New Member Parts Questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Texas
New Member Parts Questions

Hello All! I recently purchased a gently used 2008 Winners Circle (Dutchmen) 38' toy hauler. It's been sitting in the same spot since it was bought and seldom used so everything is in decent shape. Unfortunately, that place was in Corpus Christi, TX a few miles from the beach so all the salty air has caused some cosmetic and rust issues meaning that it is going to need a little TLC before I'm ready to hit the road with it, but for the price I couldn't pass up the deal. This is our first RV so I'm really excited to get in to RV camping and be part of the community. Anyway, I do have a couple questions with regard to my restoration.

1. Where is a good place online to buy parts? I've looked a few places but I need to replace window frames, vent covers, cable/phone jack, and a few other external pieces that have been beat up by the sun and salt and haven't found anywhere that has a good list.

2. Where can I buy parts for the Onan Marquis generator? Since it's never been run there is a part of the carburetor that is malfunctioning and I'd like to replace just the bad part as opposed to the entire carb assembly like it's appearing I'm going to have to do.

3. What are some tips for parts to check? I've done a couple walk-throughs already but if there are any parts you know of that have a habit of having issues (especially considering the sun and salt air) I'd love to find them now instead of a few hours in to the maiden voyage.

I really appreciate any help any of you are able to provide. In reading around the forum this seems like a place full of people who know their stuff so I'd love any input on any of the above or anything else you think a newbie like me needs to know. I promise to reciprocate as soon as I know what I'm talking about!

Old 03-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #2

Washington
Good luck on your purchase, and welcome to the forum. I also purchased a used RV that was sitting near the ocean and had been for a while. Bought it from down in Comifornia, and towed it home. There are going to be a number of things that I would be concerned about checking, and/or replacing before you move it far.
My first concern would be the bearings, seals, and brakes. I don't know how often, or ever, the previous owner did this, so check and make sure. You are sure to find some issues to deal with there. Another problem I have found with seldom used RV's is the valves. Toilet and black/gray tank drains mainly, they can dry up and leak, or stick from lack of use. The tires, if they are original '08 they need to be replaced, 5 years max for me, look for weather checking or any other issues. Some say if there is just weather cracks on the outside they are fine, I have found this not to be the case, just my experience. Then the bug issue, any ants or other critters make nests in the hidden areas? Then you have the other items you mentioned, all need addressing, but some can wait a little longer than others. The vents on the roof, covers for all the pipes, windows that don't leak, all important. If you blow a bearing or tire getting it home, not so much. Again, just my experience. Hope this helps a little.
As for places to shop? I have used many different ones, mostly Amazon, Dyers, and the ubiquitous Camping World.

RV Supplies, RV Accessories, RV Parts, Camper Parts, 5th Wheel Hitch

I am sure others will give opinions as well, some good experience here on the forum, use it.

Mike B.

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #3

Texas
Mike, thanks a ton for the quick and thoughtful reply! He (the previous owner) used it pretty often but just never moved it. So, I'm pretty sure the valves are good and have actually already tested them. Same thing on the bugs and critter problem. I dodged a bullet there...I hope. I'm actually going down this weekend to pull all the wheels, bearings, etc. so I'll know more on Saturday. I really hope you're wrong on all that needing to be replaced, but I've already checked that they're in stock at the local RV place because I'm pretty sure you're right! I'll report back when I know more and thanks for all the help so far!