Tank Heaters ... Repair or replace? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2016, 12:54 AM   #1

Maryland
Tank Heaters ... Repair or replace?

Folks....looking for some advice and/or ID of tank heater manufacturer.
While replacing my aft black tank dump valve I accidentally pulled one the leads out of the tank heater mat. Pulled wire appear to have a small connector which almost appears to be a snap like head. It is not obvious where this connection is made internal to the mat. Anyone with experience on these products and knows if this is repairable? If not, I guess my only option is to replace it. Let me know who manufactures these mats or where I can purchase a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Curt and Dee

2015 Voltage 3600, Yel/Blk/Slvr Full Body Paint
2013 GMC 3500 Dually with Duramax
CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:09 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
No clue...

You might be able to gently open up the edges of the pad and look for the connection. From what I have observed most of the OEM stuff is Made in China. My current MoHo has Thermaheat pads on it. I have not been able to find a website in English for them. If you decide to replace I can heartily recommend the UltraHeat pads. We have had them in the past and if my stock ThermaHeat pads ever crap out I will switch over.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMEY3600 View Post
Folks....looking for some advice and/or ID of tank heater manufacturer.
While replacing my aft black tank dump valve I accidentally pulled one the leads out of the tank heater mat. Pulled wire appear to have a small connector which almost appears to be a snap like head. It is not obvious where this connection is made internal to the mat. Anyone with experience on these products and knows if this is repairable? If not, I guess my only option is to replace it. Let me know who manufactures these mats or where I can purchase a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Try to make a very small slit to get access to the wiring. The connector you are describing sounds like a button connector, similar to a 9V battery. If that is it, snap it in place and reaseal the slit with an approriate sealant for the outer cover.

If it's not a button connector, a small solder job may fix it. I have no faith in anything electrical built for the RV industry or installed by the industry. I have found so many wiring deficiencies,
that would be in contravention of the Canadian Electrical code, if it was a stick built house it would have been condemed. Poor wirenut connections, pulled apart crimps.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:24 AM   #4

Maryland
Well....I was able to order a replacement tank heater through a local dealer (via Keystone). Exact replacement arrived in 5 business days for $33 plus freight and was easy to reinstall. Glad this job is complete but wouldn't wish this black tank valve replacement job on anyone. Most significant challenge was working with/around the underbelly cover while accessing the valve. If you will be doing this repair, I highly recommend removing the rear tire as the valve is directly behind it up inside the frame. No visible damage evident on old valve which would cause it to leak. Had the same problem on front black and grey tanks....all I can say is the valves were the same make/model and appeared lower in quality than the Valtera valves I replaced them with. Back in business....

Curt and Dee

2015 Voltage 3600, Yel/Blk/Slvr Full Body Paint
2013 GMC 3500 Dually with Duramax
CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote