Looking to purchase a 4150TH and have questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #1

Georgia
Looking to purchase a 4150TH and have questions

Thank you in advance for everyones help! My wife and I have been searching for the right TH and had for the most part decided on a Jayco Seismic 4113 model. We are not in a hurry so after deciding on the floorpan i dug into the forums and reviews and found lots of issues that are normal for any RV but their leveling system seems to be a serious issue for the Seismic. They use an electric jack system not hydraulic. I have a TT now and i am not to familiar with either system but after doing a lot of research hydraulic seams to be the way to go.

That being said I started searching floor plans again and came across the 4150 Epic and this looks like a better fit for us. I do not currently have a "Toy" to put in the back but plan on purchasing a Manx style Dune Buggy and i believe it will fit in that garage area.

My biggest concerns beyond the leveling system being adequate for the rig are overall quality for the unit. How do these hold up over time? We use our trailer a lot for our seasonal business and practically live in it for 4 month during the winter. The closest 4150 model to me is almost 700 miles away from what I can find. There are other Epic models we can see locally but we are sold on the side patio. I would think the quality and finish would be the same across the entire Epic line but everyone knows what happens when you assume anything.

If you made it this far thank you for reading my long post and I appreciate any feedback and advice from current Dutchmen owners!

Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:38 AM   #2

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Thank you in advance for everyones help! My wife and I have been searching for the right TH and had for the most part decided on a Jayco Seismic 4113 model. We are not in a hurry so after deciding on the floorpan i dug into the forums and reviews and found lots of issues that are normal for any RV but their leveling system seems to be a serious issue for the Seismic. They use an electric jack system not hydraulic. I have a TT now and i am not to familiar with either system but after doing a lot of research hydraulic seams to be the way to go.

That being said I started searching floor plans again and came across the 4150 Epic and this looks like a better fit for us. I do not currently have a "Toy" to put in the back but plan on purchasing a Manx style Dune Buggy and i believe it will fit in that garage area.

My biggest concerns beyond the leveling system being adequate for the rig are overall quality for the unit. How do these hold up over time? We use our trailer a lot for our seasonal business and practically live in it for 4 month during the winter. The closest 4150 model to me is almost 700 miles away from what I can find. There are other Epic models we can see locally but we are sold on the side patio. I would think the quality and finish would be the same across the entire Epic line but everyone knows what happens when you assume anything.

If you made it this far thank you for reading my long post and I appreciate any feedback and advice from current Dutchmen owners!

Prior to buying our voltage, we owned a Jayco class C. The first thing I will tell you is RUN. Our experience with quality and customer service was the worst I’ve ever had. During 2015, the jayco was in the shop 11 months strait.

When we decided on a TH, we looked at several manufacturers and the side patio. Ultimately we went with the 3990 because of the overall quality. Road Warrior is nice, but not insulated near as well. The Weekend Warrior is the top of the line, but the do not have an actual dealership or service center within 500 miles.

Several things influenced our decision on the voltage.
1) full body paint. Nice upgrade and makes maintenance much easier.
2) 6 point hydraulic leveling jacks. A definite must!!!
3) large RV fridge, didn’t want a residential because it requires 110 volt electricity to run. 4) 3-15k a/c units. We live in Texas!!!
5) deep shower. My wife is 6’ and she had to bend down to use a normal RV shower.
6) Residential king size bed, not an RV king.
7) Largest fresh water capacity available. 160 gallons. We are a family of 6, and you’d be surprised at how much water you need.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTripp0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #3

Georgia
Thanks for the insight! IM 6' tall myself and our TT just doesn't have enough room to for me to sleep comfortably. We bought it 2 years ago and got a great deal on it so selling won't be an issue. Have you boondocked much? How does the generator do having 3 A/C units? Most of our camping will be with power available but I am looking forward to hitting some NHRA and NASCAR races so adequate power to run the A/C at night will be a must for my wife...
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:20 AM   #4

New Mexico
Toy Hauler

Hey Grumpy, I'm 6'2" and my Voltage 3950 Toy Hauler would probably work well for you. You can stand up tall everywhere, including the master bedroom and the shower. The garage is 8 x 12.

We are looking to sell it and retire from RV-ing. We have it on Craigslist and you can view it here:
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/rvs/6612923686.html

please contact me if you'd like to talk about it...
chipbabb@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #5

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Have you boondocked much? How does the generator do having 3 A/C units? Most of our camping will be with power available but I am looking forward to hitting some NHRA and NASCAR races so adequate power to run the A/C at night will be a must for my wife...
You won't be able to run three A/C units on generator or shore power. They both (Gen & Shore) are rated at 50amps which is likely really 42- 45 usable amps.

They put a load management system in them that is supposed to load balance and cycle units so all three are running but only two are in AC mode and the third is in Fan mode but I have had limited success with that and now only try two at a time.

Also the garage has no insulation under the floor so fuel vapors can vent to the earth so getting the garage cool is very difficult (also hard to heat).

Where we live it gets to 100F in summer days and you just learn to keep the garage closed and live in the front 2/3'rds of the trailer.

We have a 4150 and love it!
Grizzly660fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #6

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly660fan View Post
You won't be able to run three A/C units on generator or shore power.
Excuse me?

I run all 3 ACs on my Voltage 3200 on shore power with no trouble at all. I don’t use my generator that often, and have never tried all 3 when I did... so I can’t speak to that. Now what I can’t do is also use my microwave when the compressors on all 3 are running simultaneously. If I do, I’ll either throw a breaker, or I’ll get an error code on my thermostat showing a cutout.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:11 AM   #7

Texas
My 3990 has 3 ACs running every day here in Texas, no problems. Can't run everything all at once either.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #8

Illinois
Ditto on my 3990; all three but careful on running anything else with them.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
You won't be able to run three A/C units on generator or shore power. They both (Gen & Shore) are rated at 50amps which is likely really 42- 45 usable amps.

They put a load management system in them that is supposed to load balance and cycle units so all three are running but only two are in AC mode and the third is in Fan mode but I have had limited success with that and now only try two at a time.

Also the garage has no insulation under the floor so fuel vapors can vent to the earth so getting the garage cool is very difficult (also hard to heat).

Where we live it gets to 100F in summer days and you just learn to keep the garage closed and live in the front 2/3'rds of the trailer.

You actually have 100 amps at 120 volts, or 50 amps at 240 volts. The RV 50 amp system is actually two 50 amp 120 volt legs. AFAIK they don't install 240 volt equipment on RV's, so for some unknown reason they call it 50 amp service.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #10

Texas
You guys running three ac's on shore power.... what sizes are your ac's?? From front to back I have 13/15/15. FYI I've never even tried to run all three... I will now
Old 06-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #11

Texas
I wish mine was like that it would make more sense. My front bedroom one is 15k, middle living room is 15k and un-insulated garage has a 12k unit. Works for what we do for now. If the back ever goes out I hope to upgrade it for sure.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #12

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
I wish mine was like that it would make more sense. My front bedroom one is 15k, middle living room is 15k and un-insulated garage has a 12k unit. Works for what we do for now. If the back ever goes out I hope to upgrade it for sure.

FYI What helped my garage was pulling the vent cover and adding a piece of gorilla tape form the top of the duct to the vent opening. It deflects enough air down to almost double the CFM's coming out of the vent now. Just a hole with no baffle cant redirect the air at that velocity that close to the ac.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #13

Michigan
Quote:

The Precision Circuits Load Management System on our rigs is programmed to begin shedding loads at 44A. I ran all three often. Since going to a 7500W diesel, Precision Circuits reflashed my LMS to shed at 67A for me.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #14

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
The Precision Circuits Load Management System on our rigs is programmed to begin shedding loads at 44A. .
You call it shedding loads I called it load balancing, not quite the same in reality but in principle yes.

Those running three AC's I would suspect you are not really getting them the way you think you are. Yes all three units are on, all three may be set to AC mode but the Load Management System will cycle them from fan mode to AC mode back and forth very often. I think if you really look you will see that two are in full AC mode and the third is in fan mode and they alternate around the system based on load.

They may get to be three in AC mode on occasion if no other loads are present (charging system, etc) but they don't stay that way based on loads presented to the LMS (Load Management System).
Old 06-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #15

Michigan
Mine all stay on AC mode with fan on AUTO. So when I say all three were running once, they were. Verified with ammeter. Reason for installing the MicroAir Easy Start on all three units. I spend lots of time on the phone with Precision Curcuits to understand the system. Once I installed my diesel generator last spring, the LMS was sent off for a reflash fron the 44A shed setting to 67A.

The folks at Precision Circuits were extremely helpful in helping me understand how the system works. When connected to 50A service, it basically goes to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #16

Utah
maybe my elevation is affecting it. my lowest elevation is 4200 feet above sea level and I am often up in the 8 - 10k range? I know for sure mine won't keep all three in AC mode and I can watch them cycle from AC to fan mode and back as needed.

Usually my middle AC stays in AC mode the entire time and the front and rear units cycle from AC to fan and back alternating. With the central ducting for the system its easy to think they are all three on and in AC mode all the time.

Each of my AC units need 22amp at least to run and it doesn't take much to hit the magic 44a you quote and I can confirm 44a with you. throw in battery charging and there isn't much amps left for AC units, electric water heater, etc.

I almost entirely boondock and almost never use RV parks.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #17

Michigan
Difference in elevation makes perfect sense. You may want to look into the Easy Start. Not cheap in any sense of the word but made I huge difference in start up amperage for me

Old 06-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #18

Texas
Verified by amps on mine as well as a Digital thermometer as well. I am on shore power and in Texas with no elevation, as in flat land. Also, only have a 12k in my garage of my 3990 and it stays on all day nearly every day this time of year as I work back there.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #19

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
You may want to look into the Easy Start. Not cheap in any sense of the word but made I huge difference in start up amperage for me

Thanks for the tip, I may look into it.

On my coach (Voltage 4150) my resting amps is about 6amps all the time which I attribute to the charging system and the fridge as I can't find any other loads present (I unplug all TV's etc). when one of my AC's start it spikes to 30amp and then settles in at about 22amps running so 6amp plus the 22 and I am already at 28amps of the remaining 44amp. I have two 15k btu (front and middle) and 13.5 over the garage.

I should state that the electronic thermostat controller is forced to AC on all three units and it never changes. I have gone up on the roof, removed the covers and monitored the compressors cycle and actually turn off putting the unit into fan only mode as the system sheds loads.

I only have a 30amp connection at my house so I can only run a single AC on that connection.

as always ymmv (your mileage may vary)
Old 06-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #20

Texas
Howdy! Looking at the 2020 Voltage 4185. Anyone know if these issues ya'll are talking about still applies to the new model? It has a 5500 gen, sounds like that is marginal. Can the garage be insulated? Thanks for your input.

4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote