Roof vent cap blown off... Took in water - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #21

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCToyhauler View Post
Thanks for the pic hddecker... I was not sure what the attic vent would look like. That looks a bit larger (5 in) than these. I got the new camco cap from amazon today and tomorrow will go back up and put it on (if it fits!) and take pics.
VCtoyhauler,

Your welcome.

Being as I'm bored, (I really just don't feel like lugging another 1000 sqft of flooring in the house) I did a calculation on area of attic ventilation required using the US FHA rule of 1/300.
One sqft for every 300 sqft of roof.

It won't be 100%, as I don't know the width of a 3800. I used the 40' length X 9' width = 360sqft.

360' *144" = 51840sqin

51840" / 300 = 172.8 sqin of total ventilation divided between intake and exhaust or 86.4sqin each.

Area of the Mushroom vents @ 5" = 19.63sqin

Intake 86.4sqin / 19.63 = 4.40 or 5 Vents at or near the low side of the roof
Exhaust 86.4sqin / 19.63 = 4.40 or 5 Vents at or near the high side of the roof.

There should be a total of 10 Mushroom vents on your roof to provide the correct amount of ventilation.

Getting all of that hot air out of the attic will help ease the cooling load when the A/C is running.

Back to the topic of your water leak, I would be removing all of the ceiling trim around your vents and A/Cs to get air flow up there and dry out any remaining moisture. It doesn't need to be heated, just moving, so a small fan aimed into one or two of the ceiling openings to encourage movement.

To give you an idea of how long it takes to dry stuff out, I had about 40 sqft of damp subfloor in my basement. The restoration guys had two industrial blowers running 24 hours a day for ten days before the floor was dried enough to lay the new flooring.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:49 PM   #22

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Slim,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the attic vents larger than a 2" PVC pipe.

It seems that this "Mushroom Vent" is unique to Thor products from what I have seen online.

Keystone Mushroom Roof - Attic Vent from RV Parts & Accessories

If the RV tank vents are installed in the same way that the stack in a house is installed, it is not glued, to allow for expansion and contraction.

I just recalled that when I heard the stack in the bathroom going crazy this morning. So that could account for it causing a leak during a downpour.

This topic is making me wonder if the attic vent is something that their "design salespeople" have decided to add without any thought as to sizing and placement. Just slapping an attic vent on the roof without providing both intake and exhaust of the minimum calculated size would be of little use.

Jim
Jim, I cant really answer any of it! I need to get up on my roof and look. Ive been up there a dozen times but dont remember whats where... memory! Lol had shoulder surgery 8 weeks ago so it will be awhile before I get up there again. I'm sure the engineers did the right thing or did they

Old 01-10-2016, 11:56 PM   #23
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
Jim, I cant really answer any of it! I need to get up on my roof and look. Ive been up there a dozen times but dont remember whats where... memory! Lol had shoulder surgery 8 weeks ago so it will be awhile before I get up there again. I'm sure the engineers did the right thing or did they
Slim,
I think it was determined that these units are designed by sales staff. They don't hire engineers... cuts into the profit margins too much.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:10 AM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
Been there, Slim

I've had both shoulders cleaned up close to 30 years ago. They were great, until that Arthur Itis guy took up residence, so they're back to grinding and groaning.

Jim
Old 01-11-2016, 01:39 AM   #25

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Slim,
I think it was determined that these units are designed by sales staff. They don't hire engineers... cuts into the profit margins too much.

Aaron
I'm sure your right!
Old 01-12-2016, 02:23 AM   #26

California
Update.... Got the replacement cap on now. The front 2 pipes are 2" and i have concluded are tank vents. The back one is larger, and looks like the pic of the attic "mushroom" vent, but it is the only one like that on the roof. Got the moisture meter tonight, and will be checking the unit with it in the morn. Left a vornado fan pointed into the ceiling register opening and running. No new rain to test it with, but could be by wed.
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:28 AM   #27

British Columbia
You are going to love having that moisture meter, it is going to a great tool when it comes to keeping ahead of the moistue problems.

It looks like my old analog meters days are limited. I've been looking at the newer technology and have found one that is the best of both worlds. I've come across a few brands that have pin/pinless meters. I was surprised that the pinless meters can read down to 3/4", so that covers just about everyting in a trailer.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:04 AM   #28

California
AAK! I love the moisture meter but i hate the news. The center of that whole ceiling panel, from side to side, where the intake registers are, showed RED on the meter, and beeped. So now, even if the original leak was just the cap, and is fixed now, i have to get that dry. And then i still need to see if there is a leak and where it is. Please let me know if any of you have had to deal with that, and what you recommend.
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #29

British Columbia
VC,

The only way to dry it out is to get as much air flow into the attic cavity as you can. Any air that you get into the attic also has to be able to get back out. If you took the garnish off of the bathroom fan and run it it should help pull the damp air out of the attic to the outside.

When you replaced the vent cap did you notice any movement in the pipe. I am wondering if the pipe may have got knocked loose.

I hate to say it, the only way to be sure if the leak was caused because of the missing cap or if it is some other problem, is to remove either a ceiling panel or perhaps you have a cabinet that you can cut the ceiling panel out of.

