Replace and Repair Roof - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #1

Utah
Replace and Repair Roof

We bought a 2014 Voltage 3895 private seller in November and took it to a dealership to have them check everything. They said it is in great shape and a hell of a deal. We live in Utah where it has been snowing like crazy. I went out to show grandma the trailer and found water all over the bar and couch dripping from the pendant light. My husband climbed up on top to find a 1" tear in the rubber membrane near the A/C not noticeable unless you are looking for it. We covered the tear with press and seal glad wrap (my brilliant idea ) to stop the water intrusion. A few days ago went out and there was water all over again because the wrap had blown off. Took it in to the dealership and they said the roof is soft and that we will need to replace it in the neighborhood of $10k. Said the tear is likely from a tree branch. We pulled it from the dealer to our house and we do not have trees!! It sucks because I guarantee the previous owner knew about it. I haven't even registered it yet. I want to scream, I doubt I can claim it under my insurance. I would love to let it dry and patch it but they said the particle board under two panels is soft and that it will mold.

Has anyone replaced the roof themselves? If so, how difficult is it? How much money can we save by doing so?

jersgirl060606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #2

Florida
Replace and Repair Roof

Call your insurance company and tell them you hit a tree branch.. they will cover it... then get the sprayed on lifetime roof... my insurance company never batted an eye 0 deductible.. I was very very worried as well till I called them and they covered everything. Mine was from my awning flipping over on the roof and put two lil 2 inch tears in the membrane and boom replaced whole roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONECTION
Nate42379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

Illinois
Regardless of insurance or not, the spray on roof is the way to go. It will be less than 10 grand, as they rip off the old membrane, skylights, etc anyway. Not a big deal to replace a couple of sheets of plywood while they are at it. Lifetime guarantee, rock hard, no more worries. I had an estimate for mine and it was around $7,500 without any wood replacement.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #4

Florida
Replace and Repair Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Regardless of insurance or not, the spray on roof is the way to go. It will be less than 10 grand, as they rip off the old membrane, skylights, etc anyway. Not a big deal to replace a couple of sheets of plywood while they are at it. Lifetime guarantee, rock hard, no more worries. I had an estimate for mine and it was around $7,500 without any wood replacement.
Rusty

They charged me 150$ to replace a questionable sheet in my 3905 Voltage...and NO MORE CAULKING OR SEALANT. I didn't want to call insurance but it was just too much out of pocket and man I'm glad I did .. my spray on was $6,800 and replaced all vent lids and vent covers with new ones and had a 3rd ac installed while they had all ac units off.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #5

Texas
Ok, I've learned so much in the 10-11 months I've hung out with you guys. But for some reason I don't recall anything about this "spray on roof". And what I'm kind of surprised by is there appears to be an immediate consensus on how wonderful it is.

I gotta know more! Are ya'll talking about the same product? I'd love to know a brand or name so I can research.

Although my roof isn't even a year old, I got this feeling, accurate or not, that a dry and clean RV is a looooooong lasting structure. A wet and\or uncared for RV has a much shorter life.

Jersgirl, I'm so bummed for you. I can only imagine how these circumstances could rob you of the excitement that you SHOULD be experiencing right now. Hope it doesn't! Don't let it.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:54 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Ok, I've learned so much in the 10-11 months I've hung out with you guys. But for some reason I don't recall anything about this "spray on roof". And what I'm kind of surprised by is there appears to be an immediate consensus on how wonderful it is.

I gotta know more! Are ya'll talking about the same product? I'd love to know a brand or name so I can research.

Although my roof isn't even a year old, I got this feeling, accurate or not, that a dry and clean RV is a looooooong lasting structure. A wet and\or uncared for RV has a much shorter life.

Jersgirl, I'm so bummed for you. I can only imagine how these circumstances could rob you of the excitement that you SHOULD be experiencing right now. Hope it doesn't! Don't let it.

Google RVflexarmor...I'll take some pics soon.. elite RV in palmetto FL. did my roof and it's amazing how thick and tough it is.. only adds about 100-150lbs to total weight of a 42' RV after all caulking and sealant is removed with a 1" overlap into the gutters and 8" onto nose cone and to top of rear marker lights at an average of 3/8-1/2 inch thick

Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 AM   #7

Texas
Thanks Nate!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Thanks Nate!

[emoji106] no problem!

Old 02-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #9

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate42379 View Post
Google RVflexarmor...I'll take some pics soon.. elite RV in palmetto FL. did my roof and it's amazing how thick and tough it is.. only adds about 100-150lbs to total weight of a 42' RV after all caulking and sealant is removed with a 1" overlap into the gutters and 8" onto nose cone and to top of rear marker lights at an average of 3/8-1/2 inch thick

Dang it, they do not have a location in Utah!!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #10

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate42379 View Post

Is this similar do you think? Product - We Repair RV Roofing
Old 02-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #11

Tennessee
You didn't inspect the roof before you bought it?
Old 02-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #12

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
You didn't inspect the roof before you bought it?
We thought so, like I said in my initial post it is not really noticeable unless you are looking for it. We also had the dealer take a look at it and they did not notice.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:42 AM   #13

Ontario
Are you sure you need to replace the entire roof for this? I had a very small tear in my roof, no water infiltration, the dealer gave me some heavy rubber membrane with a peel off backing. They also gave me some heavy duty contact cement to make sure there is a water tight seal. If you have only a one inch tear, use a 3 X 3 inch piece of membrane and the contact cement and it should be fine. Just clean really well with rubbing alcohol before applying.

You will have to check the rafters for rot in the spring but to be honest, if it;'s dried out well it should be fine. I kind of question the whole roof repair after just a couple of leaks.
WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:07 AM   #14

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlawnDon View Post
Are you sure you need to replace the entire roof for this? I had a very small tear in my roof, no water infiltration, the dealer gave me some heavy rubber membrane with a peel off backing. They also gave me some heavy duty contact cement to make sure there is a water tight seal. If you have only a one inch tear, use a 3 X 3 inch piece of membrane and the contact cement and it should be fine. Just clean really well with rubbing alcohol before applying.

You will have to check the rafters for rot in the spring but to be honest, if it;'s dried out well it should be fine. I kind of question the whole roof repair after just a couple of leaks.

One little tear from a tree branch and most insurance companies will pay to have entire roof replaced...although that "eternal bond" sealant tape is tougher than the roof membrane itself... so you will be fine with that..my insurance company saw my patches due to a storm and awning acrobatics.. and adjuster handed me a check for awning and roof replacement... I was in total shock.. and wife and I both said WELL in that case we are getting that LIFETIME ROOF!.. it's cheaper than redoing the membrane by about 2k sooooo 3rd AC unit it is. It also comes with all new vent lids and maxi vent covers.... it only takes about 3 days start to finish so find a place that does it and ROAD TRIP\VACATION/REPAIR!

Old 02-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #15

Utah
We did inspect the roof, we had a dealer inspect the roof. We missed it. It is a tiny tear, but water found its way in. The bar, couch, and light fixture were all soaked. I have received 3 estimates, all say the roof will need to be replaced along with at least 2 roof panels.

Insurance has approved to pay to replace the roof and the 2 panels that are soft. We have decided to do the lifetime spray on roof. Thanks for the recommendation. We are going with a local company called Capital Coatings Product - We Repair RV Roofing

I will keep you posted.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgirl060606 View Post
We did inspect the roof, we had a dealer inspect the roof. We missed it. It is a tiny tear, but water found its way in. The bar, couch, and light fixture were all soaked. I have received 3 estimates, all say the roof will need to be replaced along with at least 2 roof panels.

Insurance has approved to pay to replace the roof and the 2 panels that are soft. We have decided to do the lifetime spray on roof. Thanks for the recommendation. We are going with a local company called Capital Coatings Product - We Repair RV Roofing

I will keep you posted.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you

Old 02-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #17

Nevada
Glad to hear, things worked out, I would have told you, that to replace the panels is easy if you have did it in the pass, but a first timer, would have been ???, I have done a few on Truck campers and one 5th wheel, but the hard part is putting on the roof and the trim...
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:52 AM   #18

Florida
Any updates or pics yet?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #19

Utah
It turned out really good. I opted to keep the silver to help with reflecting the sun plus it looks great with my graphics. Took it out this weekend, so far so good. The price was right, $6,100 including plywood and insulation vs the $10k for a new rubber roof. Insurance came through for us which saved our bacon. I hope I am attaching pics, not sure if it will work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	3936   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	3937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 4.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	3938  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #20

Tennessee
Holy cow, that was a lot of damage from a small tear. Looks great.