New Camper Owner Questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2015, 03:43 AM   #1

Tennessee
New Camper Owner Questions

We just recently bought our first camper. It is a 2001 Dutchmen 27 SRV that need a little TLC. It needs a water heater and I can't figure out what model water heater it had originally. I know it was an Atwood but that's all I know. I can't find an owners manual or an equipment list. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gallatingator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallatingator View Post
We just recently bought our first camper. It is a 2001 Dutchmen 27 SRV that need a little TLC. It needs a water heater and I can't figure out what model water heater it had originally. I know it was an Atwood but that's all I know. I can't find an owners manual or an equipment list. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome!!
A picture is worth a 1000 words... It will get you a answer much quicker..
Are you sure it needs replaced and not just repaired?
Open the outside door to the water heater, inside, there should be a sticker/nameplate with the model number. If not there, and if you have access to the back of it, it might be there.

If you are going to replace it, just check the measurements and electrical/gas connections, and you should be able to replace it with a new model. Not too much has changed over the years.. Its either going to be a 6 or 10 gallon, gas only or electric and gas.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #3

Tennessee
I have to get a new one because the previous owner decided to take it all apart and I'm missing parts and the tank wasn't winterized and it split after freezing.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #4

Tennessee
Here are a few pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater3.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1942   Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1943   Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1944  
Old 03-27-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Check where it used to be and see what kinds of wiring (if any) exists. That will tell you if it was a gas unit (likely) or a gas/electric unit.

I found one online that indicates it came with a 10 gallon gas/electric water heater.

Something like this one I would guess. If you don't have the door you have to buy them separately.
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:12 AM   #6

Tennessee
There is a wire that connected to the back of the tank. You can see in one of the pics above an electrical box with wires sticking out of it. That's where the wire was connected. This is what makes me think it was gas/electric but I'm just not sure enough to put all of that money down on a new heater and it be the wrong one.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
It definitely was a gas/electric. Did your trailer come with a build sheet? Look in the back of the kitchen cabinet, they used to put them on the wall in there. Also look through the manuals that came with the trailer to see if there is one for the water heater. It may be generic, but should list some possible models. The other option is to haul it to an RV dealer and have them install it for you.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #8

Missouri
Sorry I didn't think of this before, do you have 2 switches for your water heater? One for gas and one for electric.

I think you are going to be able to replace it with a new model. Just check the measurements. It "should" just swap out.

Here are the measurements for the electronic ignition model.

6 GALLON 16˝ 12.5˝ 18.5˝ 6 GALLON 25 lbs

10 GALLON 16˝ 15.5˝ 21.8˝ 10 GALLON 32 lbs

Water Heaters - Atwood Mobile

Looks like the web site has all the info your going to need to get the right one.

Good Luck.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #9

Montana
Looks like EricNSTL has provided great info and link. Regarding the "winterizing" of a hot water tank, the proper procedure is to drain it completely empty and leave it that way. Many water heaters have bypass valving to completely isolate it from the fresh water supply which you will do during winterization and open back up once de-winterization has been completed. Don't bother trying to fill the 6 or 10 gallon tank with 6 or 10 gallons of antifreeze.