powering 3605 bedroom tv from dc/ac inverter - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2015, 04:03 AM   #1

Alberta
powering 3605 bedroom tv from dc/ac inverter

I was wondering if anyone has dug into their 3605 or like model unit to power the bedroom tv off an dc/ac inverter. If you have, could you help me locate the wires that run to the plug above the tv? I found 2 sets of wires in the basement that run up through the floor, and into the wall betewwn the bedroom and bathroom. They run on a gfci breaker. Not the one i'm looking for. I know the breaker is labelled as "general" and seems to have every plug in the trailer running on, the main tv, outside tv, plug beside the stove for the coffee pot, plug above alcove counter, garage kitchen, beside bed, and bedroom tv. kinda over loaded if you ask me. I pulled the coax plate off the ceiling beside the tv power plug and the line seems to run through the ceiling toward the slide side wall. After that, I cant track it. Any one have any advice or experience?

2012 Can-Am Commander XT 1000, 1998 golwing GL1500
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:01 AM   #2

South Carolina
$200 fix. Go to Amazon, and buy a 12VDC TV. Many have built in DVD's. Will plug in the 12VDC cigarette lighter outlet at the antenna connection. No need to invert 12VDC to 120VAC then back to 12VDC. Plus, you'll have a new, state-of-the-art digital TV.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
$200 fix. Go to Amazon, and buy a 12VDC TV. Many have built in DVD's. Will plug in the 12VDC cigarette lighter outlet at the antenna connection. No need to invert 12VDC to 120VAC then back to 12VDC. Plus, you'll have a new, state-of-the-art digital TV.
That would be great too, except...... no 12 volt source in bedroom, I can do that no problem in living room, but bedroom is a different story. I already thought of that, and that's my next resort, however I don't want to spend $1200 for a 22" tv when the factory tv is 32", and I already have a 2000watt inverter at my disposal.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #4

Oklahoma
I'm trying to understand the reasoning for, essentially, powering your TV off a 12 volt source.

Unless it's a dry camping thing I don't see the reason. As was said earlier, why invert 12 vdc to 110 vac to power the TV when there's 110 vac already there. Also, here's the funny thing, after the inverter has made its 100 vac to power the TV the TV in turn converts that voltage back to 12 volts and less to make the TV work.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #5

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I'm trying to understand the reasoning for, essentially, powering your TV off a 12 volt source.

Unless it's a dry camping thing I don't see the reason. As was said earlier, why invert 12 vdc to 110 vac to power the TV when there's 110 vac already there. Also, here's the funny thing, after the inverter has made its 100 vac to power the TV the TV in turn converts that voltage back to 12 volts and less to make the TV work.
We do a crap ton of dry camping, and to watch the late night news ( I know, getting old sucks) we have to run the genset, then I have to get up in my underwear and shut it off when we're done watching. my thoughts were to be able to an inverter and set the sleep timer on the tv and just roll over and go sleep without having to get up.

We have no 12vdc power to the bedroom anywhere, and the tv does its 12v conversion internally. no external transformer on the power cord. So if I can mount an inverter in the basement and utilize the existing wiring, the I don't need to cut any new holes in the wall or run any new wiring. We are not Rv resort people and atv 7 months of the year with friends in the bush, and to run a genset at 11pm when kids are trying to go to bed is just bad neighbors. we recharge with solar during the day, so genset is not really needed unless we want to watch tv at supper or bed time.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #6

Montana
Simplest way in my opinion is to just run the whole camper off of the inverter. Plug your shore power cable into the inverter 120V AC outlet, then every AC outlet in the camper will be energized. This is how we do it and we strictly boondock/dry camp.

You must turn off your converter when doing this or it will create a power draining feedback loop. Fridge and water heater should also be set on gas. Don't try and run the air con or microwave either because you'll be limited by the max capacity of the inverter and it's installation. Microwave might work with a 2000 watt inverter actually, depending on how large of gauge wiring used in the inverter install and how much battery capacity you have.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dmax360 View Post
We do a crap ton of dry camping, and to watch the late night news ( I know, getting old sucks) we have to run the genset, then I have to get up in my underwear and shut it off when we're done watching. my thoughts were to be able to an inverter and set the sleep timer on the tv and just roll over and go sleep without having to get up.

We have no 12vdc power to the bedroom anywhere, and the tv does its 12v conversion internally. no external transformer on the power cord. So if I can mount an inverter in the basement and utilize the existing wiring, the I don't need to cut any new holes in the wall or run any new wiring. We are not Rv resort people and atv 7 months of the year with friends in the bush, and to run a genset at 11pm when kids are trying to go to bed is just bad neighbors. we recharge with solar during the day, so genset is not really needed unless we want to watch tv at supper or bed time.
Makes sense now. I 'dry camped' for 20 years in Mexico in a solar house so inverter questions make me curious.

I doubt you will be able to isolate the one outlet to the TV considering common wiring may have many outlets daisy chained in one common circuit. Not much choice other than to run a dedicated branch circuit from the inverter to the TV for your intended purpose.

Putting the TV into sleep mode is a good idea as long as your inverter goes into idle mode when it senses a low or no power draw. If it doesn't it will continue to produce AC until the batteries go flat.

Go out naked one time and maybe the neighbors will shut the generator down for you
Old 06-15-2015, 06:51 PM   #8

California
I have the same model Voltage & also have a 2000 watt inverter. What we did is mount the inverter above the battery box (aka under the 5th wheel floor). We than made up a heavy duty cord with male ends on both sides. We ran it into and behind the storage wall area. There is a 115v plug that the vacuum plugs into. Plug into it & turn off all the breakers in your converter except the general one. Power your inverter on & you are set.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #9

South Carolina
Here's another idea. I've got one of these, and for all they can do, I take it on every trip. The inverter will easily power your TV during your quiet hours, and the whole thing can be recharged the next day when you fire up the genset. Amazon.com: Stanley PPRH5 450-Amp Professional Power Station with Built-In Air Compressor: Automotive
Old 06-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #10

New York
Quote:
Here's another idea. I've got one of these, and for all they can do, I take it on every trip. The inverter will easily power your TV during your quiet hours, and the whole thing can be recharged the next day when you fire up the genset. Amazon.com: Stanley PPRH5 450-Amp Professional Power Station with Built-In Air Compressor: Automotive
Does it make any noise when running????
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #11

Alberta
sundancer: This sounds like I will have to make the delicate incision in the wall beside the tv and put in a dedicated inverter and plug. Not that big of deal, but delicate no less. The inverter in question does idle down when no load present, except I wonder about the status led on the front panel if it will keep the inverter excited enough to draw full current.

Desert Rat: That's a great idea, never though of the vacuum plug, it will energize the panel, but not the circuits turned off.... Great idea. This too is a possibility. I thank you all for your great idea's.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dmax360 View Post
sundancer: This sounds like I will have to make the delicate incision in the wall beside the tv and put in a dedicated inverter and plug. Not that big of deal, but delicate no less. The inverter in question does idle down when no load present, except I wonder about the status led on the front panel if it will keep the inverter excited enough to draw full current.

Desert Rat: That's a great idea, never though of the vacuum plug, it will energize the panel, but not the circuits turned off.... Great idea. This too is a possibility. I thank you all for your great idea's.
The LED won't fire it up, they are DC so the inverter won't sense the draw, only the battery knows it's there.

Good luck if you decide to open the wall, it shouldn't be that great of a problem. You can even go with surface mount wiring too if opening the wall appears difficult.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:23 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
Probably not anymore, it's a discontinued by manufacture thing.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #14

Montana
I still suggest simply plugging your shore power cable into the inverter outlet and switching the converter breaker off. Safer than introducing a suicide/backfeeding cable into the situation.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #15

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
I still suggest simply plugging your shore power cable into the inverter outlet and switching the converter breaker off. Safer than introducing a suicide/backfeeding cable into the situation.
That sounds good in theory, however, a lot of hassle to watch tv in bed with no genset, that way I would have to unplug the shore cable from the inverter, then switch the breaker back on when running genset, not to mention a 50amp cable is rather large to tuck into the basement, there is no hole for it in the compartment, only in the wet bay.

I have access from the basement to the wall behind the bathroom sink, so I should be able to run a line up and into the bedroom. This way its a permanent mount, and all I have to do is move the tv cord from plug to plug, depending on where I'm camping. We do stop at some resort when we travel that do have shore power, so i'm think running a new line up would be the best case scenario. If I could locate the wire to the existing plug, I would cut and terminate it in the basement and put a male plug end on it and keep it a permanent setup on the inverter. (best case scenario)
Old 06-16-2015, 12:13 AM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
There aren't any lights or anything in the bedroom where you could tap some 12V?

Just some more amazing "engineering" and "design" work from Dutchmen.

Like a lot of people I just hate to see the power wasted on the inverter if not necessary.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:34 AM   #17

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
Not really, just the very quiet whir of an internal fan cooling the inverter circuit. It is FAR less than the fan on your converter. These things are basically sealed 12V battery packs. (The battery itself is about large-motorcycle sized). It has a built-in charger when you plug in 120 vac, and presents its outputs as jumper cables, cigarette lighter plugs, and it runs USB and 120 VAC inverter outputs. Plus of course the light and the air compressor. Can also be charged 12VDC to 12VDC with a two-headed (male to male) cigarette lighter cord.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #18

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Probably not anymore, it's a discontinued by manufacture thing.
Yes, it's true that it is not currently made by Stanley. But these things have been around for a while, in many variations. Simple jump boxes, some include compressors, some USB, and this one has 120VAC. But they are out there, (available here at Amazon), and they will continue to be marketed, in one form or another. This is my second, and I'll never be without one again! (The first one wouldn't take a charge after about 7 years, and a replacement battery was more than a new box)
Note: If you check Amazon, there are several types of these, some bigger. The Black and Decker is an orange clone (same parent company). In the Questions, one guy says it powers his 40" TV with converter box for 3 hours.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:30 AM   #19

Oklahoma
Quote:
Yes, it's true that it is not currently made by Stanley. But these things have been around for a while, in many variations. Simple jump boxes, some include compressors, some USB, and this one has 120VAC. But they are out there, (available here at Amazon), and they will continue to be marketed, in one form or another. This is my second, and I'll never be without one again! (The first one wouldn't take a charge after about 7 years, and a replacement battery was more than a new box)
Note: If you check Amazon, there are several types of these, some bigger. The Black and Decker is an orange clone (same parent company). In the Questions, one guy says it powers his 40" TV with converter box for 3 hours.
I was just noting the particular one you referenced on Amazon is discontinued. Yes, there are a vast variety of these things out there, some good, some not so good.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #20

New York
Quote:
Not really, just the very quiet whir of an internal fan cooling the inverter circuit. It is FAR less than the fan on your converter. These things are basically sealed 12V battery packs. (The battery itself is about large-motorcycle sized). It has a built-in charger when you plug in 120 vac, and presents its outputs as jumper cables, cigarette lighter plugs, and it runs USB and 120 VAC inverter outputs. Plus of course the light and the air compressor. Can also be charged 12VDC to 12VDC with a two-headed (male to male) cigarette lighter cord.
Thanks for the feedback.......showed this to DH and he tells me he has one......OK so now I need him to mount the TV in the bedroom and we can watch some news & weather at night...

Thanks again!
Nana Kathy

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote