Slide Motor Replacement - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Maryland
Slide Motor Replacement

Good morning Schwintek Warriors,

Today is the day I roll out from southern MD on terminal leave. Extremely exciting. Rep chapter ahead.

Last night I pulled all the slides in except the bedroom slide. One motor did not work. Talked with Donzinger about over riding and etc...no joy.

Pulled retention screws from both motors and disengaged them. Then pushed the slide in. Went in surprisingly easy.

Pulled part number and ordered a replacement 300:1 motor and will be delivered to home in FL.

Question about reinstall. All the movies I’ve seen show pulling and replacing motor at once. In my case, I have fully pushed slide in and braced for travel. How do a realign the drive shaft when I try to reinstall?

I’ve seen where people got luck and it dropped in, then ran slide out enough to insert outside retainer screw and others said they screwed with it for five hours and gave up. I am on the road in rwo weeks, would like to have a working slide.

Standing by for info.

Cale

calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #2

Oklahoma
One trick is to have the slide out and have the motor located in its operating position. If the indexing dog doesn't align with the slot have someone just bump the slide switch. Just a little bump to get the index to rotate to the slot.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #3

Maryland
As much as I did not want to have to push and wrestle the slide back out, I think you will be correct. The good motor I lifted out, I will need to push all the way back out to get it to drop in since it should be aligned fully out.

My other problem, I don’t have slide switches, I have the goofy LCD screen that doesn’t do much of anything momentary...

This may be interesting.

Cale
Old 04-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Oh, um, don't know where to go from here then.
There must be a way to toggle the motor, perhaps at the relay with a jumper. Or, more complicated, would be to determine the power wires for the motor and use an external voltage to toggle it until it falls into place.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #5

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
Good morning Schwintek Warriors,

Today is the day I roll out from southern MD on terminal leave. Extremely exciting...
Can’t help with the problem... but just wanted to say congratulations on the terminal leave.

Hope you figure it out. I’ll be following in case it ever applies to me. So what’s next for you? Where you headed?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #6

Florida
terminal leave? Is that another phrase for RETIRE?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Usually, yes...

When you’re separating from federal service (civil or military), and you have unused leave time... many people opt to go on “terminal leave” until they’re either eligible for retirement, or their separation date occurs.
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Well, congratulations!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
terminal leave? Is that another phrase for RETIRE?
He are done with this phase of his military career... unless they recall him.

My dad was USN, separated from the service in 1961 was subject to recall for 12 years. Got called back up 11 years and 8 months later for an additional 2 years of service.

Congratulations Cale! Thank you for your service.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:42 AM   #9

Alaska
I have replaced slide motors several times. You can spin the motor by hand to index. Be glad you have 300:1 rather than 500:1. Not a big deal.
Good luck if you have issues
Let me know
Bill
Wbgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #10

Maryland
Hey everyone. I profusely apologize for disappearing into thin air. Tom is correct, I am retiring from the military after almost 24 years. In my haste to pack up and leave, I actually misplaced my computer.

Update on the slide and unfortunately no pictures to go along with it, since I was not fully expecting to fix the slide....completely by accident.

Slide was pushed in, I got it about 3/4 of the way in by myself, then a buddy helped get the rest of it in. I found a broken ground wire on the motor. Those wires are pretty fragile looking....consequently, another wire broke off with me messing around with the motor. I ordered another one through eTrailer. Same part number, but the wires are bigger and the motor is wrapped for support. Overall, it seems beefier.

I went out to the slide to dicker with it for a while, trying to get a game plan together. The "good" motor dropped back into its spot after I pushed the slide out from the inside about 2 inches. The new motor did not quite line up. There are four knobs on the bottom that drop into corresponding holes to hold the motor in place. After trying to get the slide out a little more, I gave up, disconnected the "good" motor power wires.....connected the new motor power wires with the motor still in place.

Went to the control panel and ran the motor for 2-3 seconds and the darn thing dropped into place. It was the craziest thing. The slide was slightly crooked at this point. I connected the other motor and ran the slide all the way in, then all the way out and it all seems to work as advertised.

Overall, took about 30 minutes of thinking and 5 minutes of actual work. Heading up to OH next weekend, hopefully my work will still be good. Pretty happy, cost $190 with shipping. Got away pretty unscathed.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
Old 04-20-2019, 07:42 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Old 04-28-2019, 05:20 AM   #12

South Dakota
Congrats, Cale. Retirement is the best job I've had so far.

This thread could not have appeared at a better time.

Doing something in the basement of our V3605 and I notice an intermittent red glow(?) Turned out to be a flashing LED on the kitchen slide controller telling me I have a short circuit in motor #1. I get one via Amazon just in case, but the slide keeps working as normally as these things do.

First, which motor is #1? Next, the good voice says replace it before it fails on the road, and the bad voice says it might last the week it will take me to get home.

Or, is this some phantom fault code that may have been there for months?

I can reset the controller, and the same error code reappears after running the slide.
xhogboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #13

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhogboss View Post

Doing something in the basement of our V3605 and I notice an intermittent red glow(?) Turned out to be a flashing LED on the kitchen slide controller telling me I have a short circuit in motor #1. I get one via Amazon just in case, but the slide keeps working as normally as these things do.

First, which motor is #1? Next, the good voice says replace it before it fails on the road, and the bad voice says it might last the week it will take me to get home.

I can reset the controller, and the same error code reappears after running the slide.
Hi Boss
I've had the same thing happen with the controller lights flashing and like you, the slide continues to work fine. I have discovered that on the slide that is flashing, go in where the slide buttons are located and if the slide is extended out-push and release the OUT toggle, and if the slide is in-push and release the IN toggle, this stops the flashing code light on the controller (on mine at least). But also if I run the slide in and back out the light stays off so yours may be a different problem, good to have a spare.

I too carry an extra motor and an extra controller and I've had to replace both but luckily not while on the road.

I don't know which motor is #1 or #2 but whichever one quits working is #2!

Doug
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #14

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhogboss View Post

Motor #1 and #2...unsure, as I had the same question when I was working on mine. As part of troubleshooting, I had swapped the #1 and #2 wires around to be sure it was not the controller, which the same motor had failed. Funny though, one would think that the controller would call out a bad motor, or lack of 12VDC failing to complete the circuit, as I had found a broken ground on the motor itself.

Now my next problem....the bedroom slide on the outside bottom is showing an impression where the roller rests during transit. I can only assume that it has been wet before. I am curious if I can run strips of metal the length of the roller tracks OR use a router to match the depth of a metal plate ran fore and aft along the bottom of the slide giving all the rollers a hard place to sit during road transit.

I will probably start another thread, as this is a whole new problem. Thoughts?

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
Old 04-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #15

South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
OR use a router to match the depth of a metal plate ran fore and aft along the bottom of the slide giving all the rollers a hard place to sit during road transit.
I like the metal plate idea.
Fred

xhogboss is offline   Reply With Quote