Sliding Glass Door Between Garage & Living Area - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #1

Wyoming
Sliding Glass Door Between Garage & Living Area

Ok boys & girls... question:

Has anyone ever removed the sliding glass door (and screen) leading into the garage? Either, just the door itself... and/or the entire assembly?

The reason I ask is... I'm on my 3rd version of seating in the rig. The first was the 4-section leather couch.... then the electric reclining TV chair... and now using a swivel rocker/recliner. All of them had 2 things in common: they were 2-piece items that could go thru at least one of the open doors into the living area... and none of them were/are very comfortable for long periods of time.

What I'd love to have is either a very nice, plush, club chair or loveseat like I used to have in my house. Both were slightly oversized, and VERY comfortable. But, they are also both solid 1-piece furniture items that would not fit thru either the front entry door, or through the sliding glass door opening.

I'm pretty sure that if I could get the sliding glass door out from its track, that I could tilt the thing, and get it thru the opening... as the sliding door extends about 2" into the gap when fully open. But I've tried, and can't see any way to get the door out. Normally, they lift-and-tilt right out on residential type doors... but when I lift mine (either the sliding screen or the sliding glass door), I'm still a full inch into the track, which prevents it from being removed.

That leaves as the only option, removing the entire frame from the rig.

Now, I didn't want to go to that trouble before... which is why I put one of my rocker/recliners into the rig last summer. But I've grown tired of it (been tired of it, actually), and I'm back to researching this option.

I can see screws along the top of the frame... so I don't think removing it would pose all that much of a problem. I'm just wondering how hard it would be to put back again if I did. We all know it's not usually hard to remove something... but getting it to fit when you try to reinstall it is another story...

So that's why I'm asking. I know it's not a common event, but I sure would like to get at least one REAL piece of residential furniture in the rig, now that I'm living in it fulltime.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

Arizona
You might not have to remove the frame. I'm guessing they're like regular sliding doors that you lift up off of the track and remove. But being these are on a bouncy trailer there's probably a set screw or two on top that prevents the vertical motion. That's where I'd start.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #3

British Columbia
Tom,

You can get some nice reidential recliners or loveseats that have removable backs. We are partial to Laz-e-boy recliners. I got an awesome deal on a "last years" model Laz-e-boy leather loveseat. We bought it for our old Aistream and I just moved it into our new camper. In the house we have a Laz-e-boy loveseat with a 2 drawer middle, cup holders included at no extra charge.

They are pricey, but they do have alot of promotions throughout the year. For my money you can't beat Laz-e-boy, their recliners are the only chair that dosen't create that big sinkhole between the seat and back that my fat backside doesn't slip into.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I will second Lazy boy we have a big double recliner sofa by them at home.It is a lazy boy on one end lazy girl on the other and lazy dog in the middle. The family that snoozes together, stays together! Lane is another decent brand too. Ours came in thru a 32" door...barely.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

Maryland
With regards to the sliding door...it should pick up, pull the bottom out, then down to release the top...if there is a screw down where the roller sits, loosen it to allow the roller to move up/down.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #6

Wyoming
Yeah, I hear ya... it SHOULD release... but I sure can't find a way. As I said, even after lifting up, it's still fully entrenched in the track... and I don't see any set screws or roller adjustments to make.

That's why I was asking if anyone has done it. There's gotta be a trick... I just ain't found it yet.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 04-15-2016, 11:40 PM   #7

Maryland
Sorry, I read your first post again...I literally skipped that whole paragraph...I blame that on my wife.

Now, the sliding door... use a BRICK. That will take care of your problem and you will be able to get the couch in with now problems.

I have a buddy with a Cyclone that puts his electric Fiat 500 in his garage, he removes the sliding door... I will message him.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:39 AM   #8

Indiana
I would just remove all of the screw's that hold the door/frame secure to the garage wall. Then pull the whole thing out and away from the opening. Get some help removing the door as its rather large and awkward for one person. Set it against the sidewall and load your new furniture. It should go back without a problem. Screw it back into the same holes. Make any minor adjustments and you should be good to go.
DutchmenClassic04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #9

Michigan
Have you tried prying the rollers up a bit? My house screen door, I slightly pry up the roller with a screw driver to clear the track.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #10

ATC guy... You and I have the same Voltage rig..I just had my doors out this weekend,. The screen is pretty much lift it out of the railing.. Then the stationary door has 3 screws about 1 foot from the top of the railing holding the door to the door framing at the point where the door meets the door frame on the inside of the door frame. . It also has a L shaped bracket at the top corner and the bottom of the fixed door mounted in the track area. The inside door has a screw at the bottom on both bottom corner of the door. A screw at the bracket also. then After all that i had to get into the corner of the door at the frame and start prying it there. It took no time really.. 5 min tops.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #11

Wyoming
Interesting... Today & tomorrow are moving days for me (heading to the Ozarks for a few weeks), so I'm just about all packed up right now. But I'll have to check that out once I get setup again. Thanks...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE