My Triton 2951 Thread - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #41

Florida

I hate these floors. No matter what I do I cannot get them clean. Eventually I am going to change them out but until then is there someway for me to clean them? The dealer told me that they should clean up fine with a swiffer which is what I normally use. But it's not getting into the grooves of the floor. I've also used an "old fashion" mop and bucket which helped but didn't pull up the tire marks. I'm pretty sure the 2951 and the larger model are the only ones with these floors because the campers with separate garages have the rubber floors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG_V10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #42

California
I got lucky and my 2017 has the "Hard Wood" pattern instead of the one like yours which is what I saw in all the trailers except the one I got. I have no idea why that that that color and textured patter would be good for a toy hauler.

I can't help with the cleaning but even though I have darker floors, I still lay down cheap shipping blankets from Harbor Freight under my bikes and quads. Not only do I not get tire marks this way but it will also catch any oil drippings.

Good luck on getting them clean, I hope you find something that works good.
Chip

Chipworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #43

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG_V10 View Post

I hate these floors. No matter what I do I cannot get them clean. Eventually I am going to change them out but until then is there someway for me to clean them? The dealer told me that they should clean up fine with a swiffer which is what I normally use. But it's not getting into the grooves of the floor. I've also used an "old fashion" mop and bucket which helped but didn't pull up the tire marks. I'm pretty sure the 2951 and the larger model are the only ones with these floors because the campers with separate garages have the rubber floors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have the same flooring in our 2016 2951. Not only does it get dirty easily, it also tears very easily. We've owned 3 toy haulers in the past and they all had flooring that would stain and disfigure easily.

Costco sells rolls of 8' x 17' rubber garage matting with diamond markings in black and grey for $125-$150. I don't see it for sale at costco.com, but I noticed it's been on sale at our local Costco off and on for the last year or so. In any case, the 17' length fits the distance from the hallway steps (by the door) to the dovetail on the 2951 almost perfectly. It does take some patience and care to cut it to size around the sink, stove, frig area, plus cutting the holes for the tie downs and table legs. We used the excess that we trimmed from these areas to cover the additional 6" width on the left side wall (about 7-8' long), from the side of the frig to the dovetail.

This stuff is easy to sweep, clean, plus it protects the floors extremely well. We remove it every so often to clean. Oil and grease comes off easily with any standard household cleaner. Our OEM floors still look brand new. Will definitely get our money back upon resale or trade.
otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #44

Illinois
Try some Starbrite non-skid deck cleaner. You can get it at marine stores or Amazon. While I don't have your floor, I use it daily on my boat. Works great. Just a thought. May work for you
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #45

North Carolina
Just wanted to jump in here and post my review so far.

I have owned this/my rig since Jan1 2017. I have put 6k miles on it and have slept close to 30 nights if not more...I lose track of those little details. Full system usage (75% dry camp) Generator has 180hrs.

Couple little issues,
1- panel to rear of fridge came loose, no biggie and a couple of cabinet doors needed serviced/aligned and retightened.
2- My bottom facia buckles up in the sun/heat. havnt figured if I will repair myself or take to dealer
3- She bounces like a stage coach. I started putting Joyrider shock kit on but found that the bracket that mounts to frame I am unable to attach via bolts as there is a structural member between the frame rails between the center spring hanger's. I will get steel brackets made up and weld on this winter. I am very pleased to have this problem...i like seeing the structural cross member as this is an are of lots of stress. in the mean time I also found my bounce really to be because of the sponge cheap tires...which will come off this winter/spring as well for some Sailuns.
4- At first I was about 5-6'' nosed high, I raised the pin box all the way up and my hitch down and got me to around 2.5'' to 3'' nose high with 6in bed clearance. Pulls much better and took alot of the chuck out of it. I go off road alot and have been in some way off camber situations and have not had a bed rail strike or rub. I will see what new tires give me in extra height ( go from 235-80 to a 235-85) should be an inch.
5-Bed room slide has no seal on the inside on the top, has 1 on each side. I can stick my hand out and touch the exterior rubber seal. I know this does not seal water out but it does keep conditioned air in and I do have a problem regulating the bedroom. couple with the improper heat vent (bathroom 4'' and bedroom 2'') I will fix that this winter.
6- Who the heck uses silicone to seal exterior seals? its all over my roof in areas and all exterior penetrations. I have taken care of my windows and will do all my hatches/fridge access etc in the next few months. I would really like to go to the plant, take the tube of silicone and read the label that actually states its not for their intended use. I plan to use Eterna bond tape on the roof as well this fall.
7- My front jack switch has failed. Its a 15Amp switch and the motor is 30 amp rated? will most likely upgrade to Bull Dog jacks soon as well
8- I have a little wrinkled wall paper in some areas. At this time it does not appear to be from moisture, and thats my concern. I have the parts and pieces to build a Seal Tech machine so i can pressurize the rig and look for leaks as I re- seal everything. I recommend everyone to have this done once in a while. There is a shop near me that does it and i watched the process plus in my trade we do blower door tests on homes and other structures for the same purpose just not the same reason. I have the ability and knowledge to build and operate without harming the structure. yes you can over pressurize and make big problems.

All in all it has been a good rig and I feel i have used it more in the past 8 months than most will in a year...I have a few more trips in the books to the mountains yet plus hunting season is coming. She seems to be a keeper. Fairly beefy 10'' I beam frame and plenty of cross supports compared to other units of its size...most were 8'' with no cross beams/supports.

I haul 2- 900# Can-Am Outlanders and my sons Honda Recon. They fit fine and it serves my purpose. We are still able to do loaded overnighters and utilize the rear bed for my son.

Coming up on the year mark and with everything seemingly good to go its time to start upgrading and customizing it better to fit me needs. Looking at some more battery, more lights (fuel station, steps in and out, under chassis, swap out awning strip for multi color dim amble, light in gen box area) . i have also though about building up the dovetail so i have a full 17ft flat floor with storage for tie downs underneath. I just havnt figured out how to make a secondary ramp to be easy,light and not a total pain in the butt.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #46

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard View Post
2 - My bottom facia buckles up in the sun/heat. havnt figured if I will repair myself or take to dealer
The right side facia on our 2951 has moderate buckling, the left side minor. I've yet to see a Voltage (in the heat) that doesn't have some form of buckling. Some are much worse than others.

As for repair, it's possible to get the aluminum/rubber trim that follows the top part of the lower grey facia and lower outside wall, to lay down somewhat flat with some extra screws. However, depending on how bad the buckling is on the lower grey facia (covers lower half of the unit) it could still pop-out again. When that lower grey facia heats up it can put a lot of outward pressure on the trim.

IMO, there's no way to really repair the lower grey facia without removing and reinstalling the entire section of facia. Even then, it may not work because the lower grey facia has probably been permanently distorted (from repeated heating from the sun).

Hard to believe Voltage wouldn't take time to install this stuff better--especially something SO obvious.

Quote:
. . . cheap tires...which will come off this winter/spring as well for some Sailuns.
Excellent idea! Sailins' have an outstanding track record. We replaced the OEM E-rated Westlake tires right after purchase with all-steel, Hartland/Gladiator G-rated 235-85/16 tires. Each G-rated tire weighed 23 lbs. more than the E-rated OEM's! FWIW, last year I saw a Voltage at a local dealership with a blown tire. It did $2500 damage to the wheel well and lower facia. BTW, our 85 tires only raised our unit about 1/2", if that.

Quote:
I have a little wrinkled wall paper in some areas. At this time it does not appear to be from moisture, and thats my concern.
We have some, too. However, ours is from movement of adjoining trim. For instance, the hallway stairs move slightly against the wallpaper causing the wallpaper to wrinkle slightly. Also have some minor wrinkling (from movement) where some of the cabinets and trim meet the wall.

You mentioned the silicone on the roof. I noticed they used a lot on the gutters. So glad they didn't use much topside. I bought a couple tubes of Alpha Systems sealant (for TPO roofs) and sealed over everything right after purchase. The very rear area (above the ramp) and all 4 corners needed sealing badly. Glad I did because there's no doubt I would have had some water leaks---especially above the ramp door.

After 17 months of ownership, we've got about 12,000 miles and approx. 5 months of use with our 2951. Had the landing gear motor and gears replaced (first month), all four drums and brakes replaced (leaking seals after 8 months), and just had the front a/c unit go bad (16 months; 2-year Dometic warranty), all replaced (or to be replaced) under warranty. I've lost track of all the fixes and mods I've done since new. I think the 2951 is a bit of a step above the competition in terms of value and construction; however, I think most would agree they're all put together rather terribly.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #47

North Carolina
OTR Funny you mention the leaking axel seals. My last pull was 1200miles through the mountains. I went to use it last weekend and breaks did not work as they were previous. Adjusted to no end and they were no better. Had to crank my gain to 6 or more...and I normally run 2.5 3 at the most. Looked between the backing plate and shoes and found all 4 seals billowing grease out. Obviously my shoes are contaminated with grease.

I just called LCI yesterday to get new warranty shoes and seals sent out to me and I will pull the bubs and repair after I get the parts. Curious as to why they replaced your drums?

I have also found my bushings are worn out on my equalizers and shackles and such. I hope to replace all this with an Equaflex equalizer and greaseable wet bolt kit this winter along with adding the Joy Rider shock kit.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #48

Arizona
Glad you noticed the grease early-on. We didn't.

From day one we complained about our brakes. Dealer said they were fine. After we got back from our 1st 6k, cross-country trip I pulled all 4 drums. They were all coated in grease. After that many miles (at maximum gain, and grease!) the drums were massively scored. Took pics. Based on the pics the dealer/LCI agreed to replace everything (including the drums) under warranty.

Pretty amazing you were able to get good braking with your gain set to 2.5 - 3.0. Even with these new brakes we have to set our gain to 5-6. Did some testing one day and did discover the brakes will lock-up the tires on pavement with the gain set to 7.

Getting our front a/c unit replaced this week. Wasn't cooling very well. Temperature split was only 11 degrees. Dealer confirmed the split and ordered a new unit. Glad it happened while we were still under the 2-year Dometic warranty.

Replacing the bushings and equalizers is a good idea. Not sure when we'll get around to it. Hopefully soon.

Good luck with the brake replacement and safe travels, Wild Card!
Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #49

North Carolina
Called LCI set up a case for my leaking wheel seals. 5 days later I had new seals and fully loaded back plates (shoes,magnets,springs etc. Put them on upon arrival Friday night. I was less than impressed with the grease used from the factory. It was a tad thicker than used oil.
Cleaned, inspected and repacked bearings with good grease.

I recommend anyone with this vintage axle or any axle to look in between backing plate and drum with a bright flash light and look at the back of the grease seal for leakage at a minimum.

And wouldnt you know it. As I was setting it on my truck to move the thing to make my wheel repairs my landing gear started talking...and I didnt like what it had to say. I ordered Bull Dog independent 10K landing gear system. I wanted the Ultra Fab but they would require re welding a mounting tab. I should have that in about a week. No way was I going back with the clunker that was installed from factory. I said the 1st day when I bought the trailer the landing gear wouldnt last a year.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:42 PM   #50

Oklahoma
Floor Clean Up

I saw your comments on the floor cleanup. We have the same flooring in our 3451, only just in the kitchen area. Have found that a Shark Steam mop does really well on cleaning it and getting down in the grooves. Not sure on tire marks but worth a try. One thing my buddy does in his with faux wood flooring is carry carpet tiles with him to park on. Keeps tire marks from developing.
bwwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #51

Arizona
We installed a window in our 2951 door. Lights up the dark area around the entrance and hallway area during the day. Plus, when someone comes a knockin' it's easier to see who it is

Pretty hard to find door glass to match the tinted OEM windows on the 2951. Most door window kits (and replacement glass) have non-tinted, frosted. obscured glass. A local Mom & Pop, RV dealer special ordered us the exterior/interior black frames (Valterra packaging; made by LCI??) and clear, tinted (smoked) door window glass (stamped LCI), all for less than $40.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #52

North Carolina
After getting my 2951 back home from the hunting camp I decided it was time to ''fix'' some things. Then Old Man Winter decided to bless us on the East Coast with a couple blizzards.

I already had my storage cleaned out and wall removed accessing my water pump etc.

I straightened out all the wiring in there 1st cant stand dis organization

I then purchased a new 4'' vent for the master bed and 4'' dryer duct. I enlarged the hole through the floor and ran the 4'' duct up and installed new vent. Ran the duct back to and connected at the 4'' furnace take off that went to the bath room. I then took the old 2'' vent that was in the bed room and screwed it to the metal box for the floor vent in bathroom and connected the 2'' that was in the bedroom to it. Heat is now fixed I froze many a night at hunting camp because of this.

Next, I remounted my water pump properly. I also mounted the winterizing valve and ran some flexable hose out so that I can now utilize it with out taking the carpeted partition wall out.

Still on my list. The shower drain and trap that hangs down right in the middle of storage will get cut out and re plumbed behind the partition wall.

Have new Bulldog independent motor landing gear to install. Going to wait for know better weather before I attempt

Also have Joy Ride shock kit to finish up. Need to weld top shock mounting brackets to the frame. Directions include fasteners to drill and mount but in order to make that happen I would have to remove shackles and equalizer...not going through all that work right now so weld it will be.

Sorry no pictures at this time, will get some in a few days.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #53

Michigan
can you provide details on the window would like to find on also

Pinshootr is offline   Reply With Quote