New to Toy Hauler, some advice please - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #1

Arkansas
New to Toy Hauler, some advice please

After years of towing our 5th wheel and a motorcycle trailer, we decided to try a toy hauler.

We just purchased a used one to see how we would like it. We believe with the garage for the bike that can then be a porch for our labs it will be a good move.

It is a 2003 Dutchman 35SRV Classic. So a few questions.
1. Is there anywhere I can obtain an owners manual so I can learn more about the unit.
2. When loading the bike should the RV be connected to the truck and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

labill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:52 AM   #2

Wyoming
You won’t find anything but a generic manual that tells you nothing. It’s worthless. Instead, what you’ll want to do is find the make & model for each of your appliances & components... then go online to find specific owners/users manuals for them.

As for loading & unloading, you should be able to do so either way (hitched/unhitched). One note... if you raise the landing gear, you decrease the ramp angle, thus making loading & unloading easier.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:00 AM   #3

Arkansas
Thanks

Tom,
Will do just that. I am sure some of my manuals in my Avion will cover some of it.

Thanks for the tip for loading.

Thanks again,
Bill
Old 09-08-2018, 03:17 AM   #4

Ontario
We had a 2003 35SRV. What would you like to know? There is no manual for the whole unit.

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

Arkansas
I will have some questions about specifics after I pick up the unit. I will ask you then.

Thank you,
Bill
Old 09-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #6

Ontario
I'll tell you that the biggest / bestest change we made was to replace everything between the frame and the ground - 7000 axles and springs, Dexter wet bolts, new wheels and Goodyear 614 tires. That got rid of all the blowouts and broken suspension components
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #7

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by labill View Post
After years of towing our 5th wheel and a motorcycle trailer, we decided to try a toy hauler.

We just purchased a used one to see how we would like it. We believe with the garage for the bike that can then be a porch for our labs it will be a good move.

1. Is there anywhere I can obtain an owners manual so I can learn more about the unit.
2. When loading the bike should the RV be connected to the truck and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
See the attached file..that is all I could find, the brochure.
2018 Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat
GTULOWITZKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #8

Oklahoma
My HD will hi center if I am not careful. I try to make sure the tail is low or nose is high to produce the lowest angle I can get with the terrain.

A lesson I learned first time out. Lol.
vinopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #9

Colorado
I haven't had that much issue with the ramp angle. But I'm loading a Polaris UTV.

With the jacks down no problem loading it hitched or unhitched.

Not sure what you're hauling in the garage...bike, quad or UTV...but I upgraded the D-ring tie down hardware as the OEM were deforming. I did a good post on what I did and can answer questions and provide parts for the project.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #10

North Dakota
Quote:

Thanks,
Bill
Fourth Year using V3805. The fourteen foot garage is my space. I have a Condor brand removable wheel chock. Used to haul a 950 pound Goldwing. Lash the front wheel to the chock, secure the rear wheel both directions... done.
Glamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:45 AM   #11

California
Securing your toy

Quote:

Thanks,
Bill
Remember to either tie your wheels down or tie You framework forward and backward (opposing directions) so the suspension on the toy can float. Don’t attempt to tie the suspension down. You will just pull out your tie down points or break straps.
If you are carrying an off road toy, I like to also carry a small pressure washer to clean up so I don’t get my garage dirty.
Lastly, don’t ever hose out the garage!!! Dry clean and vacuum only. They are not water tight and you will create some serious problems. This includes the ramp.

Thanks
Rob
Rob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:23 PM   #12

Oregon
Toy hauler & bike

Ok so I'm not the fastest responder in the world, hey I'm old now!

Have a Goldwing and load & unload while hooiked up, anything you can do to reduce the ramp angle such as parking with front of trailer/back of truck in a dip helps.

Discovered I could hardly keep the bike under control half the time due to my short legs in transitioning off the ramp to the ground so get a helper.

Also the wing would skid down the ramp even with the front brake locked up in an attempt to control the speed, so finally discovered using the electric reverse solved all of my problems.

When loading, I just ride it into the Lock & Load bike stand, get off and strap it down. So far have not managed to ride thru sliding glass door a couple of inches away from tire.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #13

Maryland
I don't own a toy hauler, but could you install a winch in your rig to help you load/unload it under better control/slower.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:20 PM   #14

Colorado
israelws,
question. Does your toyhauler have hydraulic leveling system?
If it does, or actually if it doesn't, before unloading a heavy bike like a Goldwing...

Unhook from the truck and raise the front of the Toyhauler as high as you can. That reduces the angle between the garage floor and ramp.

Cut a 2x4 the width of the ramp and put it under the end of the ramp, on the ground.
This also reduced the angle.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #15

Arizona
As a duner/off roader, my garage gets very sandy and dirty. I keep an electric leaf blower that I use after unloaring everything to blow it out after the toys are removed.
I mounted hooks on the walls in the garage to hang the bed ladders.
I installed a couple brackets on the walls to slide the table top into for storage, better than using under the bed IMO.
I have loaded my 16.5' long sand rail both connected and disconnected, the rig didnt care either way. Jacking the front up does help if clearance is needed for loading as others have mentioned.

4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote