Tank Heater/Warmer Switches on Voltage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

Wyoming
Tank Heater/Warmer Switches on Voltage

I did a cursory search on here, and only found one thread on it... and since I wasn't sure if this was better suited on the Plumbing forum, the Electrical forum, or none of the above since they may only be on the Voltage models, I decided to post the question here.

The question being (at least, Part 1 of it)... did anyone ever get a definitive answer from Dutchmen, or via experimentation find out which panel switches went for which tank?

I assume most (if not all) of us Voltage owners have the same or similar type of electrical panel in our rigs. Mine has 3 separate switches in a row labeled TANK HEATER... but, in true Dutchmen fashion, does not state which switch is for which tank.

As I understand it... in addition to the hot-water heater tank, my 3200 model has 5 large-volume tanks as follows:

2 - 80 gal Fresh Water tanks

2 - 39 gal Grey Water tanks (1 for the bath, 1 for the kitchen & washer)

1 - 48 gal Black Water tank

Since the temps officially got down to about 35 last night (my local thermometer said lower)... this would be good info to know.

Part 2 is this: So what happens if you run one of these heaters, and there's no water in the tank? Overheating the circuit? Melting the tank? Anything?

The reason I ask is, I normally leave the rear grey water tank dump valve open at the campsite... because I run my washer/dryer combo unit at least every other day, and one cycle combined with kitchen sink use will almost fill the tank.

So I'm wondering... since I don't know which switch controls what tank, if I turn the 'wrong' one on with no water in the tank... am I gonna fry anything and do permanent damage?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Those switches still remain a mystery Tom. I wonder too if an empty tank is heated what will happen. I would like to say it wouldn't be a problem and that's why they didn't label them BUT, it is a Dutchman product so...................

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #3

Arizona
ultraheat.com

Heater pads. 574-522-6594
I will call them and let you know what I find out.
danburke49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #4

Arizona
Just called Heater pads co. They don't have any idea how Dutchman wires switches. Called Dutchman service dept they said I would have to drop installation barrier turn on one switch at a time and feel pad to see witch is correct switch. Dutchman said the tank could melt if there isn't a third full of fluid in tank. Called my dealer in Twin Falls Idaho and they said the same thing.The dealer will call me this week when their mechanic has time to figure it out!
The design engineer for Dutchmans' electric system has to be fresh out of college; or is just a Moron who's never rved.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #5

Wyoming
Well, guess I'll find out soon enough about melting the tank...

As I stated in the OP, I've kept the dump valve on my rear grey tank open since I got here... and since the temps were forecast to drop into the lower-30s each night, I've turned all 3 switches ON each night. If I close the valve and the tank leaks... I reckon I'll know.

And so far I haven't smelt any electrical burning... so guess that means the circuits aren't overheating.

Of course, all of this is based on the premise that the tank heaters actually work. There's no feedback indicator. Just because the switch light illuminates means nothing... and there's no real way of testing them short of dropping the underpinning and checking for warmth.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 11-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #6

California
I don't plan on camping anywhere I need to use them.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Well, guess I'll find out soon enough about melting the tank...

As I stated in the OP, I've kept the dump valve on my rear grey tank open since I got here... and since the temps were forecast to drop into the lower-30s each night, I've turned all 3 switches ON each night. If I close the valve and the tank leaks... I reckon I'll know.

And so far I haven't smelt any electrical burning... so guess that means the circuits aren't overheating.

Of course, all of this is based on the premise that the tank heaters actually work. There's no feedback indicator. Just because the switch light illuminates means nothing... and there's no real way of testing them short of dropping the underpinning and checking for warmth.
Find a 12 volt source and stick a digital volt meter on it. Turn on a tank switch and you should see a flucuation in voltage. I installed a 7 segment LED display to monitor the battery voltgage so I can tell my switches are working. Just don't know which is which.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

Texas
Maybe you could shoot the underbelly with a tempurature gun to see there is any variation... and determine if it's working and if so on which tank???

Shop General Tools & Instruments Digital Temperature Meter at Lowes.com

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #9

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Maybe you could shoot the underbelly with a tempurature gun to see there is any variation... and determine if it's working and if so on which tank???

I was thinking along those lines - but I was going to "borrow" the heat sensor from our local fire department!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post

This is a great tool to have for a variety of uses. I keep one in the glove compartment on the truck to check tire and hub temps when traveling, used to check electrical panel temps, found a bay on my house they forgot to insulate, works as a stud finder on the trailer on a hot day... and the list goes on.

If you get the one with the laser pointer on it, it can double as entertainment for the cat and dog.

Well worth the $20 investment.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #11

Arizona
One other point to make is some of the furnace heat is duct into our basement. We keep our furnace at 55-60 at night and run our water heater for dishes in the evening. We've had temps in the 25-30 degrees this week. I would say at zero we will be safe but; I would be conserned about the outdoor shower and all the connections near water intakes. I put bath towels in this area around compartment doors in general!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #12

Oklahoma
I contacted Dutchman today about the issue on the location of the tank heater switches. What switch goes to what tank. Also asked them about turning them on without water in the tanks. They said that they didn't work right if all three switches were not turned on. Didn't make sense to me. Also they did not recommend having them on without some water in the tanks. And the temperature around freezing or below.
Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #13

Oklahoma
So says a Keystone/Dutchman owner relations person; Thank you for your e-mail. We do not recommend the unit to be used during extreme cold temperatures that would be below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

So then, why have the all weather package and R40 insulation and basement and belly heater ducts and tank heaters? Also, why have three individual switches that only work when all three are turned on?

These questions are rhetorical of course because the people representing the manufacture don't know the true answer.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #14

Oklahoma
I meant to say that they needed to be turned on around freezing and below.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #15

Oklahoma
It seems as if the tank heaters are bells and whistles because of previously offered photos of half ass installed heater strips located at the valve bodies, not on the tank per se.

If a tank is frozen what good will a operable valve be? It's smoke and mirrors to sell stuff.

My PEX lines froze last year and are freezing this year even with the ducting in all the supposed places. There are places where furnace heat doesn't reach. The one I think is my culprit are the lines that feed the 1/2 bath and the laundry stub out and then drop below the floor to parts unknown.

But, here again, we're not expected to use our all weather packaged RV in tempertures at or near freezing. That means full timers can count on getting water lines frozen unless extreme insulation efforts are taken.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #16

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
That means full timers can count on getting water lines frozen unless extreme insulation efforts are taken.
Take this for what it's worth... as I know many of you have been RV'ing for years, and I'm relatively new to it.

When I was getting insurance on my rig, I was asked to verify that it was for recreational use only. I replied "yes, but depending on how well I like it, I may eventually go full time in it."

When I said that, the agent told me flat out that the Voltage was not certified for full-time use... as it's components were not made for continued and/or all-weather use. She said that if I ever decided to go full-time in it, that my policy would be cancelled.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 PM   #17

Oklahoma
I made sure my Progressive agent knew I was going to be full time, no problem, they get their money and I may have insurance when I need it.

I think the Voltage is ok for continued use, you just have to stay on top of things and be your own mechanic, plumber, electrician and engineer. Gotta have your own tools of course.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:11 AM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Take this for what it's worth... as I know many of you have been RV'ing for years, and I'm relatively new to it.

When I was getting insurance on my rig, I was asked to verify that it was for recreational use only. I replied "yes, but depending on how well I like it, I may eventually go full time in it."

When I said that, the agent told me flat out that the Voltage was not certified for full-time use... as it's components were not made for continued and/or all-weather use. She said that if I ever decided to go full-time in it, that my policy would be cancelled.
Ask them to provide you with a list of RV's certified for full time use...

Somehow I don't think it is going to happen.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #19

Oklahoma
I guess I am pretty fortunate. I am in New Jersey for work and the temps have been around zero several times this winter. The wind chill around -15 degrees. So far haven't had any problem with water lines freezing. I really do not like plastic pex fittings. The pex water lines are really good but the plastic fittings not so much. They can freeze and crack, while the pex can freeze and return to their original shape. I have used the Shark fittings on another toy hauler that I owned and really liked them. They are real easy to install and hold really well.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #20

Nevada
ATCguy:

I just left Palm Creek, Casa Grande, Was yours the one that had the Ramp Door Patio open most of the time?
Rich

RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote