so well. No swaying and felt like a solid rig not like before where it swayed and jerked. The jerking before I think was the trail air balloon tire being at 55psi so I pumped it up to 90 or so psi. Back to the tires, I ran them at a solid 75 most of the trip, which I never did with the Maxxis. When I arrived the first thing I did was feel the tires to see if they were hot.. Nope. just warm.
I think going to the 17.5 J rated is the best thing I have done to my RV. No more tire worries.
I would strongly recommend looking at these tires if your having blow out problems. The tires alone are rated for more than the entire rig loaded up to max with a 4 thousand pound reserve not even counting in the tongue weight which gives me a larger reserve. Overkill, I dont think so.. just a peace of mind.
Welcome to the club....

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

Texas
What wheels did you go with? This is one of those threads that needs pics....
SpeedyWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

California
Here is what I put on mine.
17.5x6.75 HWT Series 07 Aluminum Trailer Wheel, 8x6.50 Center Cap Included
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:17 AM   #6

Texas
I like those a lot.

SpeedyWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote