Slide Screws - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2015, 02:06 AM   #1

Maryland
Slide Screws

During my last stop during the Christmas Break, I was doing my normal post trip inspection. On the underside of the bedroom slide (I have a 3950), a couple of the white screwed heads have popped off. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what have you done to fix them (what did you replace them with)?

Thanks in advance,

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:23 AM   #2

Louisiana
Wow, this is still happening? Do a search, there are lots of posts about the popped screw heads. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:03 AM   #3

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
Wow, this is still happening? Do a search, there are lots of posts about the popped screw heads. Good luck.
Thanks, I did my due diligence prior to posting...did a search in the TH and the whole forum...searched for "screw heads" and "popped screw heads". Assuming the Boolean search pulls out each word within the search, I did not find what I was looking for. As a matter of fact, I am responding to you via a search of the forum...now, if I had an aching desire to be told to do a search, I would have posted over at RV.net, since that is usually the first response from a certain forum member. I am especially curious, from a Voltage owner, about the screws. I want to replace them and do it correctly, while not interfering with any slide mechanism. Maybe a pic or two would be awesome. Thanks.

Cale

Old 01-13-2015, 04:34 AM   #4

Tennessee
soon Picking up my Voltage 3200 but only after.

..look in my past post you'll find it.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #5

Oklahoma
I don't see anything wrong with drilling a pilot hole next to the broken screw and installing a new screw, that's what I've done. Leave the broken one in the hole and a little glob of sealant wouldn't hurt.

Overtorqued screws by impact screw drivers weaken the heads. Most of the broken screws, crooked screws and missed or slopped out holes are hidden under something somewhere.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

Tennessee
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...fter-1435.html

Found it... the ones that broke off, holes were sealed new ones drilled screws sealed then screwed in. Well pictures show.. good luck.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #7

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post

Found it... the ones that broke off, holes were sealed new ones drilled screws sealed then screwed in. Well pictures show.. good luck.
Thanks!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I started reviewing your started threads last night and was pulled off on other things that I am reminded to check and fix. I know for me, the seams are very poorly done. I just ordered 2 tubes each of clear, white , and black ProFlex. Since we are pout for at least the next month, I will be dividing the trailer into quarters and caulking everything. I am going to use black in some places, I think it will make for some nice accents. Every seam is going to be scrubbed with mineral spirits and painters tape will be used to ensure the caulking looks nice.

Since your thread said that the screws weren't sealed, I will pull a couple of screws out and run to Home Depot and get a big box and remove/seal/replace each screw. Yes, it is sad this has to be done, but I actually enjoy it.

Thanks a heap and will have a couple more questions for you later on.

Cale

Old 01-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #8

Maryland
Quote:

You also mentioned a superhydrophobic coating. Looked it up, Rustoleum has a line of the stuff. After everything is all sealed with love, I will probably get some of this stuff and treat the bottoms of the slides, I think the water repellent properties will be a plus, especially there where the floor swelling would be bad.

Cale

Old 01-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #9

California
Had screws broken out on my door step grab handle. When installed they also must have overtighten them as the plastic was also broken. Interesting mine looked rusted out & I live in the desert so mine has seen maybe .10" of rain sense I bought it.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
Thanks!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I started reviewing your started threads last night and was pulled off on other things that I am reminded to check and fix. I know for me, the seams are very poorly done. I just ordered 2 tubes each of clear, white , and black ProFlex. Since we are pout for at least the next month, I will be dividing the trailer into quarters and caulking everything. I am going to use black in some places, I think it will make for some nice accents. Every seam is going to be scrubbed with mineral spirits and painters tape will be used to ensure the caulking looks nice.

Since your thread said that the screws weren't sealed, I will pull a couple of screws out and run to Home Depot and get a big box and remove/seal/replace each screw. Yes, it is sad this has to be done, but I actually enjoy it.

Thanks a heap and will have a couple more questions for you later on.

Cale
Not too sure about mineral spirits as a cleaner since it is a petroleum derived liquid. A good clean surface using alcohol would last longer.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #11

New Jersey
I had the screw heads break off in my Voltage also. I called customer service and they acted like I was crazy. Anyways I order new stainless steel screws and replaced everyone I saw.

This past summer was repair my Voltage year. I think the warranty expired and all heck broke loose. Hope to have less repairs and more upgrade year.

Bobby
rb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
You also mentioned a superhydrophobic coating. Looked it up, Rustoleum has a line of the stuff. After everything is all sealed with love, I will probably get some of this stuff and treat the bottoms of the slides, I think the water repellent properties will be a plus, especially there where the floor swelling would be bad.

Cale
Yes, I used the superhydrophobic coating around the under edges of the slide. I wouldn't recommend doing the entire underside of the slide. It will cause drag/unwanted friction for the plastic rollers and rubber seal. I covered about 3" all around. WATER WILL NOT STAND ON IT good stuff. Highly recommend, since water wicking into corners has been an issue.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #13

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb71 View Post
I had the screw heads break off in my Voltage also. I called customer service and they acted like I was crazy. Anyways I order new stainless steel screws and replaced everyone I saw.

This past summer was repair my Voltage year. I think the warranty expired and all heck broke loose. Hope to have less repairs and more upgrade year.

Bobby
Owners of these types of trailers would be suprised if they actually knew how many are broken on their units. The screw heads are just sitting there waiting to fall out. Just take a Phillips screw driver to each one and turn it counterclockwise. If it backs out a little, seal and snug it up. If it's broken it will fall out.

When in florida last summer I saw a Voltage at a Campingworld. The closet slide floor was completely separated from the lower frame/angle brace. The screw heads were still there apparently being held in place by a thread or two. Looks can be deceiving. Check them... as many as you can. Water intrusion is the worst thing that can happen to your trailer.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #14

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Not too sure about mineral spirits as a cleaner since it is a petroleum derived liquid. A good clean surface using alcohol would last longer.
Just talked to Geocel, the tech support lady said that mineral spirits is what they actually use in their surface prep, however, the area must be completely dry prior to application of the ProFlex product. They were very nice people and seemed to be very knowledgeable.

Cale

Old 01-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #15

Maryland
Quote:
Yes, I used the superhydrophobic coating around the under edges of the slide. I wouldn't recommend doing the entire underside of the slide. It will cause drag/unwanted friction for the plastic rollers and rubber seal. I covered about 3" all around. WATER WILL NOT STAND ON IT good stuff. Highly recommend, since water wicking into corners has been an issue.
Copy all. Another thought I had, I am an Eternabond fanatic, love that stuff, saved my bacon more than once on my first RV. After replacing and sealing all the screws, thinking of edge taping the joints, will look nice and clean.

Which brings me to another project...not too happy with the small amount over roof over the side. Our Outback had almost 5 inches over the edge. My first RV had a little less than the Voltage, which had separated from the edge on one trip. Anyway, I scrubbed and caulked the side roof seam and put a single piece of Eternabond all the way down the side. Had it mated to the gutter and to the roof, never had a membrane separation problem again....

Cale

Old 01-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #16

Michigan
I used Eternabond on my last rig as well - great stuff - just make sure you put it where you want it - saw a guy tear his roof trying to remove it to reposition it!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #17

Maryland
Quote:
Owners of these types of trailers would be suprised if they actually knew how many are broken on their units. The screw heads are just sitting there waiting to fall out. Just take a Phillips screw driver to each one and turn it counterclockwise. If it backs out a little, seal and snug it up. If it's broken it will fall out.

When in florida last summer I saw a Voltage at a Campingworld. The closet slide floor was completely separated from the lower frame/angle brace. The screw heads were still there apparently being held in place by a thread or two. Looks can be deceiving. Check them... as many as you can. Water intrusion is the worst thing that can happen to your trailer.
I have only seen the screws across the bottom of the bedroom slide, do they not exist under the kitchen or living room slides?

I also have screws with 10mm bolt heads on the top and bottom of each slide (as connected to the RV), I have thought about putting those all the way down each side. They look to be stainless and beefier than the white headed screws used.

Cale

Old 01-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #18

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
I used Eternabond on my last rig as well - great stuff - just make sure you put it where you want it - saw a guy tear his roof trying to remove it to reposition it!
Yeah, definitely a two person job on my 23 ft...may need a few more hands on 44ft.

Cale

Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
I also have screws with 10mm bolt heads on the top and bottom of each slide (as connected to the RV), I have thought about putting those all the way down each side. They look to be stainless and beefier than the white headed screws used.

Cale
The 10mm bolts had broken on the leading edge of my bedroom slide and were drilled out and replaced under warranty. The slide frame on the body would actually pull away from the body when the slide was retracted all the way in and allowed water in and it shorted the slide motor, throwing a code when we arrived at a campground (the code is what made me notice the broken bolts and screws) - I will say that the over ride procedure on the motor controller does work - we were able to run the slide out for our stay and back in again to go home.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:40 AM   #20

Maryland
I replaced the screws today on the bottom of the slide. Every screw head except one broke off. I purchase a screw size larger, size 14 by 1.5 inches, pan head, took off one of the bottom corner caps, removed the rubber seal, pre drilled holes between each broken screw pairs, put ProFlex in each hole, replaced screws, then filled old holes...

A good source of water intrusion is behind the corner plate on the bottom of the slide, there was ver little caulk and a hole to the inside of the slide, with signs of water entry. Checked everything, I can guarantee no water entry now....I will do the other side tomorrow. Sorry, no pics today, as I was rushing to beat darkness.

Cale