looking at Rubicon 2600 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #1

Nebraska
looking at Rubicon 2600

I am looking for advise on buying a new Rubicon 2600. I have never owned a camper before. I have been using an enclosed car trailer to sleep in when we take our Maverick out. It is hard to find any pros and cons on this trailer or any toy hauler for that matter. What should I watch out for when buying? Any known problems with the Rubicon or Dutchman that I should look for. I know everything has little problems, I just want to watch out for big ones. Thanks for any help

germanz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Sorry for the delay in responding to you. Things have been hectic for me lately
with my winter repairs and cautions. I have the 2100 Rubicon. It is smaller than what you are looking at but I am a solo full-timer. I find it cramped some times when I have the bike pulled in during bad weather. It does provide all of the essentials for living other than good insulation. I have beeen having some freezing issues this year and been doing alot of repair work. My suggestion would be to go to the dealer and spend some time inside the unit. Try everything out. Not just a few minutes but an hour or so to really get the feel. I hope others will come in here to help on you decision. It is nice to be able to work on my bike in bad weather just difficult to cook.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #3

Nebraska
Thanks for the reply. I am more of a warm weather camper. So I hope freezing would not be a problem. I am very close to pulling the trigger on the Rubicon. Would you buy one again if you were shopping around?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:52 AM   #4

New York
OK we have the 2900 - larger than the 2600 - we had MAJOR problems with our from cap separating to bent axles......we thought we had done our due diligence but unfortunately Dutchmen proved us wrong.

Most of the items have been repaired, but it was in the shop so long, we really have not had a chance to "use it" as we would have liked.

We do like the unit; but the hassles of the repairs put a big damper on things.

If you go - sit in it for HOURS make sure you will be able to live with the layout - bring the slide in and out when sitting in it, step into the shower - see if it is large enough for your needs. Start in the front and make sure things are what you think they should be....enough room for clothes, kitchen storage.

The one thing I insisted on was a vapor wall separating the garage from the living area - I worked with my DH in his auto body shop and don't need smelling anything automotive again - I see your model does not have that....think about what it will be like having your toys in your living area at times.....

OK so now it is up to you....come back and let us know what your think! Oh asked if I would buy another - ah I don't think so!!!! Between Dutchmen and our dealer this was not a very pleasant experience!!!!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:05 AM   #5

Nebraska
its $2500 more for the extended warranty. Worth getting? I am pretty handy and dont mind working on my stuff but if the axles are gonna go bad that could get spendy. I am having a hard time finding many people that have one of the Rubicons. But I really do like the way the interior is in this one. I have been looking at some Nitros but the ones they have, my Maverick will not fit.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #6

New York
All our MAJOR problems happened within the warranty period.

Axles bad from the start - out of alignment and bent.
Nail thru the siding - upon PDI inspection
Cap separating - creating a water leak within the first few months of use.

Granted some of the items had to wait until the second year to be repaired (which Dutchmen agreed to do the work) because of where we live - our camper is stored indoors and if it is not in by mid-end October we start to deal with snow shortly there after.......

If it will work for you make sure you inspect it with a fine tooth comb, don't take possession until all PDI issues have been fixed and DO NOT PAY for it until the work is done.....it will give the dealer the incentive to get it done faster!!!!

Good Luck!!!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Kathy,
Very nice description on what to look for. I bought used and had no warranty. I have also been idle in on spot for some time now so not sure what may break when I get it on the road again. I'm leaning toward an extend a room to make my place more roomy. These are not the best made trailers but they do have some nice amenities. I had a class A that was very comfy and warm but I had to trailer my bike and in bad weather I had to wait to go to the store only had the bike to use. Now I can use the truck or bike. So its important to decide truly what you want to do and use your trailer for before buying one. Make sure you spend a good amount of time in it if you are a couple make sure you both spend the time in it together so you know how small it may be for both of you.