Tire Blow Out - Page 4 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #61

Nevada
Yep I rotate tires every 5,000 miles. I've had tire shops try to dissuade me from doing this but my experience tells me much different. Great that everyone shares their info on tires they are using. Got 18,000 miles on my Westlakes but didn't rotate if I had sure I could have squeezed more mileage. Probably at 12,000 on Carlisles and they look barely used. Always do visual inspection and air pressure check before each trip. Rich look forward to observation on the sailuns. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tap
2014 V3005 Voltage Toy Hauler
2012 Dodge Ram 2500. Firestone Bags. 1 ton+ leaf spring pack basically stock

Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #62

California
More Thoughts On Tires and Unusual Wear

Remember trailer wheels & axles need to be in alignment just like your tow vehicle has alignment specifications, so does your trailer. If you continue to experience odd tire wear, maybe your out of alignment! A tire shop can quickly diagnose this and get your rig rolling straight down the road.
One other consideration that can cause a similar problem and may be difficult to spot, is suspension travel and flex. The leaf springs supporting the axles need to be free to flex as the vehicle travels down the road. If one of your spring shackles and/or pivot joints become stiff or completely frozen in place, you are going to see unusual and rapid tire wear. A stiff, binding shackle may be worse than a frozen one to diagnose because it may appear normal sometimes and stuck in one spot at other times.
There is a lot of action on these parts and they need to flex freely to keep your rig rolling straight down the road. I think someone has already posted about the advantage of a “wet bolt” kit to help minimize binding issues with the cheap stock suspension parts.
If you hear loud popping and grinding noises coming from your trailer suspension while doing slow maneuvers, chances are your suspension is binding and in need of attention!

Rob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:09 AM   #63

California
It makes sense that out of the three axles, the front and rears will have more tire wear than the middle axle's tires. Every time the trailer turns, especially hard turns on pavement, it scrubs the front and rear pairs sideways in opposite directions, with the rear appearing to take the worst of it. I am noticing the wear as back, front, then middle, going from most to least. I plan on rotating at the 1 yr mark in June.

2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote