Me and my daughter on going to take a trip to Quartzsite, AZ - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2015, 03:28 AM   #1

Arkansas
Me and my daughter on going to take a trip to Quartzsite, AZ

We are thinking about going to see my parents for Christmas and taking the Voltage 3818 so we can take the Polairs and do a little riding in the desert while we are out there.
Leaving next Sunday the 20th. We are leaving NW Arkansas taking interstate 40 can any one make any suggestion for the trip. Things to do or see on the way.

dennis429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Depends on what you want to see...
The Petrified Forest National park is out there along with the Painted Desert, we stayed in Holbrook. We also stopped in Canyon, TX just south of Amarillo. The Palo Duro Canyon is there and well worth the visit. In Canyon, TX there is a great museum that is full of local history stuff ranging from dinosaurs, to cowboy history to hot rods. We stayed at the KOA in Amarillo. Another neat place to stay, but not much around there was the KOA in Elk City, OK. The service road in front of the campground office is part of the original Rt 66.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #3

Wyoming
Well, let's see... quite a few things, especially if you don't mind getting off of the interstate a few miles here & there.

If you wanna try out your binge eating skills, Amarillo, TX is the home of the BIG TEXAN steak house, conveniently located just on the north side of the highway. If you're feeling brave, order up their 72 oz. steak challenge... and if you eat it all (plus the sides) in an hour, it's free.

Also in Amarillo... on the service road running parallel to the eastbound I-40 lanes... is the famous "Cadillac Ranch".

Moving along, I-40 through NM is pretty void of anything spectacular, although the scenery is very nice in places.

After passing through Albuquerque though, you have a choice of 2 places you can wander off and see if you like:

If you head south on I-25, and then west on US-60, you'll pass right by the Very Large Array... the huge radio telescope complex that is seen in the movie "Contact" with Jodie Foster. You can't go into the facility (at least, you couldn't a few years ago), but you can easily see the antenna farm.

Or, you head northwest out of Albuquerque via any number of ways and head up towards "Four Corners"... the geological spot where the 4 states of Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico abut each other. Standing on the US Geological Survey market, you can say you've been in 4 states at the same time.

If you do head up that way... instead of heading back south to I-40, you'll want to continue west about 30 miles or so to visit Monument Valley, right on the AZ-UT border. This is the area where many of John Ford & John Wayne and other cavalry & western movies were filmed. Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and others. Truly beautiful landscapes. Also where they filmed the scene in Forrest Gump where he decides he tired, and going to stop running.

Well, If you stayed on I-40... or if you're heading back south to rejoin I-40... the interstate passes through the Petrified Forest Nat'l Park just east of Holbrook, AZ.

Continuing west on I-40, you go thru the town of Winslow, AZ... which any fan of the Eagles will know is where he was 'standin on a corner'. You can also have your picture taken there too. In fact, so many people do, they've made a nice place for you stand:

Just a few miles west of town, you'll find Meteor Crater... which is exactly what the name implies. Almost a mile across, and over 500' deep, it's pretty impressive.

Continuing west on I-40... about 30 miles on the other side of Flagstaff, AZ, you'll come to the town of Williams. There's nothing really impressive about Williams, except for the fact that it's where you turn off of I-40 and head north about 45 miles... where you reach the south rim of the Grand Canyon. I don't think I need to post a photo or say a lot about that except... you're so close, you can't just pass by and not visit.

Finally, continuing west on I-40... when you get to the town of Seligman, you can venture a bit north off of I-40 and ride the longest preserved portion of the original Route 66 all the way into Kingman. Just shy of 90 miles in length, it's a very scenic ride... complete with the old roadside Burma-Shave poem-advertisements about every 5 miles or so. And it takes you right back to I-40 in Kingman.

Ok, so that's about it from me. There are other nice things to see along the way, but those are some of the highlights.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #4

Arkansas
We might have to see the Petrified Forest since we are spending the night in Holbrook.
dennis429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #5

Colorado
There is lots to see along the way. Just remember it is winter most of the way until you get down to I-10 in AZ. Flagstaff, Gallup, etc can be tough travel this time of year. Here in SW Colorado we're expecting 12" of the white stuff today. Happy Holidays!
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #6

Florida
Tom,

You make a better travel guide than Good Sam's books!

Thanks for the info.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

British Columbia
And don't forget all of the Anazi ruins along the way.

A great travel book that covers a big part of the Four Corners area is, Journey to the High Southwest by
Robert L. Casey.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #8

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Tom,

You make a better travel guide than Good Sam's books...
Ha!

Well, I just did I-40 coming out here last August (I didn't try the steak challenge, but did have a fine meal at the Texan)... and I've toured many of the other areas on my motorcycle during the time I've been out here.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-15-2015, 02:06 AM   #9

Utah
Tom, we are hoping to head to Quartszite this weekend as well. Weather permitting. It will be our maiden voyage in our new rig. We are Utah, and after today's storm looking forward to warm weather.
2014 CanAm Commander
everydayrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:27 AM   #10

Nevada
Dennis429, if your going to take some of the trips that Tom talked about, and go near Big Texan, in Amarillo, TX…..They have an RV Museum close by, that has Vintage RV's 4341 Canyon Dr Amarillo, TX The Museum is in a RV Dealer, but its Free to visit…Most of the other thing Tom stated are great to see, and Don't forget the Grand Canyon….Have a Great Trip
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Ha!

Well, I just did I-40 coming out here last August (I didn't try the steak challenge, but did have a fine meal at the Texan)... and I've toured many of the other areas on my motorcycle during the time I've been out here.

Riding weather all year round, almost. Lots to see in the southern part of the state also Tom. Arizona doesn't end with Maricopa county but most people north of Tucson thinks it does.

You can even venture to Naco, Sonora, Mexico. As they say, went to Naco for a taco.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Riding weather all year round, almost. Lots to see in the southern part of the state also Tom. Arizona doesn't end with Maricopa county but most people north of Tucson thinks it does.

You can even venture to Naco, Sonora, Mexico. As they say, went to Naco for a taco.
Yeah, no arguments from me there. I've spent the last 2 winters in & around the Phoenix area, and rode the bike pretty much all over the southern part of the state. Since I was usually riding solo, I did stay this side of the border though. Too old to need any 'drama' these days.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayrvr View Post
Tom, we are hoping to head to Quartszite this weekend as well. Weather permitting. It will be our maiden voyage in our new rig. We are Utah, and after today's storm looking forward to warm weather.
Quartzsite will be warmer weather then you are having. For this time of year it's not normal weather for Quartzsite. Low was 29 & high should be 54.
That might be warm for you but for us that live in the desert it's

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote