Things learned doing reverse snowbirding - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Things learned doing reverse snowbirding

Yep, reverse snowbirding. I came out of the southwest desert after 45 years, bought this 3800 hauler and headed where I wanted to go.

I made it as far as Oklahoma where I decided to park for awhile. The things I learned here are numerous.

Lady Bugs can and will get in your RV regardless of how tight you think it is. Horizontal rain from tornadoes can take out your 'high limit temperature' switch on your Norcold refrigerator. Shooting high powered weapons out in the country is common place, especially late at night. People are friendly and caring but they do drive like crazy and hedge bets against frozen roads.

Propane in your EPIC (place number here), is a rapidly consumed commodity in cold weather. Point in fact, my hauler is usually maintained at an inside tempertaure of 68 during the day and 63 at night. My hauler with the R40 insulation, enclosed under belly and the EPIC package ate 23 gallons of $2.90 propane in 6 days. Occasionly I'd have to kick the temperature up to keep the plumbing from freezing in the belly. That wasn't always an effective idea, I've had frozen hot water lines twice in the last week. Not only the hot water lines frozen for four days the sewer dump tube froze solid. I leave the valve open to drain gray on the ground. My mistake was leaving the garden hose attached to direct the flow away from the living area. Now I just leave the adapter off and let it flow.

Basically, the EPIC package is marketing hype along with the highly touted R factor in the units. The garage with one heat duct is cold enough to hang meat. It's all good though. The furnace works and the glow of the fireplace is nice. Leveling as the ground thaws usually means adding more blocks under the jacks. Propane runs out in the middle of the night so the tank changing chore is done in the dark.

Will I stay here until summer? Of course, the sun has to shine eventually, doesn't it?

One more thing, my clothes in the slide wardrobe might have well be stored outside.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #2

Wyoming
Yeah, I can relate with the propane use. When I was in northern FL and then traveling west thru TX a few weeks ago when the cold snap was there, I was going thru a full tank of propane about every other day.

Then a friend recommended that I get one of those small ceramic fan heaters by Pelonis to supplement. It was great advise. Now I keep that little puppy on while sitting in the kitchen floor, and my furnace hardly ever pops on anymore. If I wanted the other 2 rooms heated, I'd buy 2 more. Why burn my propane when I can use the campgroud's electricity?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

Texas
The good news is that there is a warming trend on the way.

I'm ready for this cold weather to be gone. Bring on the triple digits.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote