Trailer not riding level when hooked to truck - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2017, 02:25 AM   #1

California
Trailer not riding level when hooked to truck

I bought my Voltage 3200 last September new from a dealer. When I bought it I had a lot of issues with the dealer. One issue that I am having is that the trailer does not ride level. I towed it away with a 2013 Ford F-250 Short bed with air bags and a Demco Hijacker auto slider hitch. Realizing after a few trips that the trailer has too much tongue weight, I have order a new truck.

The trailer has the Tri-Glide TrailAir King Pin. The kingpin is all the way up and the hitch is all the way down. With both of those adjusted to the extreme I still have a large gap (8"-9") between the bed rails and the trailer.

I should also let you know that my new 2017 Ford F-350 long bed will be arriving within the next week and a half. The new truck is going to sit even taller than the old truck. Both trucks are stock. The new bed height is about 4" taller and the bed rails are also about 1.5" taller than the old truck. I know this is going to make things even worse for me. On the plus side, the new truck will come with a reese hitch that can be adjusted down 1.5" lower than the demco.

I also just ordered a MORryde king pin to replace the Tri-Glide. I am replacing the kingpin because its profile is a lot smaller and will allow me to make the gap on the new truck be about 5.5-6" like I was recommended.

My question is once I do all that I know that the trailer still will not be level. I will need to raise it somehow. I have heard of some blocks made by trailerblocks.com. The blocks come in a 3" max height. If I need to go taller then the other option I have heard of is once I find out how much it needs to be raised is to have a suspension shop install taller springs. Has anyone else ran into the issue I am having and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks.

Mr. Mohon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #2

Iowa
I had the same problem with my F-350, I raised the pin box up to the highest position and I added a Correct Track kit (made by Lippert) to the suspension, it raised the camper 2". It is still nose high by about 2" but I haven't done anything else. I'm thinking 17.5" tires and wheels might bring it up to level.

dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs2 View Post
I had the same problem with my F-350, I raised the pin box up to the highest position and I added a Correct Track kit (made by Lippert) to the suspension, it raised the camper 2". It is still nose high by about 2" but I haven't done anything else. I'm thinking 17.5" tires and wheels might bring it up to level.
17.5 tires wouldn't make a difference. I know as that's what I have on mine. I think you will find most on this site that tow a Voltage the front is up. Mine is but still tows just fine. It's no big deal.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #4

Iowa
Thanks for the info on the tires Mike...congratulations on the motor home!
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Ted

Mississippi
I have almost the same rig as you...2016 F350 SRW long bed 2014 3200 with trail hitch and B&W hitch. It squat down my truck and the trailer was empty. I moved B&W hitch forward all the way towards cab and installed upper Tork Lift Stable Loads. I can't comment on how much improvement yet since I just did this in the last couple of weeks and have not hooked up unit for another couple weeks. I believe it will help.

I forgot to post picture... The Stable Loads are 3 inch blocks BTW
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #6

North Carolina
My 2951 sits around 3in high in the nose. And I have 7in clearance on truck rails 2015 Ram 3500 Dually.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
Ted

Mississippi
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...picture932.jpg
Old 02-24-2017, 03:45 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I have almost the same rig as you...2016 F350 SRW long bed 2014 3200 with trail hitch and B&W hitch. It squat down my truck and the trailer was empty. I moved B&W hitch forward all the way towards cab and installed upper Tork Lift Stable Loads. I can't comment on how much improvement yet since I just did this in the last couple of weeks and have not hooked up unit for another couple weeks. I believe it will help.

I forgot to post picture... The Stable Loads are 3 inch blocks BTW
Are the Stable Loads you are talking about on your truck?
Old 02-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
Ted

Mississippi
Not in the picture I attached. I have put them on my truck, but have not hooked unit back up to it yet. Will do that in about two weeks. I also moved my hitch in the truck forward two inches that does not show up in picture also.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #10

Alberta
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mohon View Post
I bought my Voltage 3200 last September new from a dealer. When I bought it I had a lot of issues with the dealer. One issue that I am having is that the trailer does not ride level. I towed it away with a 2013 Ford F-250 Short bed with air bags and a Demco Hijacker auto slider hitch. Realizing after a few trips that the trailer has too much tongue weight, I have order a new truck.

The trailer has the Tri-Glide TrailAir King Pin. The kingpin is all the way up and the hitch is all the way down. With both of those adjusted to the extreme I still have a large gap (8"-9") between the bed rails and the trailer.

I should also let you know that my new 2017 Ford F-350 long bed will be arriving within the next week and a half. The new truck is going to sit even taller than the old truck. Both trucks are stock. The new bed height is about 4" taller and the bed rails are also about 1.5" taller than the old truck. I know this is going to make things even worse for me. On the plus side, the new truck will come with a reese hitch that can be adjusted down 1.5" lower than the demco.

I also just ordered a MORryde king pin to replace the Tri-Glide. I am replacing the kingpin because its profile is a lot smaller and will allow me to make the gap on the new truck be about 5.5-6" like I was recommended.

My question is once I do all that I know that the trailer still will not be level. I will need to raise it somehow. I have heard of some blocks made by trailerblocks.com. The blocks come in a 3" max height. If I need to go taller then the other option I have heard of is once I find out how much it needs to be raised is to have a suspension shop install taller springs. Has anyone else ran into the issue I am having and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks.
I have the same issue, I was running a 2012 F-350 with my Voltage 3200 and a Reese 20K hitch, even with all hitch and pin box adjustments done it was front high. My local heavy duty trailer shop that works on Tractor Trailer units said they can do a frame lift on the entire trailer up to 4" ($1200.00) to help in leveling the trailer out. I bought a new 2017 F-350 Platinum and will have to see where it all shakes out once the snow melts, before I decide on a frame lift, or just live with the nose high position.
2015 Commander 800XT
switz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #11

Colorado
Sigh...well I have a Silverado 3500 and my Voltage is nice and level when hooked up towing. LOL!!!

A lot might be because I have a Highway Products bed, they installed the Reese 30K hitch. So I run Firestone air bags at 50 psi to get things level when towing.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:02 AM   #12
Ted

Mississippi
Glad you have things running smooth... I hope when I hook mine back up it does to. I wonder if you didn't have those air bags how it would be? Any ideas....
Old 02-28-2017, 12:54 AM   #13

Colorado
I think, if I didn't have the air bags, the rear would sink about 2" maybe 3". Not that big of a deal...but why not ride level?

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:11 AM   #14
Ted

Mississippi
10 4