Looking at Voltage 4205 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #1

Ohio
Looking at Voltage 4205

For the last three years I have had a Cyclone 3611. This was my first fifth wheel and first toy hauler. While it has a lot of things that I like, it has been a constant issue. Water leaks, leaf spring brackets braking off the frame, broken leaf springs, wheel coming apart...just to get the list started.

Even with all the complaints, it has been a good trailer. I have put a lot of miles on it, and the family and I even lived in it for a couple months at a time when relocating for my job.

Now I think we have finally reached the point where it is time to get rid of the Cyclone and try again. Looking for a nice triple axle toy hauler with plenty of room for me, the wife, two kids, and the dog. There are a lot of features that I really like about the Voltages (we were really on the fence when we bought the Cyclone), so that is where I am going to start.

We are going to look at a 2020 Voltage 4205 this weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts to share about his model? Certain things that I should be on the look at for? Any other recommendations?

I appreciate all the help and advice.

andrew.l.garr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:51 PM   #2

Florida
Although we have 2017 voltage we looked at the new ones last weekend and could see some changes for the better we like ours after the usual issues. Good luck

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:37 AM   #3

California
If your truck can handle the weight and size of a triple axle and you are prepared to deal with the challenges of a monster like that I think a triple is the way to go. Our tandem (3305) required all new suspension in the first year or so because the crappy Chinese made leaf springs were not up to the task of the axle weight and flattened out making the rear end so low that almost any driveway would scrape.

With a triple you can probably get away with the factory leaf springs and possibly swap to a truck tire like a Michelin XPS Rib which is going to have a better speed rating and will perform far better than the crap Chinese tires that come on it. In my case only trailer tires can support the weight necessary for a tandem axle so options are far more limited.

Also, assume you know sharp turns and u-turns can really wreak havoc on triple axels tires which get dragged if you are not careful.

Again, something that big will not be easy in many camp grounds and will be a real chore to maneuver but you probably know that already.

But back to your original question, sorry no knowledge of the trailer you are asking about.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #4

Wisconsin
A couple of years ago, Voltage generated endless complaints on this forum and iRV2. It has been quieter this year. Either people stopped buying them or they have gotten better.
A few of the complaints were major issues like wheels or axles coming off. Door, window, and slide issues and leaks were also endemic.
Check out this link for recommended brands:
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums/f31/buying-a-travel-trailer-7369.html
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:20 PM   #5

Utah
I had a 3905 that had so many problems Voltage bought me out of it and got me into a 4150. We haven’t had the trouble of the 3905 since we got the 4150 which was huge problems with Schwintech slides. The new cable slides are much better.

We like our Voltage now.
Grizzly660fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:40 PM   #6

Saskatchewan
I have a Voltage 3905 tri axle, approx. 45k miles, with my experience not worth the money, you need to be a mechanic to keep it running or have a 2nd rv to use while the dealers store on their lot before they get around to fixing it.. When this unit was 4 years old, tried to trade it in, it was worth 25% of new price and the new ones went up 20%, so basically giving it away for nothing.. Decided to keep fixing instead of starting out all over with a new one, atleast I have decent tires. Have neighbors in RV park that bought a 200K high end 5th wheel, dealer is there every 2nd week fixing something or other, not good... Good luck with your chalanges
23satd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:34 AM   #7

California
I would seriously think twice about purchasing a Voltage or Dutchman product. I have a 2017 3605 40' double axle hauler. As noted by other owners, I had to replace my entire suspension system. All slide motors were replaced along with the refridgerator. I know that the RV industry is not regulated like the automobile companies. If you do purchase a hauler make sure you purchase an extended service contract. It will help with the larger items but won't help on the quality of the workmanship.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:51 AM   #8

Wyoming
Ok, my 2¢ worth...

The thing to remember about pretty much any type of forum is this. Only a very small percentage of Voltage owners are here, and history has taught us that most people only take the time to comment when there’s a problem.

Don’t get me wrong... I understand that there are REAL issues that have been experienced by some... but it’s a rare day when someone wakes up and gets the notion to get online and write up a new post stating how great their rig is.

I bought my Voltage new in 2013, and though I have had a few issues that have needed to be addressed over the years... after over 70,000 miles of towing, and damn near full time use during that time, I am only now having my first major issue. And even that is limited to a single component of the RV.

When you consider all of the modern conveniences packed into these things, AND the piss-poor roads we drag them across... it’s almost a miracle than anything works when we arrive at our campsites.

Could there be better quality control, and better standards across the board? Of course... and there should be. But don’t write off an entire brand simply because you read a few negative comments from a small percentage of owners.

Bottom line... do your homework, and be prepared to handle a few issues yourself. If you decide to purchase, do a COMPLETE pre-delivery inspection of EVERY component of the rig, and don’t sign the dotted line until each has been demonstrated as working to your satisfaction... and chances are, you’ll be able to enjoy your rig.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #9

Illinois
Have to agree with Tom. I had a 2015 3990. Spent 3 winters in Florida with it, plus trips to Sturgis, Michigan, and assorted other places. Very few issues with it. Very good to me.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:39 PM   #10

Texas
In the Tom camp too. We ha e lived full time in our 3990 with some issues but I would not trade it for anything out there today.

I have been to all the RV shows including Dallas and Tampa and all over this country in the last 3 years in ours and we both still love it.

We just spent 3 weeks boondocking in Key West and 2 weeks in FHU, and heading back to Texas now. We can go anywhere we want anytime in this jewel.

Every brand has them good and bad just be ready for your challenge. We have talked to folks in everything from Prevost, Newmar to Tiffin amd thye say the same thing. Some companies just stand behind theirs better.

God luck see you down the road!
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:33 AM   #11

Florida
Like I wrote earlier we had our issues on our voltage delt with it and moved forward it’s our third rv if you look at other rv forums you will see same issues with other brands. what we liked when we looked at 2020/2021 voltage was better factory warranty better tires. we like our trailer. our simple (YouTube vid dutchmen voltage camping). We found our biggest hassle being able to get service appt it’s not like going to ford dealer. We have found a private owned rv shop that takes care of service and warranty issues. all our best FLA
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:06 AM   #12

California
My biggest issues have been the following:

Suspension which I guess you could blame Lippert,

Fridge not cooling which is clearly Dutchmen’s fault for poor installation and not following manufacturer specs for the enclosure.

iCommand dropping connection which cleared itself up after a few updates and likely the product itself and not Dutchmen.

Fuel tank level gauge which was not wired correctly so again Dutchmen’s fault.

Many trim pieces falling off walls because of crappy adhesive—again Dutchmen’s fault.

Fresh water tank gauge often shows 1/4 when full.

Cheap Westlake Chinese tires needing replacement after unexpected blowout.

In summary, the suspension was a really dangerous and an expensive fix. Tires also expensive. The rest relatively minor fixes.