Pex - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2015, 11:15 PM   #1

Illinois
Pex

Getting ready to address my first plumbing leak in the master bath behind the fireplace. I know from what you all say to use PEX. Watched a couple of You Tube videos and I guess there are a couple of different types, but from what I saw, it looks like the dealer uses crimping instead of expansion (Stick with it?) Also, from what I saw you need different size crimpers for different size pipe. To save me from multiple hardware store trips, what size is my hot/cold feed lines to showers, sinks, etc., and do you think that most all of the lines are the same size?
Thanks,
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:00 AM   #2

I dont know about your 3990 buy my 3200 has all the same size lines feeding the unit..I would suspect yours has all the same size lines also.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:18 AM   #3

Oklahoma
I'm sure you will find 1/2" PEX in your RV. Red and blue indicating hot and cold respectively. Might find some white somewhere that will probably be for cold water.

PEX crimps as I have in my RV are the pinch type, the tool grabs a raised portion of the crimp and pinches it tight. The crimp looks similar to an automotive hose clamp. One time use only. This type of crimp needs only one tool and will accommodate the different size of crimps. Once calibrated the tool will squeeze the crimps to the appropriate tension.
These crimps are easy to use and don't be alarmed if the connection swivels under the crimp. Once crimped the PEX won't leak and allows you to position the connection without leaking.

Now, the other style, the solid ring, is somewhat different. Each size crimp ring requires a different size tool or set of jaws. This tool requires a 'go-no-go gauge. What the gauge does is indicates if the ring is compressed adequately. If correct the crimp will pass the 'go' stage, if not it's a no go and requires adjustment of the tool to enable adequate compression.

I use the squeeze type crimp to repair any leaks in my RV and have been using this type plumbing a house that I am rehabbing.

Lowes sells 20 foot sticks of 3/4 and 1/2 inch PEX. They also sell short sections of white in different sizes but it's usually white.

Cutting the PEX tubing is easy with regular PVC cutters, or a sharp utility knife (somewhat dangerous), I use a pair of electrical large cable cutters.
The PEX will distort upon cutting so you might have to squeeze it back into shape.

There is a cutter tool to remove the solid rings or one can use a small triangular file and cut it open. Regular diagonal cutters can be used to remove the pinch type crimp, sometimes a small screwdriver helps to lift the edge so the diagonals can grab onto the lip and open the crimp.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:57 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I use the ring style, mainly because that is what I already have the tools for. I have had to replumb a couple of houses that I own that had polybutylene in them. Also just got done replumbing my parents house... with copper. Dad wanted it, because it lasted nearly 100 years the first go around.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #5

Illinois
Thanks guys.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote