Tv doesn't work on batteries - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #1

Washington
Tv doesn't work on batteries

Hi, new to the rv world. Just picked up my voltage 3805. When I'm on battery power my tvs or outlets don't work. Am I missing something?

NW Mt.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #2

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Mt.rider View Post
Hi, new to the rv world. Just picked up my voltage 3805. When I'm on battery power my tvs or outlets don't work. Am I missing something?
I answered my question. Going to get an inverter and batteries.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #3

Wyoming
Wow... yes, you are.

Your lights, slideouts, and a few other systems will run on 12-volt DC power, which comes from your batteries.

Your TV, air conditioners, electrical outlets, etc run on 110-volt AC power... and for that, you will need to either be connected to shore power, or run your generator to supply it.

I don't mean to sound condescending here (I really don't, we all had to learn somewhere)... but seeing how it's obvious that you lack knowledge of many of the basics, you may want to invest in a RVing for Dummies type book, or find someone local to spend some time explaining & demonstrating the basics to you.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

Tennessee
You can always buy a 12 volt tv if a generator or shore power isn't available.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Wow... yes, you are.

Your lights, slideouts, and a few other systems will run on 12-volt DC power, which comes from your batteries.

Your TV, air conditioners, electrical outlets, etc run on 110-volt AC power... and for that, you will need to either be connected to shore power, or run your generator to supply it.

I don't mean to sound condescending here (I really don't, we all had to learn somewhere)... but seeing how it's obvious that you lack knowledge of many of the basics, you may want to invest in a RVing for Dummies type book, or find someone local to spend some time explaining & demonstrating the basics to you.
Thanks for your input. I do know all of the things u stated. I just assumed after paying as much as I did it would come with an inverter like a couch does and I just missed it someplace. After a short bit of research I found it needs to be added. Which I stated on my first post. Im a chief engineer on a 125' fishing vessel which has ac and dc systems plus many more. So I'm pretty sure my knowledge is very extensive.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Thanks for your input. I do know all of the things u stated. I just assumed after paying as much as I did it would come with an inverter like a couch does and I just missed it someplace. After a short bit of research I found it needs to be added. Which I stated on my first post. Im a chief engineer on a 125' fishing vessel which has ac and dc systems plus many more. So I'm pretty sure my knowledge is very extensive.
Edgar Hansen???
Old 05-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #7

Texas
Quote:
........ Im a chief engineer on a 125' fishing vessel which has ac and dc systems plus many more. So I'm pretty sure my knowledge is very extensive.
Welcome Jeff.
We were full-time live-aboards on my boat for over 25 years and are also new to RV;s and this forum. I was surprised to find out that many RV's come with-out inverters. Just thought it would be standard equipment. My inverter and battery banks kept my Fridge and TV happy for approx 20 hours. I also have a Honda 2K genny that i never used except to keep it excercized for an hour or so once a month. I bought it for emergencies. Not sure I will ever use it on the RV though.
I will probably end up bringing some boat technology onto my RV on a gradual basis. First, I have to study my electrical and propane system. My fridge will run on propane while underway and this is new to me. I will give it chance to see how well it works, If not happy, I will put it on inverter. I am in the process of moving in and haven't checked everything out yet. Not sure, but I think mine already has inverter. I guess I can just turn off 120V AC power and see what still works. I believe all my lights are 12V which is a good thing. I didnt find any switch for an inverter so I'm guessing it's not there. Been too busy off-loading boat in to mini-storage and now moving from mini-storage into boat.
Also been busy on here and other RV forums with loads of questions.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
Welcome Jeff.
We were full-time live-aboards on my boat for over 25 years and are also new to RV;s and this forum. I was surprised to find out that many RV's come with-out inverters. Just thought it would be standard equipment. My inverter and battery banks kept my Fridge and TV happy for approx 20 hours. I also have a Honda 2K genny that i never used except to keep it excercized for an hour or so once a month. I bought it for emergencies. Not sure I will ever use it on the RV though.
I will probably end up bringing some boat technology onto my RV on a gradual basis. First, I have to study my electrical and propane system. My fridge will run on propane while underway and this is new to me. I will give it chance to see how well it works, If not happy, I will put it on inverter. I am in the process of moving in and haven't checked everything out yet. Not sure, but I think mine already has inverter. I guess I can just turn off 120V AC power and see what still works. I believe all my lights are 12V which is a good thing. I didnt find any switch for an inverter so I'm guessing it's not there. Been too busy off-loading boat in to mini-storage and now moving from mini-storage into boat.
Also been busy on here and other RV forums with loads of questions.
I went to cat yesterday and got two 8d maintenance free batteries and a 5k inverter and did it all in one day... long day lol. I have the whole rv on batteries now when I need it, which is what I wanted. Taking it out for the long weekend and will test the hours I get out of it.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #9

Wyoming
Quote:
I went to cat yesterday and got two 8d maintenance free batteries and a 5k inverter and did it all in one day... long day lol. I have the whole rv on batteries now when I need it, which is what I wanted. Taking it out for the long weekend and will test the hours I get out of it.
Nice!

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote