Show off your Mods - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #21

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dprince99 View Post
Replaced the 12v battery with (2) 6v batteries for more capacity & mounted an air compressor into front generator compartment.
I got excited about the air compressor, then saw the batteries. Which leads to this question, do the batteries need to be vented since they are enclosed? What if they aren't vented, does that matter or make any difference? I notice a battery cover and vent hosing on mine.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me on this.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #22

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dprince99 View Post
Installed Jack antenna
Just did mine yesterday. I tried it in the driveway and locked on the all the channels usimg the surelock, first try.

No more stripped gears raising and lowering and no more yelling stop, stop, go back.

Plus no more having to worry about double checking the antenna is down. No more scunge growing under the bat wing.

At least my old rig had a cradle to hold the bat wing off the roof, the Colorado had the 4 bumpers bouncing off the roof. How long does it take before they rub holes through the membrane?

After spending 15 minutes trying to peel off the old dicor sealant and getting about a 4" strip off, "I said to myself, "self there has to be a better way".

I went in search of my heat gun and diflector, to blow the air across my putty knike, rather than directly at the sealant. Like a hot knife through butter, I had the rest of the sealant off in about 10 mins. Didn't stretch the membrane like I was without the warm air.

The KEY IS LOW heat setting and not directly at the membrane. It's the old adage little heat is good, alot is disaster. So if you are going to use heat to soften up sealant to ease the removal be VERY CAREFUL with it.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
I got excited about the air compressor, then saw the batteries. Which leads to this question, do the batteries need to be vented since they are enclosed? What if they aren't vented, does that matter or make any difference? I notice a battery cover and vent hosing on mine.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me on this.
Absolutely, batteries must be vented. One spark and the buildup of hydrogen gas and the rig goes up like the Hindenburg.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytoogood View Post
I built a door for the cabinet that is over the DVD/Stereo player that is in the garage in my 2013 3895 Voltage. It was just a big hole before. I guess that is where Dutchmen used to put a T.V. before they put the big flat screen on the upper wall. Now it makes a great place to store things.
Nice. Did you use Lexan or tempered glass.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #25

Nice mod but my 2013 voltage came with a TV mounted in the hole. Maybe the Epic versions have a TV and the V version does not. Just guessing.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #26

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Nice. Did you use Lexan or tempered glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
Nice mod but my 2013 voltage came with a TV mounted in the hole. Maybe the Epic versions have a TV and the V version does not. Just guessing.

Yes I used Lexan in dark smoke color.

My 2013 Voltage 3895 with epic 1 and epic 2 package has the T.V. in the garage area mounted up high in the center over the door. This box were I made the Lexan door is only about 14" square. My T.V. in the garage is a 32" flat screen.
Tanman what size T.V. is in your garage? Just wondering if they put different size boxes in other models.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #27

Pennsylvania
Lights under the top bunk to light the seating area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full View.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Connection.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	618  
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #28

Waytoogood,,, I would guess my TV in the garage is about 14 or 15 inch whatever is the common size thereabout. Its the same as my bedroom. Just short of microscopic. I gotta figure out some speakers for the bedroom tv since the AC in the bedroom is noisy I need the tv turned up way loud. I need to find some small speakers the run the wires from the tv box to the speakers maybe along the edge of the rug into the cabinets. Has anyone tried this and mount speakers in the alcove above the head of the bed..
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #29

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Where did you get power from to light LEDs

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #30

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Where did you get power from to light LEDs
I second that query. And how do you manage the wire so it moves with the bed? That's very cool. I'd like to do that too.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #31

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Ok BCooke - you have peaked the interest in many of us....please explain how you managed to do this mod and what lights you used and where you purchased them!!!!

My DH is really not liking me reading this thread!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #32

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
Waytoogood,,, I would guess my TV in the garage is about 14 or 15 inch whatever is the common size thereabout. Its the same as my bedroom. Just short of microscopic. I gotta figure out some speakers for the bedroom tv since the AC in the bedroom is noisy I need the tv turned up way loud. I need to find some small speakers the run the wires from the tv box to the speakers maybe along the edge of the rug into the cabinets. Has anyone tried this and mount speakers in the alcove above the head of the bed..

Have you considered wireless speakers?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #33

California
A couple more little mods

Just finished a couple more minor mods to the 3895 Voltage.
First I made up a holder for the loft/bunk bed ladder. That thing is always in the way. I just bought a multi clip holder at Lowes and screwed it to the wall in the garage between the forward electric bunk bed rail and the window. Now it stays there up against the wall out of the way all the time when not in use. (see pictures)

Second was something that drove me crazy. In the shower under the shower controls is a round acess panel. Dutchmen installed regular sheet metal screws in that panel to secure it to the wall. Trouble is it gets wet every time you use the shower and were very rusted and started to stain the shower wall with rust. I simply replaced all of them with stainless steel screws. No more rust !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr. office pictures 010.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr. office pictures 011.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akuret Tim Miller File 007.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akuret Tim Miller File 008.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	770  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #34

California
Nice mods. I'll have to check to see if I mount the ladder where you did if it clears my toys. It may not. But the idea gets me thinking... which is a good thing. Thanks for that!

I just finished a mod on the Trailair hitchbox... just added two more shocks so there's three of them now. Hoping this smooths the ride a little more. Will see. Pics and writeup at this link.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #35

California
Quote:
Nice mods. I'll have to check to see if I mount the ladder where you did if it clears my toys. It may not. But the idea gets me thinking... which is a good thing. Thanks for that!

I just finished a mod on the Trailair hitchbox... just added two more shocks so there's three of them now. Hoping this smooths the ride a little more. Will see. Pics and writeup at this link.
I was concerned about the clearance too, but it doesn't stick out any further than the electric bed rails against the wall.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #36

Louisiana
Quote:
I am anxiously waiting to read the results of this mod. There is one spot of road on the way to my usual campground where I have some bucking that I swear can cause whiplash.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #37

California
waytoogood, I'll be doing that ladder mod for sure. Going to Lowe's today to find that bracket.

Sinecure, there's road like that along the Salton Sea and on the 241 toll road where we live. Believe me, if this helps, and even if it doesn't, I'll be doing a complete analysis. That bucking sensation really bugs.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #38

Arkansas
Quote:
WOW! That is impressive. I can't wait to hear the results. I experience this all across America. It really bugs us. I feel like it going to come apart sometimes and loose it all. Looks like a simple install. Thanks for sharing that mod.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #39

California
I watched the unit as my wife drove. Just sat in the back seat, opened the sliding window, and observed what it's doing. Compression is resisted by the airbag and shock combo. As soon as compression occurs, rebound goes into effect. It was like the bag and shock were too weak, too small, for the forces being exerted. So adding two more shocks might to the trick. So that's a big improvement in damping effect adding two more absorbers. Fingers crossed. More details on Dec. 23, after our trip.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #40

Pennsylvania
Where did you get this rack? We'd love to do the same thing.

Humermom is offline   Reply With Quote