Steps to empty/flush the tanks - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #1

Utah
Steps to empty/flush the tanks

Help on draining/flushing the tanks (toilets specifically)....I had an older motorhome before so I am familiar with RV's, but this is not the same as it is so technical. Not sure if I am using the system correctly to dump/flush the tanks. Can someone tell me the proper steps to drain the tanks, also it does have 2 bathrooms.

I have had to put a hose through the back bathroom window to flush out the bathroom toilet cause when I open the valve nothing comes out and its the only way I know for sure that it is getting truly flushed/cleaned out.

This is on a 2018 Voltage v-series 3805 toy-hauler.

Riverton5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #2

Illinois
Can't speak to your model specifically but if you have two bathrooms, you have 4 holding tanks; two black and two grey. On my unit the front tanks for bath etc. were in the wet cabinet (both black and grey). For the back bath, etc., the second grey handle is above the tires on driver's side and the second black handle was back near the back drain. Drain either black tank first, then do the other black tank (assuming you have a "Y" valve and have both tanks hooked up, otherwise do one set (black and grey) at a time. Repeat with grey tanks. Then use the sani-flush and rinse out both black tanks one at a time. No way should you need a hose thru a window.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #3

Ontario
There's no rinse on the back black tank on my 3950 (but I don't use it so it doesn't matter). When we used it years ago, the only rinse we did was to hold the toilet valve open.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

Utah
Thank you, I'll let my husband know! As you know it's the part about camping you DON'T want to mess around with ;-)
Old 06-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

Utah
Thank you!
Old 06-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
There's no rinse on the back black tank on my 3950 (but I don't use it so it doesn't matter). When we used it years ago, the only rinse we did was to hold the toilet valve open.
Interesting - as my 3950 has a San-I-Flush for the rear black tank - connection is on the side below and slightly forward of the bathroom window. The connection and anti-siphon is under the sink.

Funny how the same models vary one unit to the next...
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #7

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Interesting - as my 3950 has a San-I-Flush for the rear black tank
You got me wondering if I was having another senior moment - nope, not this time. My 2011 was the first year - it doesn't have a lot of "improvements" that came in later years.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #8

Michigan
Makes sense! The model change, not the senior moment. LOL

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Colorado
I picked up a Flush King about 2 years ago and it works AMAZINGLY well for cleaning out the tanks. You attach it to the discharge pipe (where you put the hose on to dump) then put on a hose to shoot water back up the system. Anyway, 2 or 3 times filling and flushing at the dump station and it's crazy the stuff it breaks loose.
https://www.campingworld.com/flush-king
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #10

Idaho
My 2013 V3600 has a combo tank to handle the sink and toilet of the rear half bath. It also has a saniflush, but I find better results with a hose in the toilet. We have 2 sewer connections. I flush the rear first and then hook up the front. Front black, gray, and then kitchen.
Idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:07 AM   #11

Missouri
I do have a good deal of experience with what you are dealing with. I too have a Voltage3805 (2016). Soon after our purchase, the front black tank valve was difficult to open and close. It increasingly became more difficult to open or close. Additionally, when ever I would take the end cap off, I had a disgusting flow run out. It told me the valve is not closing completely. To solve that problem I put another valve at the end of the sewage tubes. Next, I noticed each time I emptied the blank tank nothing would flow until I used saniflush each time. Because the liquids already leaked out, only the solids remained behind. I would run saniflush til the water ran clear. I was only making a channel through the solids to make the water find a way out. So the end result of what was happening; the liquids would flow out, the solids would stay behind. Eventually the solids made a multi-level cake that ‘filled’ the black tank and would never empty. The toilet would then back up. Using a wand down the drain still wouldn’t dislodge it.
I emailed Keystone customer service twice to ask where the black valve was located. Never got an answer. I had an RV repair guy mark where he thought the valve was before I started cutting the underbelly to replace the valve. I started my cut. No valve, so I cut the next third open. No valve (I also nicked a hydraulic hose on that cut, but that’s a whole other story) So I finally cut the final third open and there it was. This whole problem existed because of a terrible design flaw, they placed the valve 8’ across from the handle and used a cable to push and pull. Not only was it 8’ long, it also had to make a sharp 90 degree turn.
I had to hire a pro to come empty the tank and he spent an hour or two blasting the solid waste across the entire tank – not a fun job. But when he was done I knew I had a shiny clean tank – a perfect time to replace the valve. Rather than repeat their terrible design, I cut their cable and put in a new valve that has no cable, just the handle where the tank exit is located. I now have a handle on the opposite side of the RV. Inconvenient, but a reliable solution to their poor design.
Straylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #12

Texas
Or better yet go eletric valve as I did on all 4 of mine. Best mood ever.

Furthermore, if you want to keep the solids down don't forget to add at least a few gallons of water after dumping and any add on solution you desire. I have 2 - 47 gallon black tanks and usually add 5 gallons of water on each dump in the winter and due to the heat evaporation in the summer I add between 7-10 gallons with a cup of Dawn and 1 cup of Calgon water softener too as I live in thing full time and only dump each black once a month while parked and don't want to smell the bad stuff.

CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote