Puck Lights from Halogen to LED - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #1

New York
Puck Lights from Halogen to LED

OK - I am doing some research and want to change out the Halogen C4CC 12V 10W bulbs with a G4 base LED...I have found the following:

6HP-LED Disc G4 Lamp | LED Bulb | E27, A19, PAR20, PAR30 Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

10HP-LED G4 Lamp | LED Bulb | E27, A19, PAR20, PAR30 Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

Has anyone replaced the Halogen bulbs with something similar to the above and did you have enough room within the housing of the puck light????

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Those LEDs should fit your lamp fixture. You have mentioned before that your lens doesn't pull down like the rest of them so I can't be sure of what you have in the ceiling. The size is good but it still depends on what you have.

I have two different size fixtures in my rig, I think they are 3 and five inch but the three inch is what I have the most of.

Those LEDs you list are expensive, there must be cheaper ones available to you. I replaced all but two of mine for around two bucks each. I had to add a resistor and solder them to the wires as opposed to plugging them in. 10 watt 9 element LEDs that give me a nice cool white light, so much better than the harsh Halogen light.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #3

New York
Thanks sundancer 87 - yes I could get the less expensive LEDs that you need to solder but DH would not do that and I don't know how.....so the more expensive lights is the way I have to go.

I just noticed that there are dimensions on the description...I'll have to go out and measure.

Yes our lens does not twist off (like yours) - to pry it off with a knife.....not the greatest but I figure once I replace the bulbs I should be good for a looonnnggg time!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #4

Wyoming
Now don't take this wrong... but just curious why you're switching to LED's?

My friend was thinking about doing the same thing on his rig... and just out of curiosity more than anything else I asked him 'why'?

He said: "Well, LED's are a bit brighter"

My reply: "The lights in your rig aren't bright enough?"

"Yeah, they are... but these also burn less power."

"Why do you care how much power they use... aren't you using the campground's shore power when you set up?"

(complete silence from him)

Now don't get me wrong... if you like 'em, then I love 'em. But personally, I just don't think the savings one will gain from power consumption or bulb replacement justifies the cost of replacing all of them unless you're planning on keeping the rig for 10+ years or so.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #5

New York
Tom, Leo and I do mostly dry camping (we will be gone for more than 2 weeks in October and 99% of that is dry camping).....yes we have a generator, but we are usually out sightseeing during generator hours......and we have been dry camping for so many years, it is just a force of habit to not watch TV, turn off unused lights, shut off the water pump when not being used, & conserve water. Right now we have all the overhead lights but one turned off in the living/kitchen area (that one has already been converted to LED) and we have LED motion lights in the bathroom and garage, as well as near the front door & rear doors (mounted under the stairwell area). The puck lights over the table need to be changed out for two reasons, heat and draw.....we'll sit for hours and play cards inside if the weather is bad outside!

For us to camp with hook-ups is a pure luxury , which usually only happens if we go camping with friends or family!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #6

Wyoming
Gotcha.... ok, that makes sense.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote