New Shoes on Voltage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #1

New Shoes on Voltage

Today I mounted new tires I had ordered to replace my nearly new Akuret factory tires. In an earlier thread I mentioned my Akuret had blown on a lengthy trip. 100 miles from home in rain one tire came apart like a two dollar watch. Well, while taking off the tires I found a second tire had a large bubble on the inside near the rim. A future bomb with the fuse lit. Thank God I found it before it decided to self destruct.
My new tires are Maxxis. I will see if the Thai's can build a better tire than the Chinese. I put nitrogen in them to help with heat and air loss when sitting around.

The new tires has a DOT date of 2213. Let see if they last.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #2

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
Today I mounted new tires I had ordered to replace my nearly new Akuret factory tires. In an earlier thread I mentioned my Akuret had blown on a lengthy trip. 100 miles from home in rain one tire came apart like a two dollar watch. Well, while taking off the tires I found a second tire had a large bubble on the inside near the rim. A future bomb with the fuse lit. Thank God I found it before it decided to self destruct.
My new tires are Maxxis. I will see if the Thai's can build a better tire than the Chinese. I put nitrogen in them to help with heat and air loss when sitting around.

Did you take your trailer to the tire store or did you take the wheels and tires off yourself and have them replaced? Did they give you anything for the old (almost new) tires?
I'm going to get them replaced on mine within the next week.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #3

My SIL and I took them off ourselves. He has access to a tire machine, balancer and Nitrogen machine. I am still holding onto the old tires until I hear from DelNat and what they intend to do for me if anything. I am going to call them tomorrow via telephone and advise them of the problem I discovered with the second tire.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

I got an email from Del-Nat today referring me to Lionshead tire to handle the claim. Of course when I called the person was on the other line or away from their desk. What an overused line for a message.
Anyway I will try to keep you informed as the claim progresses.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #5

California
Quote:

Got my new Maxxis tires today. Date code 2613. Now I'm looking for a tire shop that can change out the Akuret tires and put these Maxxis tires on my wheels and fill with nitrogen.

Tanman
When you balanced your new tires, what kind og weights did you go with? stick on , crimp on or what?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #6

@waytoogood... I went with a combination of stick on and rim weights. The tires were way out of balance over 6 ounces each so the weights were split somewhat.

I posted in another thread the lousy service Lionshead is giving for a tire adjustment. After finally getting ahold of the warranty woman she sent to me via email a claims form. They want everything about the tires with pictures and even cut out the date codes and DOT codes. They also want to know all about the RV they were on including paperwork when it was purchased. I can see this claim never being settled to my satisfaction if at all.
It is a shame they just dont handle it like I had a uniroyal years ago. I sent them the tire, an estimate and pictures. 2 weeks later I had a check.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #7

California
Quote:
@waytoogood... I went with a combination of stick on and rim weights. The tires were way out of balance over 6 ounces each so the weights were split somewhat.

I posted in another thread the lousy service Lionshead is giving for a tire adjustment. After finally getting ahold of the warranty woman she sent to me via email a claims form. They want everything about the tires with pictures and even cut out the date codes and DOT codes. They also want to know all about the RV they were on including paperwork when it was purchased. I can see this claim never being settled to my satisfaction if at all.
It is a shame they just dont handle it like I had a uniroyal years ago. I sent them the tire, an estimate and pictures. 2 weeks later I had a check.
It is a shame that I have to replace new tires (my trailer is 5 months old) with another set of new tires at my expense. You buy a $100k trailer and can't trust to tow it in fear of having a blowout. I hope Lionshead Tire will give us something in return for there junk tires. By the way, the general manager's name is Tim Miller at Lionshead. See if we all call him they will do something about there unsafe tires before someone gets hurt !!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #8

Oklahoma
Let's see, Lionshead has a very lucrative contract with an RV manufacturer to supply the tires. That means many tires shipped to the manufacturer with very little accountability regarding the tire's serviceability. We know there is little accountability because we know there is little to no QC with the manufacturer.

We can probably expect Lionshead to place more emphasis on fulfilling the contracts and less emphasis on adjusting a consumer's claim. We know they can paperwork to us to hell and we will eventually give up and spend some time bad mouthing their product. However, the contract will prevail and we will simply go away eventually.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Let's see, Lionshead has a very lucrative contract with an RV manufacturer to supply the tires. That means many tires shipped to the manufacturer with very little accountability regarding the tire's serviceability. We know there is little accountability because we know there is little to no QC with the manufacturer.

We can probably expect Lionshead to place more emphasis on fulfilling the contracts and less emphasis on adjusting a consumer's claim. We know they can paperwork to us to hell and we will eventually give up and spend some time bad mouthing their product. However, the contract will prevail and we will simply go away eventually.
Your exactly right. I see this coming already. The paperwork, cutting the tire to remove the codes to send in, the proof of purchase etc. something not right and I will get another email saying i forgot to dot an "I" or cross a "T". On and on it will go. They even want the pictures numbered if it involves multiple tires. On top of that Brenda will not return your calls because she is "away from her desk or assisting another customer" .. how many times have you heard that recording.

I haven't even started good and am fed up with the process.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #10

Alabama
After the third Akuret replacement I replaced mine this past week. I went with Goodyear G614s. I talked to a friend who is in the industry and he told me that the ST tires will not hold up in the south and he suggested I go with the LT tires instead. They are date coded 3013 and hope to get much better service from them than I got from the Akuret's. In all my previous RVs I have never had a problem with a Goodyear tire so I had to go with an American made tire...
swaldrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldrep View Post
After the third Akuret replacement I replaced mine this past week. I went with Goodyear G614s. I talked to a friend who is in the industry and he told me that the ST tires will not hold up in the south and he suggested I go with the LT tires instead. They are date coded 3013 and hope to get much better service from them than I got from the Akuret's. In all my previous RVs I have never had a problem with a Goodyear tire so I had to go with an American made tire...
An American company, but the tires are actually made in China, to Goodyear standards. Stuff can be made in China and be excellent quality. Got to have good QC at the factory is all.

I like things that are made in China. Personally don't care where something is made, as long as it's quality product.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #12

Alabama
VoltageGuy, my DOT plant code shows my tires were manufactured in the Topeka, Kansas Goodyear plant.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Where did you find tires that are less than two months from manufacturer to store.

Any time I have looked at date codes on tires in stores, I am seeing 6 months or more between manu, to store.

Your tire store must be right beside the factory.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Where did you find tires that are less than two months from manufacturer to store.

Any time I have looked at date codes on tires in stores, I am seeing 6 months or more between manu, to store.

Your tire store must be right beside the factory. I think i' make a detour to get me some fresh skins, on the way home. I'll be working on the third set since leaving.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #15

Alabama
I was at the camping world in Nashville. they had to order them because they were out of stock.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
An American company, but the tires are actually made in China, to Goodyear standards. Stuff can be made in China and be excellent quality. Got to have good QC at the factory is all.

I like things that are made in China. Personally don't care where something is made, as long as it's quality product.
Volt,

I agree with you on many of your posts, but I am afraid we disagree on products made in China.

Yes QC at the manufacturing level has to be there, but who is policing the the off shore manufacturers, to ensure that once the suits go back to America, they don't start taking liberties.

I am a Canadian who lives on the same wet coast that you do, and proud to be Canadian, just as I am very sure that you are proud to stand up for the Red, White and Blue.

I don't know if you remember back a few years, when Chinese manufactured pet food was killing our cats and dogs, because they were "enhancing" the food with a toxic substance called melamine.

How about the surgical gloves, contaminated with rat droppings and insects trapped in them manufacturing processes. Anybody for a heart transplant? No thanks.

How about the baby food laced with god only knows what, toys laced with lead paint, defective car seats, etc, etc, etc. every time I cut a finger and go for Johnson and Johnson bandage, I make damn sure it has no visible defects, what scares me is the crap I can't see.

My wife and I have had the privilege of driving across the northern states of your great country and were appalled as we drove past factory after factory in WI, Il, OH, MI, NY that were shuttered and the workers laid off and their jobs shipped to China in the name of the bottom line and making the shareholder happy. I say screw the shareholder, which I happen to one, but I only buy NA companies and I only buy NA products, unless absolutely no NA product is available to meet my needs.

It saddens me every-time I go out to the garage and seen my Milwaukee Iron and knowing that it is probably only about 80% NA the other 20% coming from who knows where.

My wife has resigned herself to the fact that when we are shopping, the first thing that is to be determined is "where is it made". If comes down to a NA product being available VS an off shore and even though it. costs more, guess which product goes in the cart and which goes back on the shelf.

On our way home from this trip we hope to cover much of your heart lands and certainly hope that we are not going to see the same carnage there that has been levelled on your Northern States.

I am going to climb down off my soap box now, and for any one who I may have offended with my personal opinions, I sort of kind of apologize.

But like I said several times before, the line that I have borrowed from somebody much wiser than I, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more".

If it ain't made in NA I probably don't need it.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #17

California
Yes, I pretty much agree with you on what you said. Problem is I can't afford to be that choosy. Like many others, I'm always looking for ways not to spend as much. It may be too bad that China makes so much, and without a lot of oversight. But what can I do? The last bunch of LED bulbs I bought, for instance, came from China. I paid $2 per bulb. I could have bought the same thing from a place selling them in the states for $8 per bulb. Same thing. Why would I do that? I had to buy 30 of them. That's $60 vs $240 for the same quantity.

Well, if it's not made in NA, I just might need or want it anyway. I applaud anyone for the ability to take the line you take. I just can't do it.

As for the tires thing... that's another area that has me completely mystified. I'm beginning to thing what's more important than WHERE they're made is HOW I maintain them.

Moving on...
Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
Yes, I pretty much agree with you on what you said. Problem is I can't afford to be that choosy. Like many others, I'm always looking for ways not to spend as much. It may be too bad that China makes so much, and without a lot of oversight. But what can I do? The last bunch of LED bulbs I bought, for instance, came from China. I paid $2 per bulb. I could have bought the same thing from a place selling them in the states for $8 per bulb. Same thing. Why would I do that? I had to buy 30 of them. That's $60 vs $240 for the same quantity.

Well, if it's not made in NA, I just might need or want it anyway. I applaud anyone for the ability to take the line you take. I just can't do it.

As for the tires thing... that's another area that has me completely mystified. I'm beginning to thing what's more important than WHERE they're made is HOW I maintain them.

Moving on...
Volt,

This is the 3rd time I am trying to reply, I hope this one works.

First, I did not mean to offend you, if I did please accept my sincere apologies.

Again another topic we agree on, maintenance or lack there of is probably the biggest killer of tires. That a not preparing them correctly for storage, which can and often does cause premature dry rot and failures.

We also agree on the LEDs now, not so much 5-6 years ago. The Chinese certainly have improved quality in LEDS. Bought a set of under counter LEDS for the kitchen at home back 5-6 years ago. I sure am glad that I wanted a glass of water that night, they were just about ready to ignite when I got to the kitchen. I took them back and exchanged them, exact same problem with the next set. I didn't even took them back and said "no thanks" to a second exchange, "money back please".

I hope that we can continue to agree on many things and agree to disagree on others, but above all remain friends on the board.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #19

California
hd, no worries. I never took any offense. The boards are places to share and have your say. Disagreement is good. The right spirit of friendship is apparent here. I like this forum, and the people I've met here.

I appreciate all the comments I read, and try to add something of value whenever I visit. Thanks again for everything.