Structural Issue Voltage 4075 2020 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2021, 01:23 AM   #1

Florida
Structural Issue Voltage 4075 2020

To All,

I'm wondering if this issue is limited to only two 2020 Voltage 4075 5th Wheels at General RV in Tampa. I purchased my RV in May 2020. This is not my first rodeo. My first time getting to my spot in Tarpon, I pushed out the right slide slider to watch in horror as it ripped up the floor linoleum. Now in January 2021, I find out there is a structural issue that's also causing the floor to bow and mine is not the only one that has this issue. When the tech went to fix the floor, he discovered the floor was bowing, similar to another Voltage 4075 next to it. Also discovered the roof will need to be replaced. Is anyone else having this issue with their Voltage? At my wits end as how to proceed.

Michael
2020 Voltage 4075

sully0395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #2

Illinois
Don't have any idea how to proceed or if its even worth it, but I feel bad for you. Good luck.

Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:37 PM   #3

Michigan
It's a 2020 and you have not yet had it a year. The factory is responsible to fix the problems under warranty, get it to Indiana to the factory and let them replace the roof and floor under warranty. They will probably give you a new unit because the repairs will cost more than a new one.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:38 PM   #4

Colorado
Dutchmen quality

I have a 2015 Triton By Voltage, which used the same chassis as Voltage of that era. I have no idea if it is the same chassis as you have. I sympathize both with your problems and with dealing with General RV. I bought a toy hauler from General in Canton, Ohio, and did not have good luck with them.

I won't list the dozens of problems I've had to fix, but I will suggest that you check ALL of your tanks underneath. Dutchmen did a horrible job mounting the tanks and I know that when I pulled the insulation off, to add tank heaters, I went to considerable effort to shore up the tank mounting brackets.

You spent too much money on an expensive Voltage to be worried about it forever. I'd get a lawyer and go meet with General's management.
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:46 PM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisuresolar@gmail.com View Post
I have a 2015 Triton By Voltage, which used the same chassis as Voltage of that era. I have no idea if it is the same chassis as you have. I sympathize both with your problems and with dealing with General RV. I bought a toy hauler from General in Canton, Ohio, and did not have good luck with them.

I won't list the dozens of problems I've had to fix, but I will suggest that you check ALL of your tanks underneath. Dutchmen did a horrible job mounting the tanks and I know that when I pulled the insulation off, to add tank heaters, I went to considerable effort to shore up the tank mounting brackets.

You spent too much money on an expensive Voltage to be worried about it forever. I'd get a lawyer and go meet with General's management.
Don't even mess with General RV, they do nothing but rip people off. The warranty is with Dutchman and they are the one that will fix it in their factory shop. Call them and do some real complaining about General RV.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:33 AM   #6

California
Holding tanks

When my dump cables stuck, I dropped the pan cover. I found my black tank was halfway out of the bracket. The angle iron support was installed almost two inches off. Because the angle iron was off the tank it had slide half way out of the braces. Would have been a nasty mess if it would have got loose. Quality control is very much lacking at Dutchman.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:37 AM   #7

Arkansas
I have had nothing but trouble with my 2015 Voltage 3970 Epic. Roof problems, A/C leaks, A/C failures, structural failures in the floor, refrigerator problems, slide out failures, rotten flooring where the rig seats around the ramp door, plumbing ran outside of enclosed floor completely exposed despite the arctic package, holding tank valve failures, defective water pump. Some fixed under warranty. Some not. Some, like the buckled bedroom floor, Dutchmen said could not be fixed and they refused to take it back. Cannot wait for a new project so I can get rid of it.
But don't they look good sitting on the lot!
Old 02-07-2021, 04:30 AM   #8

California
Holding tanks

I’ve had several problems with my 2018 Voltage. Lift Jack for front of trailer was sliding up into floor. I fixed it my self . Holding tank was falling out of brackets, I fixed it myself, and my water pump went out. Some of the hold downs in floor where only screwed into plywood. Of course one of the China bombs blew up with only 10,000 miles on them, I replaced all of them. I think I’ve got the bugs worked out of it, I hope so. I’ve taken it from San Diego to Rochester New York and San Diego to Tennessee. I’ve replace wheel bearing and seals. I forgot I changed two of the cables for the dump values. I couldn’t afford my trailer if I had to pay somebody to do all the repairs. I dont take it to dealer because I don’t trust their workmanship. I still like it and I think for what I paid for the trailer I got good value. I had the bolt fall out of the bar connecting the two jacks in the front. As soon as I get my second vaccine I’m putting the Harley in the back and taking off again. Hope to go to Oshkosh for the EAA, Sturgis Bike Week, Reno for Hot August nights and all parts between.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:13 AM   #9

Arkansas
They won't fix it or replace. Dutchmen will find some way to make it your fault. Horrible customer service
Old 02-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #10

Illinois
I gotta say, I had a 2015 Voltage 3990 and while my initial punch list had quite a few items on it (mostly minor), it was a great unit. Only sold it because it was my 1st 5th wheel and didn't think about the layout, which wasn't great (no island in kitchen and all living room seats on one side). Since I bought it from a wholesaler in California, no one in Chicago would do my warranty work, or wanted me to wait 6 months. I cajoled General RV in Chicago to do it, and within a few weeks it was all done satisfactorily, including some body work. Guess everyone's experiences are different.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Undercarriage

Keep an eye on the springs and shackles attached to the axles. Some owners report narrow escapes after inspections. Some have actually had axles separate.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #12

California
Axles and shackles

I wonder how common the axle, shackle problem is? Is it because the trailer was loaded to max? Is it because the conditions that the unit was used on? Is this more of a problem on the bigger units with the garage? Mine is a 2951 2018. I would like to see pictures of the different breaks. Was it a poor weld? Lots of questions, I know. Just trying to avoid problem when away from home.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:09 AM   #13

Florida
After dealing with camping world and General rv in Tampa I found a rv repair shop in largo that does warranty work and deals with manufacturers with warranty issues so you don’t have to in my opinion they are very reputable Last time I took my voltage in I had them check the roof and suspension I expected the worse I was told all was well and only charged for half hour roof inspection and half hour for landing gear and suspension. If you are interested I will get you number as you are in the Tampa st Pete area
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:16 AM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypride View Post
I wonder how common the axle, shackle problem is? Is it because the trailer was loaded to max? Is it because the conditions that the unit was used on? Is this more of a problem on the bigger units with the garage? Mine is a 2951 2018. I would like to see pictures of the different breaks. Was it a poor weld? Lots of questions, I know. Just trying to avoid problem when away from home.

I think there are tons of threads on the suspension issues but in short I think the issues are mostly on the two axle units as the weight they have to support and the cheap leaf springs (they flatten out and the entire trailer drops and scrapes everywhere), shackles (thin hardware stretches and then breaks) combined with the China bomb tires are a recipe for disaster. The three axle units better spread the weight across more axles.

Personally, I think the two axle trailers are probably overloaded before you even put toys in the garage.

After I swapped out for 7 leaf American made leaf springs, new hangers and quality tires I have been in good shape.

Not sure whether to blame Lippert for the cheap hardware (as Dutchmen buys the frames from them) or to blame Dutchmen for not specifying more load capability. Either way someone dropped the ball on this. I am sure they would blame each other. It wouldn’t cost that much more to build them right but they come out of the factory lacking and dangerous.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:18 AM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalvw View Post
After dealing with camping world and General rv in Tampa I found a rv repair shop in largo that does warranty work and deals with manufacturers with warranty issues so you don’t have to in my opinion they are very reputable Last time I took my voltage in I had them check the roof and suspension I expected the worse I was told all was well and only charged for half hour roof inspection and half hour for landing gear and suspension. If you are interested I will get you number as you are in the Tampa st Pete area
Thanks but that’s a little to far for me.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #16

Florida
I was referring to sully 0395 I believe he’s in Tampa
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:05 PM   #17

Florida
Check with Neil Burnside, he owns Happy Camper RV Repair. His cell is 813-485-4103! he is AWESOME! Factory trained and RVIA Master Certified. I used him after the hurricane in Tampa in November and he helped myself and others out tremendously ... If he doesn't fix it, he will advise you on what to do. Don't forget the new factory warranty on the unit is 3 years for structure and 1 year for just about everything else.

Good LUCK!

Frank

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote