Main A/C unit leaking in kitchen - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2016, 11:13 PM   #1

Alabama
Main A/C unit leaking in kitchen

Our 2015 Voltage 3905 started leaking water out of the end of the wooden island that houses the lights in the kitchen. Climbed up on the roof and there is a large tear in the roof where the A/C was installed and is all wet. So we are thinking the A/C is draining in that hole and has finally saturated the roof enough to come in through the kitchen roof. The drain holes are not plugged and the front of the camper is not low....so we are thinking it's this tear in the roof that is making the leak. We are 1 year out of warranty but taking to dealer Tuesday to submit in hopes Keystone will take care of it since it was done during manufacturing. Any tips to see if they will cover it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	3554  

Shelly B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:07 AM   #2

British Columbia
Shelly,

I wouldn't hold my breath, being that far out of warranty. Given that your camper is two years old and just now finding a problem with the roof.

There is an expectaion from the manufacturer that the roof be maintained as per the manufacturers recommendation and any defects be dealt with in a timely basis. Now if you took the camper to the dealer to do the regular maintenance, you could have a case.

Good luck with the dealer

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:11 AM   #3

Alabama
Thank you. I'm sure hoping so. You can clearly tell it was from their negligence of installing the ac unit.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:18 AM   #4

Tennessee
Even though they may be at fault, they're gonna ask why you haven't inspected the roof in 2 years.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:22 AM   #5

Alabama
It's underneath the ac unit. Not visible when looking at roof. We are on the roof every spring inspecting it and wouldn't have seen this. If it's something you should see when inspecting the roof, they should've caught it when they looked at it upon manufacturing and/or at dealership.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:24 AM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly B View Post
It's underneath the ac unit. Not visible when looking at roof. We are on the roof every spring inspecting it and wouldn't have seen this. If it's something you should see when inspecting the roof, they should've caught it when they looked at it upon manufacturing and/or at dealership.
I agree, just preparing you for the inevitable. Maybe you have a great dealer who will fix it, the roofs are warrantied for 10 years.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:26 AM   #7

Alabama
I understand. Thank you. Just very nerving considering we have no idea where all the places the water actually went and now the ceiling island is ruined also. We wouldn't have known it was there unless we took apart the ac unit....and who does that unless they have a problem? Ugh!
Old 08-17-2016, 01:52 AM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I agree, just preparing you for the inevitable. Maybe you have a great dealer who will fix it, the roofs are warrantied for 10 years.
Hey dawniewest!
I think they went up to 12 years on Aerolite.

But what difference that makes after the 1 year warranty on the unit makes no difference to me personally. Keeping that roof in good working order is on ME. Period. At least that's how I feel about it.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:19 AM   #9

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Hey dawniewest!
I think they went up to 12 years on Aerolite.

But what difference that makes after the 1 year warranty on the unit makes no difference to me personally. Keeping that roof in good working order is on ME. Period. At least that's how I feel about it.
Yes, if it was negligence of us not taking care of the roof, that would be a different story....but the fact they put the hole in it and then covered it with the AC unit (where it wouldn't be noticed) is a completely different story.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:51 AM   #10

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly B View Post
Yes, if it was negligence of us not taking care of the roof, that would be a different story....but the fact they put the hole in it and then covered it with the AC unit (where it wouldn't be noticed) is a completely different story.
We hear you... but, do what I do in any situation where I have to deal with something like this in any walk of life: Play devil's advocate. Put yourself in THEIR shoes. Play the other side, so that you'll have a good counter-argument to anything they could possibly throw at you.

Playing their side on this... my first thing would be: Do you have any PROOF that this was our doing during the manufacturing process?

How do I know that you haven't pulled the AC off the roof to maybe retape the ducts... and then maybe dropped it and ripped the roof during reinstallation?

If you didn't do it, how do I know that someone you hired to clean the roof didn't unbolt the AC from the roof to clean under it... then rip it during reinstallation... and cover it up so that you're just finding it now?

Etc... etc...

These are just a few of the myriad of questions and scenarios that they can & usually will come up with to counter your argument that they ripped it.

I wish you good luck... but without an extended warranty or service plan, I fear you may be on your own.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote