Tire Shredding (Third Time) - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #1

California
Tire Shredding (Third Time)

This has gotten kind of old.. my fault for not going to heavier G rated tires earlier. the E rated last about 2.5 years... then do what you see in the photos. Hope this doesn't happen to you on the road. I had to change the destroyed tire on the road, then a second one lost air pressure (I use a TPMS system to monitor the tires now) so had to limp into camp.

Left the trailer on its jacks at the campsite in Ocotillo Wells, and drove out to Brawley with where I found Daniel's Tire and had them install 6 new G rated tires on the wheels.

Got the Goodyear G614 RST regroovable tires. Shouldn't have problems in the future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5662000.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	6135

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5683000.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	6136

Old 02-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #2

Wyoming
Wow... that's a lot of bad luck.

Good for you on getting the TPMS... and also for the G614s. I've been running them on my rig since 2014, and have had no serious issues. I am on my 2nd set now.

All of that said... for all of that bad luck, gotta ask a few questions:

- Have all of the blowouts been on the same side?

- Have you run your rig across a set of CAT scales (or similar) to check for overweight, and/or left-to-right balance issues?

- Have you ever had your axle alignment checked?

The addition of the TPMS will help you guard against under-inflation, and the G614s will give you peace of mind. But.. that said.. if you rig is overweight, significantly unbalanced, or if the axles are out of alignment and causing your tires to 'scrub' while rolling down the road... then you're still going to have problems.

Wishing you much better luck in the future!!

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #3

Florida
Usually travel in central Florida and either carry 3 Full size 4 wheelers
For the mud parks or our golf cart for Disney Fort wilderness or RV parks
We’ve only put a few thousand miles on our voltage the last couple years
(like I said we stay in central fla within 400 miles or so from home)
On our last trip from Disney to home about 90 miles got home and had
Bubble in sidewall We were blessed to make it without damage I have wanted
To change to g rated tires since day one. Getting ready to camp again with
G rated sailun my friends run them without any issues on their toy-haulers
Glad you guys are all good all our best Largo fla
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #4

California
I know I'm overweight for sure, but only by 500 pounds. The axles are unknown as to whether there's a scrub issue. The right rear is the one that has blown both times. There was also a problem with the left side middle tire once upon a time. So I don't know. I dread the idea of having someone try to "align" anything. Really great info you wrote there... appreciated!
Old 02-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #5

Wyoming
Axle alignment isn't that big of a thing... here's a thread I began a couple years ago on mine:

https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...eted-5798.html
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:53 PM   #6

Florida
On our voltage last year we had the axles checked for alignment
Springs and hangers checked Buy a reputable shop everything
Checked out good they said if it needed an alignment it is not
that big a deal they do it on toy haulers often we are blessed
To have a good shop near by
Old 02-08-2020, 04:24 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Axle alignment isn't that big of a thing... here's a thread I began a couple years ago on mine:

https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...eted-5798.html
Read your post. Good info there. Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #8

Alaska
Put a bunch on my voltage at first a lot in Cali. First set of stock tires were were replaced at 18 k not one issue. Second set of tires F rated lasted 40 k
After things went south Axle alignment way off. After several hundred all is well again
Wbgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:02 PM   #9

Nebraska
I’m a newbie so please be don’t criticize but when u say a reputable shop are u talking a tire store that will also do vehicle brakes etc or another type of shop. I have a 5th wheel and being so new don’t know where to take it for things like having the wheel bearings repacked, axle alignment etc.
LorieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:11 AM   #10

California
I'd love to upgrade to G rated, but my wheels are only rated to 80 PSI.
Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:25 AM   #11

Arizona
To the newbees, don't buy any tire made in China and if you have them get rid of them. The OP has a triple axle trailer so he can get LT truck tires installed and not have to go with a G tire (at a higher pressure that will shake his trailer to toothpicks). I've been running Michelin XPS Rib truck tires since my trailer was new in 2014 and not a single tire issue and the trailer has been all over the USA.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:05 AM   #12

California
Reputable RV Service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorieM View Post
I’m a newbie so please be don’t criticize but when u say a reputable shop are u talking a tire store that will also do vehicle brakes etc or another type of shop. I have a 5th wheel and being so new don’t know where to take it for things like having the wheel bearings repacked, axle alignment etc.
Well, a "reputable" shop is really a conundrum. Why? Because one person's reputable is another person's nightmare. We all have different expectations. Some are easy to meet, while others are not. You can always find haters online, right? As well as lovers. And those who only lurk (but nobody knows who they are). So "reputable" is kind of a numbers game. The more business a shop does, the more likely they are to have a "good reputation." BUT... the more likely they are to do a bad job for somebody and piss them off. Thus, the bad reviews on Yelp and Amazon... as well as the good reviews for the same shops.

Most RV Service shops will do a good job with the basic stuff. I wouldn't stress over axle alignment. Why? Because even if you DO go with an alignment, there's no way to know that anything they changed made you trailer any better, without pulling it for many miles and checking the tire wear. You'd have to start with fresh tires to be able to tell if they were scuffing or not. Too many variables.

I'd recommend you enjoy your rig. Follow the recommended bearing lube protocols. You might have the kind with grease fittings installed so a grease gun is all that's needed to keep 'em lubed.

Also, remember that these forums aren't "God's truth" with respect to anything. Each person on here has a different opinion, different experiences, and different levels of education, as well as different expectations.

Glean what you can from the words you read... talk to people you camp with... and don't be afraid to make a phone call to the RV Service place you choose, to check them out.

Hope this helps. Oh, and one more thing... the level of service you get from whatever shop you choose may vary from day to day, depending on how many staff members they have, who's doing the work, and if they're hungry and in pain while they're working on your rig. Hangry people don't do as nice a job as happy people (hangry=hungry and angry).

Good luck. I know, hope is not a strategy, and luck is just random. You'll figure it out.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:13 AM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
To the newbees, don't buy any tire made in China and if you have them get rid of them. The OP has a triple axle trailer so he can get LT truck tires installed and not have to go with a G tire (at a higher pressure that will shake his trailer to toothpicks). I've been running Michelin XPS Rib truck tires since my trailer was new in 2014 and not a single tire issue and the trailer has been all over the USA.
It's interesting to note that I can't feel any extra shake... don't know if they trailer is "shaking to toothpicks" or not... but it does seem to be easier to pull. I get the sensation (maybe it's just psychological) that there's less drag. Anyway, there is some give in the G rated tire... and the leaf springs, well, they're aren't there for a plush ride, that's for sure... but all that said, the G rated tires (for me) are needed to handle the extra weight. The old E rated tires lasted 5,000 miles... which seems like a low number, but anyway. We'll see how the G rated rubber lasts.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:20 AM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will59 View Post
I'd love to upgrade to G rated, but my wheels are only rated to 80 PSI.
Here's a crazy idea... only put 80 psi in your G rated tires. The wheels you have may be rated at 80 psi... but, they will take more, because when you're driving down the road, the psi goes up... so if you start with 80 COLD... you'll be at 90 on a warm day. Mine were running 100 psi after starting at 80... which is really interesting to note. Why? Hot road, heavy load, too much rolling resistance, more friction, probably towed out or in. So pressure builds up as heat rises.

I'm not saying to do anything outside of your safety zone, of course. If your rig isn't that heavy, and you have 3 axles... heck, you're fine with E rated tires. I wouldn't change 'em. But I'm just north of 19,000 pounds. And the E rated units did last 5,000 miles... so, well, there you go. Food for thought. My favorite saying of all time is this: "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." I try to apply that to most things in life. Don't go crazy, of course, but think about safety and building in a little room to spare. Certainly can't hurt anything.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #15

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
It's interesting to note that I can't feel any extra shake... don't know if they trailer is "shaking to toothpicks" or not... but it does seem to be easier to pull. I get the sensation (maybe it's just psychological) that there's less drag. Anyway, there is some give in the G rated tire... and the leaf springs, well, they're aren't there for a plush ride, that's for sure... but all that said, the G rated tires (for me) are needed to handle the extra weight. The old E rated tires lasted 5,000 miles... which seems like a low number, but anyway. We'll see how the G rated rubber lasts.
What extra weight? Your trailer and mine max out at 19,000 pounds. Are you carrying a lot more weight than that?
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:20 AM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
What extra weight? Your trailer and mine max out at 19,000 pounds. Are you carrying a lot more weight than that?
Just my addition on paper...

Two Can Am Outlanders... 1800 lbs
70 gallons water... 560 lbs
40 gallons fuel... 250 lbs
Food, clothing, chairs, dishes, ice, batteries, gear... 500 lbs

So that brings the total weight of goodies to 3110 lbs... hmm... I guess I'm just under the maximum 3272 lbs stated on the rig. I could add a little more water, I suppose, for longer trips.

Anyway, I may have left something out. Thanks for bringing this up!
Old 02-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Just my addition on paper...

Two Can Am Outlanders... 1800 lbs
70 gallons water... 560 lbs
40 gallons fuel... 250 lbs
Food, clothing, chairs, dishes, ice, batteries, gear... 500 lbs

So that brings the total weight of goodies to 3110 lbs... hmm... I guess I'm just under the maximum 3272 lbs stated on the rig. I could add a little more water, I suppose, for longer trips.

Anyway, I may have left something out. Thanks for bringing this up!
I think you are off on the food, CLOTHING, etc... just my wife alone can pack 500 pounds
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #18

Florida
Quote:

Anyway, I may have left something out.
Thanks for bringing this up!
People maybe?
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:04 PM   #19

Florida
Re Reputable shop. A private owned shop that works on RV’s
Including warranty work they make all the same phone calls for #Warranty as a big box
Rv store would do. Work on class As to trailers everything from engines,
Roof to springs to water heaters but it’s done right we are blessed to
Have found a good shop by us
Old 02-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #20

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I think you are off on the food, CLOTHING, etc... just my wife alone can pack 500 pounds

Checked on a scale.
We managed to pack 750 lbs into a 243BHSL. Shocked me