You really need to be able to see up there to be sure. Opening up the ceiling will also let more air flow through the attic.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:08 AM   #30

Texas
Here is an earlier post on these mushroom vents. In Post 5 I also had to replace mine.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...over-2572.html

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:04 AM   #31

California
Thanks decker & toad. My missing cap was a tank vent (2" dia pvc pipe, cap about 4") and got that on amazon for about $8. I spoke with the owner of the RV facility i am considering for the work, and he said that alone would likely result in leakage into the ceiling if it rains like it did. This gives me hope that may be all that was wrong.

As for the water that got in, he said that those panels don't come out (unless they are already damaged and have to) and that i should run the A/C and fan to keep air circulating. I had already been running a Vornado pointed up the ceiling register opening for the last 3 days.

Today after an hour or so of A/C with fan on hi, i measured again with the meter. Turns out it gets more consistent relative readings if placed on the surface type to be measured before turning it on, and today it was less alarming. The area indicating "moist" was much smaller than feared.

I double checked by CAREFULLY (with the fan running) sending a wooden spoon and paper towel as far into that thin, about 1", duct to see if i could pick up any wetness above the ceiling within a foot and a half of either duct, and it came back still dry.

I have the claims adjuster coming out tomorrow morning just in case there is any more to it than that. I will keep y'all posted!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #32

British Columbia
Sounds like things are going in the right direction. Lets hope that you caught it in time to prevent any structural damage and mould growth.

Did you get any indication of moisture on the walls below the area of the leak?

Never would have thought about using the A/C fan to help move the air in the attic, but it makes sense that it would help push air up there.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #33

California
I ordered a remarkably cheap ($20) yet high quality according to the reviews, endoscope on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

which I plan on sticking through the duct to snoop around.
By the way, here also is the link to the cap:

Amazon.com: Camco 40137 Black Replace-All Plumbing Vent Cap: Automotive

Things do look hopeful, and I will post back when I get that thing, and also when I talk to the insurance adjuster to see what he says.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #34

British Columbia
I have been wanting to get myself a scope for awhile, the one you got yourself looks like it would do what I need one to do.

It sure would make running wires through the attic much easier.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #35
Site Team

North Carolina
Now where the hell was that when I paid about 10 times that for the one I bought?

I have a regular one with the handheld screen. Bought it years ago to inspect the inside of fire extinguishers and bicycle frames. I have used it on my camper to see where wiring and such went. Don't be surprised at what you find up there.

I may order that one as a back up unit, amazing how far the technology has advanced in a few short years.

Aaron
Old 01-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #36

British Columbia
Quote:
Now where the hell was that when I paid about 10 times that for the one I bought?

I have a regular one with the handheld screen. Bought it years ago to inspect the inside of fire extinguishers and bicycle frames. I have used it on my camper to see where wiring and such went. Don't be surprised at what you find up there.

I may order that one as a back up unit, amazing how far the technology has advanced in a few short years.

Aaron
I just about ordered one, then I thought I better read the fine print.

Doesn't work on anything but windows.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #37
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I just about ordered one, then I thought I better read the fine print.

Doesn't work on anything but windows.

Quote:
8. Powered by USB 2.0 port,compatiable with Windows 7,8,vista, IOS, android phone or tablet(micro USB adaptor needed)
Looks like to me it works with a wide variety of OS. Including Android, which is a plus for me.

Aaron
Old 01-15-2016, 04:53 PM   #38

British Columbia
Quote:

Looks like to me it works with a wide variety of OS. Including Android, which is a plus for me.

Aaron
Your confused, I'm really confused. I went to Amazon Canada to see if it was available, they were out of stock, so I did the google thing and found other sites that sold the same product.
As I was reading the discription I came across the system requiements and that one said for windows only.

I'll just keep looking for it on Amazon and see what it says when they get it back in stock in Canada.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:08 PM   #39

British Columbia
Quote:

Aaron
Aaron,

As with all things Chinese sold online, there are a hundred and one sellers. I can't find the one that said it was for the windows OS, but this one is advertised as being for Android.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015EC5YYK?psc=1

Then I read down the reviews and I find this;

Great concept to not have to buy an expensive endoscope with camera and video built in by taking advantage of smartphone capabilities - however, although it worked OK for a few days on my Samsung Galaxy S6, now I keep getting a message that "unfortunately, CameraFi (the recommended download software) has stopped working". I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. The scope still works fine on a PC using the packaged software that came with it on windows 10 - but that defeats the purpose of a portable unit. For the price, it would definitely be worth it - IF IT WORKED. That being said, it has limited functionality because the focus is fixed at a few inches - so if you are doing very close-up inspection, might want to try something else. The variable light on the scope does work well.

so it's an Android device shipped with windows 10 software.

No wonder my head hurts, I have enough trouble keeping my OSX and iOS stuff straight.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:23 AM   #40

California
Update - Took the rig in to have it leak tested. They have a method where they pressurize the cabin and look for bubbles in a soapy solution sprayed on the roof, and found a leak around the tank drain pipe (one of the ones that was missing the cap, a coincidence) and the cause was likely that was where they ran the cables into from the solar panels, so that was fixed along with some other caulking that looked suspect. While it is in i am having the garage heater vent checked to see if it just fell off (different thread) so looks like we are good now. It is good we had no actual damage, since leak damage is not covered by insurance unless caused by an accident, as i learned.