Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #1

Colorado
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C

I've received my new Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C. Should I install it in line from the incoming pedestal power or should I install it after the transfer box so that it protects power from both the pedestal and the generator. What is the recommendation? What has everyone done?
Thanks

4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #2

Texas
I called PI before I installed mine and they suggested not to put it before the generator and only for the shore power as most gens have their own built in protection

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #3

Arizona
Unless PI feels there's something about the output of a generator and/or transfer switch that'll make the EMS-HW50C malfunction, I don't see the point of installing it just to protect shore power. Generators and transfer switches can go bad just like anything else.

We installed ours between the transfer switch and the 120v control/breaker panel. Installed here, it protects our trailer from any shore power, generator, and/or transfer switch output issues. Granted, this does leave the transfer switch unprotected from shore power issues. However, since these are easy to replace and cost less than $150 (WFCO, Progressive Dynamics, etc.), for us, that's a fair trade-off vs. leaving our whole trailer vulnerable to generator (and transfer switch) voltage/wiring issues which can potentially damage thousands of dollars of items in the trailer.

FWIW, our EMS-HW50C has been operating flawlessly for a year and a half. We've used our generator for over 100 hours with its power routed through the EMS-HW50C with zero issues.

YMMV.
otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #4

Oklahoma
My system is 30 amps but it is still under the same recommendations of PI. Mine only protects the shore power. I had 2 problems with my units and both times PI was right there no questions asked. They are the best customer care vendor I have ever worked with. Also I have a portable generator that I hook up via my shore power so it is also protected from genny power. My transfer switch only switches between shore and inverter power. I would follow what PI says they make the product and know best. Just my 2 cents.