Safe Garage Weight ?? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

Ontario
Safe Garage Weight ??

2011 Dutchman Voltage 3200
GAWR 7000 pds
Cargo Weight 4258 pds

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what weight I can safely haul in my garage ? I'm looking at a Smart Car that weigh's 2000 pds .. I know the car will drive in and fit in my 10 foot garage but my concern is my weight.

I'm pulling with a Dodge 3500 dual wheel

GAWR Front 5200 pds
Rear 9350 pds
GWR .. 12200 pds

Tks in advance

xtanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #2

Arizona
IMO, your 3200 can safely handle 2,000 lbs. in the garage area in terms of the frame and axles. The question is, can you pull the car forward enough (and/or move some gear towards the front of the toy hauler) to prevent any pin weight issues. 2000 lbs. (especially if it's loaded in the very rear garage area) can potentially reduce your pin weight to unsafe levels causing sway and control issues.

otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

Ontario
otr_pwc

Tks for reply .. that's my big concern, the pin weight .. right now I have a motorcycle in the garage and you would never know the trailers behind. I'm not sure I could move enough gear forward to balance it out?

Tks again ..
xtanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

I think the garage area is rated at 2000 lbs. I have had a Goldwing mc that weighs just at 1000 loaded and a golf cart which weighs just under 1000 lbs.. at the same time in the back.. a tight fit but it's doable. The rig seems to handle it without problems but was a little light in the front and swaying was there but not bad. As long as I kept my speed below 75 the sway wasn't too bad. I am sure the bay will handle a smart car without issue.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #5

Ontario
My wife's Ultra trike and my Ultra weigh over 2K and we haven't had any problems with our 3950.

Depending on which configuration of Ram you have, you may be over GCWR with a fully loaded 3200.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #6

Arizona
I think you would be fine. Your car seems light enough. These are designed to haul, that's why we get em. Lots of people think only ATV's, quads, Harleys, Rzrs can be hauled. Toys are toys. I haul a 16.5 Long travel 4 seat Sand car, and will be hauling my jeep soon. If I had a smart car, I would consider it a toy so why not. I would recommend you pay close attention to ramp angle when loading/unloading so as to not high center, as well as good strap down techniques. Keep the heaviest end of the car as far forward as possible to help with weight distribution.

Good Luck, send us a pic once she is in.
Gear
4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtanker View Post
Tks for reply .. that's my big concern, the pin weight .. right now I have a motorcycle in the garage and you would never know the trailers behind. I'm not sure I could move enough gear forward to balance it out?

Tks again ..
If you do run into issues with your pin weight with the Smart Car on-board, keep in mind you do have ballast options in terms of the fuel, fresh, black, and grey tanks. Depending on their locations (fore or aft of your 3200's axles), you can either empty or fill them to increase pin weight. Not ideal, but a potentially workable solution vs. giving up on the car entirely.

BTW, what is the GCWR (not the GVWR) of your 2008 Dually?
otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:06 PM   #8

Florida
I haul a Road Glide and a Polaris Sportsman, about 1600 lbs all in. I really like the pin weight relief. Rarely, when I'm not hauling anything, it really weights down the pin.

RobMilam is offline   Reply With Quote