Removing Pendant Lights - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2019, 12:24 AM   #1

Utah
Removing Pendant Lights

Looking for some guidance on removing pendant light fixtures in Voltage 3305 (2016) as I keep blowing a fuse when I switch those lights on. I have several other lights on this circuit, but it only blows when the pendants over the kitchen sink are turned on. Couldn't figure out how to get the globe off or other parts since they're inside the globe--a little worried about busting something if I turn/pull too hard. I unscrewed the base at the ceiling and all I see is the wire going into the hanging rod and no wire nuts etc. Thanks for any input.

texcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:11 AM   #2

Utah
Update: Figured out how to loosen globe, but wires seems to come all the way down the hanging rod and are ultimate wired directly into the socket for the light. Socket is too big to pull the globe out over it and you can't get your hands inside the globe to disconnect wires from socket such that it feels the only way to dismantle is to cut the wires. However, if you did this then there would be no way to reconnect to the socket while having all the other hardware threaded correctly. Still stumped.....

Old 05-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #3

Oklahoma
Photos would be helpful so we can see what is up there.
Is the rod connected to a canopy or some sort of plate that is attached to the ceiling?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #4

Utah
Removing Pendant Lights

Here are two pics--sorry rotated 90 degrees. The wire simply comes through the plate screwed into the ceiling and comes all the way down to the socket 2 ft. or so below the ceiling. I don't see any other place to disconnect the wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190517_073220.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	5411   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190517_073151.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	5412  
Old 05-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by texcamper View Post
Here are two pics--sorry rotated 90 degrees. The wire simply comes through the plate screwed into the ceiling and comes all the way down to the socket 2 ft. or so below the ceiling. I don't see any other place to disconnect the wire.

I would venture to say that there are wire nuts up in the ceiling. The lamp fixtures would come with their own pigtail wire to be connected to the house wires.

They, the blind installers were probably too lazy to trim the fixture wires so they just shoved it all up in the cavity. You'll want to remove the plate and carefully pull on the fixture wires to see if you can't fish the wire nuts out of there.
If you have a bore scope you look in there or maybe a small mirror and light.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:45 PM   #6

Utah
Thanks. That's exactly what I was expecting since how would they otherwise connect the fixture wires to the trailer. However, when I pulled off the plate I saw no wire nuts whatsoever and couldn't see any slack in the wire--I pulled a bit and there was no give to pull the wires out further. Could they be so far in you just can't see them? Doesn't make sense. Any additional ideas? Thanks again for any advice.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:58 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Thanks. That's exactly what I was expecting since how would they otherwise connect the fixture wires to the trailer. However, when I pulled off the plate I saw no wire nuts whatsoever and couldn't see any slack in the wire--I pulled a bit and there was no give to pull the wires out further. Could they be so far in you just can't see them? Doesn't make sense. Any additional ideas? Thanks again for any advice.

One last shot at this. Remove the oval thing. You'll probably need an extra hand when you do it though.
It's possible the problem is between the oval and the ceiling, maybe a screw through a wire or pinched wire. It's anyone's guess but I'd take it down just to be sure.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:27 AM   #8

Utah
Good advice. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2019, 02:11 AM   #9

Ontario
Mine have wire nuts in the ceiling but there's lots of slack to get at them.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #10

Illinois
For what it's worth, and it's been a while since I had my Voltage, but make sure you are using the absolutely correct bulb. I had same problem because I used a similar type bulb but was incorrect. I also had a hell of a time getting the original bulbs out for above reasons, and ended up twisting the wire and breaking the connection. Ended up cutting and soldering. Crappy install and set up on those globes. Good luck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #11

Florida
They lights are probably joined somewhere in the middle. They were assembled then screwed into the ceiling. If you drop that panel down, please take a picture. It's probably covering up some crudely cut hole in the upper ceiling. They probably pinched one of the wires when they put it up and caused a short. Would be my guess.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:35 PM   #12

Utah
Mystery Solved!

Mystery solved! We had the wrong light bulb in the socket. I had been working on our slide-out the previous week and my wife decided to "fix" our burnt out light--I didn't even notice my wife changing out the bulb! I told her yesterday that I had been working on a stubborn problem with the kitchen light when she informed me she had replaced the bulb. I remembered from my previous internet searches that someone posted somewhere that they had a similar problem and were using the wrong bulbs. I took out the bubs and sure enough, the bad one causing the blown fuse was different!! She swears she told me all about it, and I'm sure see did. Lesson learned, listen better to my wife when she's talking........Thanks for all the replies......Never did see the wire nuts.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #13

Utah
Bulb advice is in my own thread above!
Old 05-20-2019, 11:41 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Wrong lamps, that's interesting and should be explained for future reference.

What did she put in there (the one she told you about) and what is the proper lamp that is needed?
Old 05-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #15

Florida
Nice fix Rusty!
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #16

Utah
She put in a bulb marked 1156 while the correct bulb is marked 1076. The main observable difference is the 1076 has 2 contact points on its base (bottom) while the 1156 only has one. When you look up into the socket you can clearly see there are two prongs and not a single point of contact. It must have been shorting out each time electricity was turned on as the fuse immediately popped with the wrong bulb.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #17

Oregon
Bulbs may be wrong type

My guess is you recently changed a bulb in one of these lights and used the wrong type. I had the same issue. Just cause they look alike and fit does not mean they will work properly. Remove the bulbs and put in two new correct ones.

Hope this works
fgargiulo@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #18

California
I have Voltage 3605. Had the same problem with occasional lamps burning out. I tried several different bulbs including led but did same thing. What seemed to work was the 12v auto bulb. Also due to the design of the low hanging pedant light, the fixture will sway while driving. I snapped the holder off the ceiling. While repairing it the wires worked loose. Check for loose wires this will definitely short out the bulbs.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:48 AM   #19

Utah
Thanks for all the input!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Thanks for all the input!
change them to LED's. won't have to change them again and the inverter won't run so hard.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote