Newbie....need some reassurance! - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #21

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I see you have the side that is showing as low as it will go. Correct? Is the other side set higher by several clicks. I was messing with mine a bit ago but it is hot out and the wind was kicking up just a little. The idea of lowering one side is so you do not create a lake in your awning. Is this correct also?
Correct. I lowered both as low as they would go. I don't know about lowering just one side. It seems that lowering both sides is going to allow the water to run off and not create a lake. I may have to experiment when it rains.

slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #22

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb5146 View Post
Correct. I lowered both as low as they would go. I don't know about lowering just one side. It seems that lowering both sides is going to allow the water to run off and not create a lake. I may have to experiment when it rains.
Thanks, I thought you had sloped the awning. I just went out a lower both sides as far as they would go. The awing fabric was making contact with my slide. I then retracted the awing and as it goes back it goes up so there was not problem with clearance when retracting.

Then the set the left side all the way up and dropped the right side three notches to get slope to the awning. When I retraced it with one side full up and the other three down, it retracted fine.

I don't have much awning/rain experience except this little ditty.

About 7 years ago I had a KZ Industries Toy Hauler with an awning. I had the awing extended and staked back with tie downs. We had a huge rain storm one night. I got up in the morning and could not open my main door. I went out the rear door and the awing had so much water in it that the front awning extrusion was bowed in about a foot of so the the awning was dipping down in the center a couple of feet. I was thinking I would have to cut it until I came up with the idea to wrap a weight around one end of a garden hose, toss it up there and siphon the water out.

I was a really wet year here in the desert. I just left the awning retracted the rest of the year.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #23

Texas
Quote:
Appears we have the same TravelR Adjustable Pitch Awning. The Carefree manual i got with our trailer describes a "Auto-Dump Feature" It basically states when awning is set at the minimum flat pitch, it will automatically dump any accumulated water. "This feature works by having one arm automatically folding partially closed to create a valley in the canopy." "When the water has drained the arm will extend back to normal.

I have been using this feature since Day 1 and is flawless. Only disadvantage is it will dump the water closed to the trailer. The other thing i found is the awning needs to be almost to full extension.

For some reason i was not able to find anything on the carefree website. I can post copy of my manual if needed.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #24

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmroper View Post
It basically states when awning is set at the minimum flat pitch, it will automatically dump any accumulated water. "This feature works by having one arm automatically folding partially closed to create a valley in the canopy." "When the water has drained the arm will extend back to normal.

I have been using this feature since Day 1 and is flawless. Only disadvantage is it will dump the water closed to the trailer. The other thing i found is the awning needs to be almost to full extension.

For some reason i was not able to find anything on the carefree website. I can post copy of my manual if needed.
My awning has been set at minimum flat pitch since I bought it. As far as I know It has not ever automatically dumped. I always end up with a lake on top. I now have it set for maximum tilt. It shades my camper much better this way and I hope the water will drain better.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #25

Texas
Quote:
My awning has been set at minimum flat pitch since I bought it. As far as I know It has not ever automatically dumped. I always end up with a lake on top. I now have it set for maximum tilt. It shades my camper much better this way and I hope the water will drain better.
It does take a pretty good rain before it will dump, and when it does it's like a small waterfall. I first learned of the feature when a bunch of standing underneath the two awnings during a hard rain nearly got drenched. We have adjusted ours on occasion for the extra shade.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #26

Oklahoma
Yep, one side lower to let the water drain. It may be easier to adjust pin positions with the awning closed. That way you have more control over the arm because you'll have to jiggle it a little to get the pin to release/seat.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #27

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Yep, one side lower to let the water drain. It may be easier to adjust pin positions with the awning closed. That way you have more control over the arm because you'll have to jiggle it a little to get the pin to release/seat.
They adjusted easily with awning extended. Just push the pin and pull or push on the cross (x) brace.

I was lucky. Found that my rear awning has a small hole and tear in it. Did I do it? Rather doubt it as the awing has only been out a couple of times to see it it actually move. When I had my window awnings installed last winter the installer from Carefree told me the awing material on the Voltage main awnings is the cheapest they make.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote