Onan Generator QG 5500 Help - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #1

Colorado
Onan Generator QG 5500 Help

Hello,

Does anyone have an Onan QG 5500 generator? If so, could you check the fuel line check valve for me? I am wanting to know if the arrow on the check valve is pointing up towards the carburetor or down back towards the tank on their unit for me. Also, could you verify if the the check valve is on the return hose or the supply?

I have been dealing with an issue that when the fuel tank gets hot from the ambient air and pressurizes, fuel is being forced into the generator and flooding the cylinders and oil sump. Oil/gas is then leaking from the exhaust out the the exhaust pipe or overflowing the oil reservoir. I added a shut off valve to the supply side thinking it was how the fuel was flooding the unit, but apparently it is coming from the return side. The arrow on my check valve is installed facing the top of the engine which I believe is the wrong direction.

Here is a picture of how my check valve is installed. Unit was purchased new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1da6.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	6333  

bkuuz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #2

Florida
The arrow is the direction of fuel flow, point should point to carburetor.

Sounds like you have a stuck float in carburetor or a defective fuel pump. My vote would be rebuild carburetor and never use ethanol in your generator. Also use stabilizer.

How many hours on generator?

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #3

Oklahoma
I would say your gas cap is not venting properly......or your return line is pinched or clogged
elfaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:04 PM   #4

Florida
On the bottom of float bowl facing you is a screw that will drain float bowl out of the nipple Just behind it Hold a small plastic water bottle Under that nipple loosen screw (motor off) You should get a dribble of fuel into bottle that will let you know if your getting fuel to carb. If you are not mechanically inclined do Not this Send me your number I’ll text you back a short video. This weekend I’ll do a YouTube on some Things to look for on these generators for simple troubleshooting. All our best fla
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote