Newbie....need some reassurance! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #1

Texas
Newbie....need some reassurance!

So....we recently purchased a new Voltage V 3605 from Explore USA in Kyle, TX (south of Austin). So far, the purchase was smooth but the delivery has been less than stellar. Bare with me, long story. First, we made the deal on a 3605 which was located on a sister lot about an hour away, site unseen other than pictures. After a day or two, we were called only to tell us that the 3605 had been sold a few hours before we put a deposit down. Grrrr, however, the sales manager informed us that a NEW 3605 was coming off the assembly line in a couple of days and we would receive a brand new, never been on a lot model. We thought this was fabulous, and agreed to this model. Well the NEW unit was supposed to be shipped that same Friday....three weeks later and a scheduled appointment to deliver the unit and we find out today that it JUST shipped this morning! We've got a bunch of run around from the dealer, other than rapidly pushing the purchase order and financing through, they've been less than forthcoming with info. We've had to pry for almost any news, and getting an invoice on our actual unit took three days and an act of congress.

So your probably asking yourself "why didn't we pull the plug and go elsewhere"? Well, we love the Voltage model and it's nicer than any other toy hauler we've looked at. Explore USA is the only dealer that sells them anywhere in our area. When we made the initial deal, I managed to get them to match the price to a model I had quoted from Holman RV in OH. I was fully prepared to drive to OH to save $$$, but since the dealer was local I opted to go with them.

Since the process started....it seems like every time now I Google the unit, Dutchmen, Voltage or Explore USA in general I find a TON of negative comments, poor craftsmanship, defective equipment, horrible service from Ex USA, etc. etc. I usually take these with a grain of salt, as you can find negative comments on anything you want. However, these comments are really starting to weigh heavily on me and I'm questioning my entire decision.

Question to you owners...would you buy it again, and am I going to be OK with my Voltage???

Sorry for the rant!

jonthefireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:05 AM   #2

Texas
Stand easy Fireman Jon. I have come to the conclusion that there is not a perfect RV. We have had pretty good luck with our Dutchmen compared to some of the folks out there. I have had to fix a few of the shortcuts that the assembly line took. Most are easily fixed, but I think owning an RV is much easier if you have a little ingenuity and mechanical sense. We lucked into a great dealership (Best Value, Denton Texas) who have promptly taken care of any issues I did not feel like tackling. I hope that Explore USA comes through for you.

The main thing is that you found the floor plan model with the features you liked. We have had ours for 15 months and still are glad we got the one we did. We really enjoy RVing and hope that yall will have a great time with yours.

This is a great site to ask a question and get advice from others experience. Welcome!!!

Old 04-11-2014, 01:35 AM   #3

Texas
I drove to Batavia OH in 2012 to save almost $10K off the lowest price I could find in Texas of my first TH and I just got a great deal on my new TH last month from Explore in Dallas.

If you can get the right price locally it will be worth the wait. When you take delivery you'll forget about any buyers remorse you may feel now.

Remember Chevy Chase's mantra... nanananananananana!!!

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #4

Nevada
Welcome many happy travels. Be real thorough with your PDI.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:15 AM   #5

Wyoming
The important thing to remember is that when you Google reviews on anything you'll find a ton of negativity. Anyone with an axe to grind finds a lot of energy to spread their bad fortune to anyone and everyone. Most people who have a good experience never write about it on a forum.

I don't own a Voltage but another Dutchman product (Komfort). I can't say anything bad about my purchase and yes, I would definitely buy it again.

Welcome to the forum and I wish you many happy trips with your new unit.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #6

Texas
Thanks for the positive input. I think we got a really good deal on the 3605, considering what the dealer was asking before I produced the quote from Holman! We've also taken that into consideration with the post dealer attitude towards delivery but hey, their the ones that sold it that cheap!

I'm pretty handy with tools, so I'm not really worried about the "minor" issues that will occur after delivery. What I am mainly concerned about is the slide outs, I've heard not so good things about them.

Anyone have any specific items to really look hard at during delivery?
jonthefireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthefireman View Post
Thanks for the positive input. I think we got a really good deal on the 3605, considering what the dealer was asking before I produced the quote from Holman! We've also taken that into consideration with the post dealer attitude towards delivery but hey, their the ones that sold it that cheap!

I'm pretty handy with tools, so I'm not really worried about the "minor" issues that will occur after delivery. What I am mainly concerned about is the slide outs, I've heard not so good things about them.

As far a your slides go. Make sure the unit is leveled up. Get it plugged in and operate each slide fully retract and fully extend all of them at five or six times. Run one in and out. Go the the next then the next. Assuming you have three. Don't just overwork a single slide by doing it over and over with out letting it rest a bit. Your batteries will need to be up. Don't stop and start the slide on it's trek in or out. Listen for popping or grinding noises. It will creak and moan when it comes to rest at the in and out positions, that in normal. Hold the button until it stops moving each way. You should be OK. Get level and powered up. Run your generator and two of your AC units. Run the microwave. Let the generator run for a fair time. Couple hours at least. Also the AC's and heater. You should be able to find a through PDI on the internet. Access to water and sewer should be on your list of items to have access to. It you can, spend a night or two on the lot living in your new unit. Operate your awning and see that the wind up evenly. One of mine had the plastic insert that holds it in the channel cut short. They never were able or willing to fix that after it left the lot. Check your rear patio screen door for staying shut and also check the the screen stay in the channel on each side. It the screen comes down unevenly it will most likely pop out of the channel. Look up at where the screen housing enclosure is mounted see it has a decent shield up there to keep the bugs out. Operate you eclectic beds. Make sure all drawers latch firmly in place and slide with relative ease. The screws they have been using in the draw latchs are flat head and should be dome head. The flat head screw creates a wedge and inserted into an oval hole split the hole.

The list go on and on. It is by far the best to discover and have ant items fixed before they start the title transfer.

Not saying the units are junk or anything. They just rush through the build and stuff happens. Find it first and you will be a happy camper.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #8

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Find it first and you will be a happy camper.
If you listen to Arlan you will be a happier camper.

We are happy with our Voltage but we have been through all this stuff and more AFTER the PDI.

We are still learning our Voltage after 9 months of living in it full time. Yesterday I learned how to tilt my side awnings down so the rain will run off.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #9

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthefireman View Post
Make sure you get all your loose goodies!!!

Tables, legs, ladders, sink covers, folding & reclining chairs, back up camera, ect...

Print out the STD features and any of the EPIC Package options list the trailer should have as a goodies checklist at your PDI.

Mike & Helen
Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb5146 View Post
Yesterday I learned how to tilt my side awnings down so the rain will run off.
Oh, you just have to share this with us.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #11

California
Well, from another fireman, retired, I have not a lot of good to say about our NEW 2014 Denali 293RKS. I have a list of (9) items that needed to be fixed on our trailer.
The first being the ladder. Our trailer along with every one I looked at on the lot (I won't name where we made our purchase) should be "red lined: for safety concerns. All are improperly installed and are a climbing safety risk. Mine came unbolted from the trailer and was unusable immediately.
The front door lock did not line up with the sticker plate, so we could lock the trailer from the inside. This, I only found out when we were on our first trip.

Like I said, I have a list....FOR A BRAND NEW TRAILER. It has been in the shop for six weeks now.
I WILL think, even after extensive research, if I would purchase another Dutchmen product.
rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #12

Texas
Quote:
X2... With pics!!!

Mike & Helen
Old 04-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
X2... With pics!!!
Don't have pics right now but the coach is at the house for a weekend trip this afternoon.

Once extended if you look at the arms you will see a series of 4-5 holes and a push pin. You can adjust each arm there to tilt/lower the leading edge of the awning.

I found it two weeks ago
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #14

California
Just picked up our V3605 last Saturday. This is the 9th RV I've bought in 27+ years. Have tweeked everyone except the Teton which I bought new in 03 & still have. I can say that we picked this one because of the floor plan and the great price we got. I went over everything I could think of with our PDI. Camped in it over night and didn't find any major problems. It's not a Teton but we like it & should fit what we want to do now.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #15

Arkansas
Quote:
I kept noticing the pictures where they were talking about the legs on the rear awning. The side awnings were tilted much more than mine. So I started studying them yesterday and here is what I found.

Don't forget to read the WARNING.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
I kept noticing the pictures where they were talking about the legs on the rear awning. The side awnings were tilted much more than mine. So I started studying them yesterday and here is what I found.

Don't forget the read the WARNING.
So, can you operate the awing without returning the pins to the original positions. Sounds like it, according to the sticker.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #17

Arkansas
Quote:
So, can you operate the awing without returning the pins to the original positions. Sounds like it, according to the sticker.
Yes sir. I just tried it just for you Arlan. I love the new tilt. I'll get some good out of my awning now.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #18

California
Another thing to ad to my tweek list.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #19

Texas
Quote:
If you listen to Arlan you will be a happier camper.

We are happy with our Voltage but we have been through all this stuff and more AFTER the PDI.

We are still learning our Voltage after 9 months of living in it full time. Yesterday I learned how to tilt my side awnings down so the rain will run off.
Disregard. Didn't look close enough at previous threads.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #20

Arizona
Quote:

Don't forget to read the WARNING.
I see you have the side that is showing as low as it will go. Correct? Is the other side set higher by several clicks. I was messing with mine a bit ago but it is hot out and the wind was kicking up just a little. The idea of lowering one side is so you do not create a lake in your awning. Is this correct also?