Moryde IS disk brake upgrade - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #1

New York
Moryde IS disk brake upgrade

Has anyone done recently the moryde IS disk / brake upgrade for a triple axle ?
If so, did you go with 7K axles or 8K axles.
What was the final cost for the type of axles you used ?

Moryde informed me that the use of 8K axles will ride to rough, and suggested the 7K, any comments ?

Did anyone find any way to get a discount on this service ? through rallies or any promotions ?

Thanks
Barry

barrymerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #2

Ohio
We did the 8k on our dual axle 3605. If you have the work done in Elkart at the factory, they give you the option to use Timpkin bearings instead of cheap china bearings. We saved a couple of hundred dollars doing the work at a slow time (1st week of December). As I recall, the total was right around $6200 with tax and the timpkin upgrade for dual axles. That was 2 years ago, so I would expect prices to go up some. I do think the ride is slightly rougher with the new axles, but not having broken shackles and flattened springs is worth it.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:58 PM   #3

British Columbia
MorRyde quote to me in May 14th this year

7K IS with 8K disc brakes $6,899.00
8K suspension with your drum brakes is $4,349.00. 8K IS with 8K disc brakes is $7,299
Fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:37 PM   #4

California
I replaced my factory brakes with new hardware a couple of months ago as the original set was done. The repair guy I used went with better quality hardware and the total cost installed was like $800 for the four. Pricey I think but amazing how well these work. I am sure the discs would be better but I am completely comfortable with these brakes finally. I can easily lock them if I want to turn them up enough and the difference is night and day from the original.

I spent a ton of time trying to troubleshoot my truck and the factory brake controller because I couldn’t figure out why these original brakes never gave me confidence since new and assumed it had to be the controller. Turns out they just were not that good. Yes I had them adjusted and that didn’t help either.

I was seriously considering the upgrade to discs but now feel it is overkill.

So I am just saying you might want to consider all new hardware on your drums for about 1/10th the cost before you jump into the discs.

Again, I am sure the discs are better but I sure like my new drums now.

Some food for thought.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #5

British Columbia
Hi DSOL
I think that is a very good tip. I personally stepped away from the upgrade myself, but mine wasn't an issue of brakes. I had to lift my 5'er up 3", & the MorRyde people said they could do both with one IS conversion. I have opted to have a 2" subframe built & then a 1" lift block placed between the spring packs & axles, to achieve the 3".
Fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote