New Owner - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #1

Colorado
New Owner

Hey all, I thought I would introduce myself. I recently purchased a 2012 3950 that, as I indicated on another thread. My wife and three boys are looking forward to using it. All are in involved in Scouting as we are as parents too. I would appreciate any thoughts as to the 3950 and the vintage. It appears to have been used once or twice. I am scheduled to do a detailed mechanical walk through this weekend. The dealer is doing a comprehensive system check.

I guess my question as a new owner and first time RV'er any advice. I am versed in towing. I have a F350 SRW 8ft bed that I am going to swap for a dually. Any initial thoughts are welcome as are anything to watch our for with this particular unit. Are there any good sources for online parts as such?

MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #2

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
Hey all, I thought I would introduce myself. I recently purchased a 2012 3950 that, as I indicated on another thread. My wife and three boys are looking forward to using it. All are in involved in Scouting as we are as parents too. I would appreciate any thoughts as to the 3950 and the vintage. It appears to have been used once or twice. I am scheduled to do a detailed mechanical walk through this weekend. The dealer is doing a comprehensive system check.

I guess my question as a new owner and first time RV'er any advice. I am versed in towing. I have a F350 SRW 8ft bed that I am going to swap for a dually. Any initial thoughts are welcome as are anything to watch our for with this particular unit. Are there any good sources for online parts as such?
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the RV community!

I, like you, am relatively new to the hobby too. We picked our V3605 up a few months back and have been out several times. I can contribute well over 50% of what I've learned to this forum, it is truly a wealth of information!

In regards to parts, there are a million ways to spend your money and many different opinions. I took a look around here for advice from water hoses to stinky hoses, and everything in between. At the end of the day, I bought 90% of my equipment online, most through eBay. I wasn't pressed for time and found the cost around 10% less than WalMart. Some Wally Worlds have a good supply of RV sundries, others don't. Camping World is pricey, but has some cool stuff you won't likely find anywhere else local.

I've learned a TON in the last few months, and what works for some may not work for you. Good luck, and if you have any specific questions just ask, someone will be glad to help you out! BTW....an excellent first trip out for you in the DFW area is Jellystone RV Park down in Burleson. Great stuff for the kids, moderately priced.

2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '07 Heritage Softail 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS
jonthefireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

Colorado
What comes to mind first is to make sure the trailer has a "Trail Air" hitch.

Then make sure you have a heavy duty enough 5th wheel hitch on the truck. I really suggest the Reese 30K.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

Then make sure you have a heavy duty enough 5th wheel hitch on the truck. I really suggest the Reese 30K.

Pirate
I second the Trailair hitch. The V3605 is a dual axle Voltage and came with a standard pin box. After the first trip, I replaced it with a Trailair. HUGE difference in towing, especially for me with a SRW 3/4 ton truck.
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '07 Heritage Softail 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS
Old 05-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthefireman View Post
I second the Trailair hitch. The V3605 is a dual axle Voltage and came with a standard pin box. After the first trip, I replaced it with a Trailair. HUGE difference in towing, especially for me with a SRW 3/4 ton truck.
John is your truck a 4x4? My 1 ton is & I had to raise the hitch pin on the Voltage all the way up to help level it out. Still a little high in the front. Didn't the Trailair raise the front of your V3605.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
John is your truck a 4x4? My 1 ton is & I had to raise the hitch pin on the Voltage all the way up to help level it out. Still a little high in the front. Didn't the Trailair raise the front of your V3605.
Yes, my '14 Ram is a 4X4 and actually has the upgraded 20" wheels. When I traded out the Lippert pin box for the Trailair, I installed it as high as it would go on the trailer. I have a B&W Companion slider, and I have it set as low as it will go. Ironically, when hooked up I'm shockingly pretty level! I am running a set up Timbren's to give my truck a little extra payload capacity, and I've been meaning to take the spacer out of those which I think would almost put the trailer dead on when hooked.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #7

Illinois
I have a 2012 voltage 3950 and pull it with a f350 crew cab dually . The truck has a edge program up graded to the to shift on the fly . If I am thinking correct the 3950 has a weight around 14500 empty, from what have figured that is the max for my truck . I have went to a event and had a ultra and a street glide loaded in the back and the truck felt it . The thing I am thinking of doing is adding air bag to my truck to level out my truck.
ultra07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra07 View Post
I have a 2012 voltage 3950 and pull it with a f350 crew cab dually . The truck has a edge program up graded to the to shift on the fly . If I am thinking correct the 3950 has a weight around 14500 empty, from what have figured that is the max for my truck . I have went to a event and had a ultra and a street glide loaded in the back and the truck felt it . The thing I am thinking of doing is adding air bag to my truck to level out my truck.
Depeding on the year of your F-350 Dually and engine you should be well within your tow rating. There are two different ratings, conventional towing and 5th wheel towing. You also have to look at the GCWR for your truck. That is the weight of the truck (loaded with passengers and all) and the total weight of your trailer (loaded as well) looking on Fords website, a 2013 Ford F-350 dually with the 6.7 Diesel with 3.73 axel ratio the GCWR is 30,500.
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

Pirate
I have purchased the Reese 25K drop in for Ford SD's with the Fifth Wheel Prep Package. I think that should do fine, no? Max they make for that application with the prep package.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra07 View Post
Max fight wheel trailer weight for an F350 DRW 4X4 is 23,500k pounds for the 2015. SRW is 15,900. I should be well within the max even fully loaded which it will not be. I believe the 3950 GVWR is right about 20k.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #11

Colorado
My 3950 has a sticker GVWR of 19,000 lbs, however it has 3x 7K axles so in theory the axles will support 21K max weight, (The tires however are another story, they will be replaced with "E" rated tires when they wear out), which is also the max fiver towing capacity on the 2011 GMC dually. I put the Reese elite 25K hitch in mine for a bit of a buffer. I think a 30K hitch is way overkill for most 1 ton trucks unless you pull over your capacities, which I don't condone.
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:

The most important thing is to make absolutely sure that everything is to your satisfaction BEFORE you tow the unit off the dealers lot.

The only place to look for parts and accessories is anywhere but the stealer. Opps I meant dealer.

I routinely search the interweb for stuff I want, not nessecarily need, and find a minimum 25% savings over what my stealer wants. Opps.

The only work I give to the dealer is Warranty work, anything else goes to my local independent. My local guy charges fair labor rates and doesn't inflate his parts prices by 100%.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #13

Colorado
I love projects so I look forward to making the rig better. Yes, I have a 3 hour delivery inspection scheduled for Monday afternoon. Everything will be tested multiple times.

So as far as a tow rig, I am going to tow with my current F350 SRW - Reese 25k pound drop in hitch was ordered yesterday and should be here Monday as well. I can tow but really can't load it up with a whole lot which is fine because I don't have any toys I want to haul.

I have a connection with a fleet manage at my local Ford dealer and I ordered a 2015 F450 Lariat. Should arrive in August - they start F450 production in July. There are some significant upgrades to the F450 this year and I like to have a safety margin. I also like big trucks. I told my wife I bought a Freightliner conversion (you see a lot in Texas) and I think she hung up and was calling her lawyer.... Sometimes the boss just does not get guy humor.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtas View Post
My 3950 has a sticker GVWR of 19,000 lbs, however it has 3x 7K axles so in theory the axles will support 21K max weight, (The tires however are another story, they will be replaced with "E" rated tires when they wear out), which is also the max fiver towing capacity on the 2011 GMC dually. I put the Reese elite 25K hitch in mine for a bit of a buffer. I think a 30K hitch is way overkill for most 1 ton trucks unless you pull over your capacities, which I don't condone.
What load rating are the tires on your rig?

I haven't seen anything less than an "E" rated tire on a unit that heavy.

I would be going to at least a "G" rated tire.

Your GVWR is 6500# heavier than mine, when I replaced my tires last year, I went to G rating and I have already doubled the miles over the E's.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
I would look at the tires. If they are Akuret see if they will change them out. If not I would certainly see if they will knock off $'s so you can buy new ones.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #16

California
Quote:
I have a connection with a fleet manage at my local Ford dealer and I ordered a 2015 F450 Lariat. Should arrive in August - they start F450 production in July. There are some significant upgrades to the F450 this year and I like to have a safety margin. I also like big trucks. I told my wife I bought a Freightliner conversion (you see a lot in Texas) and I think she hung up and was calling her lawyer.... Sometimes the boss just does not get guy humor.
The Ford F450 will tow circles around the Freightliner. I know I bought one used out of Texas a couple of years back to replace my 05 F-350. Had great brakes but was sure low on power. Pulled the living quarters horse trailer I bought with it fine. Sold it to a horse guy out of B.C. & bought my 2012 F-350. Doesn't have the brakes the Freightliner had but out pulls it by a mile.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #17

Texas
Quote:
I ordered a 2015 F450
Scott,

A heads up on what to discuss with your insurance agent on an F450...

The Texas Personal Auto Policy as well as the ISO form used in most other states limits the GVWR of a covered auto. Originally 10,000 lbs but many companies have increased it to 14,000 lbs to cover most 1 ton trucks. On the F450 or Chev/Ram 4500 series most companies only offer a Business Auto Policy.

So here is the rub...

On a Personal policy the liability flows to the trailer from the pulling unit. On a Business policy the liability only flows to utility trailers less than 2,000 GVW, to have liability for auto accidents a larger trailer must be specified (listed) on the policy.

Many companies will list recreational trailers as a 2nd unit on a Business Auto Policy, and if that's the case you're OK.

However, some companies will insure the pulling unit on a Business Auto Policy and offer a separate stand alone policy for the trailer. These stand alone trailer policies include premise liability like on a homeowners policy that would not cover an auto accident. So if you back into something, the stand alone policy would cover the damage to your trailer, but not the property damage to the third party, and the liability on the pulling unit under a Business Auto Policy would not flow to cover the other parties damage.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #18

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Scott,

The Texas Personal Auto Policy as well as the ISO form used in most other states limits the GVWR of a covered auto. Originally 10,000 lbs but many companies have increased it to 14,000 lbs to cover most 1 ton trucks. On the F450 or Chev/Ram 4500 series most companies only offer a Business Auto Policy.

So here is the rub...

On a Personal policy the liability flows to the trailer from the pulling unit. On a Business policy the liability only flows to utility trailers less than 2,000 GVW, to have liability for auto accidents a larger trailer must be specified (listed) on the policy.

Many companies will list recreational trailers as a 2nd unit on a Business Auto Policy, and if that's the case you're OK.

However, some companies will insure the pulling unit on a Business Auto Policy and offer a separate stand alone policy for the trailer. These stand alone trailer policies include premise liability like on a homeowners policy that would not cover an auto accident. So if you back into something, the stand alone policy would cover the damage to your trailer, but not the property damage to the third party, and the liability on the pulling unit under a Business Auto Policy would not flow to cover the other parties damage.
Very good information and I will check with State Farm whom we are covered with on everything. Thanks for the heads up. I had not even remotely considered insurance an issue with that truck.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #19

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The Ford F450 will tow circles around the Freightliner. I know I bought one used out of Texas a couple of years back to replace my 05 F-350. Had great brakes but was sure low on power. Pulled the living quarters horse trailer I bought with it fine. Sold it to a horse guy out of B.C. & bought my 2012 F-350. Doesn't have the brakes the Freightliner had but out pulls it by a mile.
The 2015 F450 has significant upgrades. The 6.7 Power Stroke is now 440 hp and torque is up as well, forgot how much. 4:30 rear end. I know I will loose some unladen zip but how fast do I really need to drive it. Speed limited to 87 MPH.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #20

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Scott,

So here is the rub...

Went thru this a few years back when considering F450. I didnt want to accept risk associated with backing into a lower cost policy. Stayed with the 1 ton. Just another reason so many are pushing the weight margins.

2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote