Schwintec Slide problems!!!!! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2016, 11:08 PM   #1

Georgia
Schwintec Slide problems!!!!!

We have a three year old 2013 V3950. Sent to the dealer to find out why the living room and bedroom slide motors were weak and we had to help the slides in and out. Well the dealer finally called back and the floors in both slides are rotted requiring removal and replacement to the tune of $8,500!!! We had purchased the most expensive extended warranty available but it does not cover water damage. Insurance says the same. And Dutchmen today told the dealer they will not cover it even though it is CLEARLY a design flaw! The dealer showed us the damage AND how it happened. Be warned if you have a 2013 or 2014 Voltage Toy Hauler you are in for some VERY BAD NEWS soon as these are the two years affected.

Needless to say Dutchmen will never get another penny from us. And I will be visiting any RV shows to voice my opinion at their displays. After we fix this one we are trading it in and get one that the company actually stands behind.

Volsfan1nga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:14 PM   #2

Tennessee
After we fix this one we are trading it in and get one that the company actually stands behind.

[/QUOTE]
Let us know when you find one.

2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsfan1nga View Post
We have a three year old 2013 V3950. Sent to the dealer to find out why the living room and bedroom slide motors were weak and we had to help the slides in and out. Well the dealer finally called back and the floors in both slides are rotted requiring removal and replacement to the tune of $8,500!!! We had purchased the most expensive extended warranty available but it does not cover water damage. Insurance says the same. And Dutchmen today told the dealer they will not cover it even though it is CLEARLY a design flaw! The dealer showed us the damage AND how it happened. Be warned if you have a 2013 or 2014 Voltage Toy Hauler you are in for some VERY BAD NEWS soon as these are the two years affected.

Needless to say Dutchmen will never get another penny from us. And I will be visiting any RV shows to voice my opinion at their displays. After we fix this one we are trading it in and get one that the company actually stands behind.

What did the dealer show as the cause of the problem.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:17 AM   #4

Ontario
Sorry to hear about your slide woes, Geoffery (Volsfan1nga).

I also have water finding its way to the outer edge of my bedroom slide osb floor. Still trying to determine exactly how. Arrgghh. (ie. either a leak in the slide trim/facia? or rain water tracing the the aluminum lower gear rack? -- in either case, exposing the osb edge to water which it absorbs... leading to a soft and swollen slide floor). But my investigation is on hold till Spring...

(echoing Sundancer who just beat me to hitting send...) You stated that "The dealer showed us the damage AND how it happened." Able to elaborate the dealer's theory? And any pics? -- Much appreciated.
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #5

Arizona
What was the cause of the floors rotting?
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Can't find the link at the moment, however there are multiple cases where the Schwintek slides were installed incorrectly. IIRC there is supposed to be a little rubber/plastic end plug to keep water from migrating into the coach. However given Dutchmen's track record anything is possible.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #7

Michigan
I read about this issue very shortly after buying ours and did some looking to find that the bedroom slide lower trim is held in place by several screws along the bottom - mine were all broken off. Heads were still in place but all broken off causing the trim to sag on the outside and tear the caulk. I added double the number of stainless screws and recaulked. No issues as of yet and dealer even commented on the fix when we took it in for warranty work.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #8

North Carolina
DO NOT TURN TO HEARTLAND. THE CYCLONE I HAVE NOW IS COMPLETE JUNK ! AND THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND IT AT ALL... I EVEN OFFERD TO TAKE IT TO THE FACTORY ! STILL NO !

and i have a close friend we camp with for the last 4 years, with a heartland elkridge...the screws are popping off the roof Joyce's. ( this was this past Saturday, and he just got the call yesterday) heartland says: water is THE ONLY THING THAT COULD CAUSE THAT TO HAPPEN AND WE WONT HELP IN ANY WAY.

NOW. THIS IS A F T E R, LOOKING AT A PICTURE OF THE INSIDE OF THE ROOF AFTER THE DEALER REMOVED THE SKYLIGHT.!! SHOWED N O, EVIDENCE OF WATER. NO DISCOLORATION. NO WARPING. PICTURE SHOWS ONLY "ONE!" SCREW IN 3' VIEW ! don't know how they plan to bend a sheet of plywood without screwing it down! has not ripped the roof "YET".

this is a 10 month old unit, and he is original owner !

I'M SICK OVER THIS ! AND ITS NOT EVEN MINE !
SO TIRED OF HEARING THIS TYPE OF STORY !
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #9

North Carolina
never joined the heartland forum.. but in reading it, there quite a few people that say heartland called water damage, ---before--- even seeing any pictures, or talking it ti a dealer !!!!

i have also ben to a heartland rally... heard this same story from a guy we where camped beside. AND HE BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE !!! INSANE !
Old 02-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Can't find the link at the moment, however there are multiple cases where the Schwintek slides were installed incorrectly. IIRC there is supposed to be a little rubber/plastic end plug to keep water from migrating into the coach. However given Dutchmen's track record anything is possible.

Aaron
Yep, several causes for this problem but I'm more interested in what the dealer 'said' caused it.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #11

North Carolina
That slide out mechanism was the only reason I didn't buy a voltage when we bought this cyclone
Old 02-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsfan1nga View Post

And how is it determined that it is just those years?

After my 14 months of ownership, with 13 of those months out of service because it is in for repairs, I fully understand your frustration....
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #13

Ontario
I think the Schwintec in-wall system is a good product (its even used in higher end Class A machines), but too-often wrongly fingered as the culprit in cases where it simply was not installed correctly... and/or "basic" quality care is void at assembly with caulking and screw torquing. That's just a Duthchmen Manufacturing problem.

In big picture perspective, we're actuallly very happy with our Voltage 3905 (in spite of my slide issue, which in my own case hasn't been overly burdensome). And in comparison to other problems I've heard/seen with other brands, I'd say my unit is actually pretty darn good... (not that we should have to use "less bad" as a measure, especually given what we paid for the dang thing. <grin>)

As Sundancer noted, I too would like to hear what the dealer said caused the problem for Volsfan1nga. Thanks again.

Mike
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #14

Michigan
Agree 100%, Mike
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnider View Post
but too-often wrongly fingered as the culprit in cases where it simply was not installed correctly... and/or "basic" quality care is void at assembly with caulking and screw torquing. That's just a Duthchmen Manufacturing problem.

Mike
First thing that Thor needs to do is hire someone that knows what the correct torque value is for the fasteners being used, then train the assembly workers how to use a torque driver.

I gave up counting the number of screws that are nothing but the head and a few threads that grab. On the other side of the coin are the screws that are left loose.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnider View Post
I think the Schwintec in-wall system is a good product (its even used in higher end Class A machines), but too-often wrongly fingered as the culprit in cases where it simply was not installed correctly... and/or "basic" quality care is void at assembly with caulking and screw torquing. That's just a Duthchmen Manufacturing problem.

In big picture perspective, we're actuallly very happy with our Voltage 3905 (in spite of my slide issue, which in my own case hasn't been overly burdensome). And in comparison to other problems I've heard/seen with other brands, I'd say my unit is actually pretty darn good... (not that we should have to use "less bad" as a measure, especually given what we paid for the dang thing. <grin>)

As Sundancer noted, I too would like to hear what the dealer said caused the problem for Volsfan1nga. Thanks again.

Mike
The slide system is indeed used in high end Class A motorhomes. However, those owners aren't without slide problems also. By following slide problem threads on a different forum it is apparent that Thor takes better care of those owners than do us. It's not uncommon for these big rigs to get preferential treatment at the factory. Whether it is delivered there by a delivery agent or the owner themselves it seems as if Thor jumps on the problem.

I don't see too many complaints regarding the brush off by a dealer or the manufacturer. Money talks, bull$hit walks as I've been told.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #17

California
And then there are us that haven't had any slide issues. Are we the silent majority.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #18

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
And then there are us that haven't had any slide issues. Are we the silent majority.
Shhhhh!!!!
(knocking on wood)
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #19

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Or the slideout majority I only have a small dinette slideout, but it has worked flawlessly.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 AM   #20

North Carolina
what insurance company covers water damage ! ? seems like that is the only real protection against it. will an insurance company go after the manufacture ? i would love to see some retaliation against heartland... not trying to be negative .. but, they have turned out to be the WORST experience i have -ever- personally had