Looking at 2014 Voltage 3895 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2016, 04:54 AM   #1

Washington
Looking at 2014 Voltage 3895

Looking at purchasing a 2014 3895, full body paint, epic package. Can someone tell me what the epic package has? Haven't seen the RV in person yet, but have several pics. Would like to hear the do's and dont's the good and bads. Thanks for the help!

Duallyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:15 AM   #2

California
We have a 2014 3895 epic and absolutely love it! We feel like we got the best model to suit our needs. I can't think of one negative thing to say about it! Ours is also full body paint in my favorite color........red!

Bmxboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

Wyoming
The Epic packages have evolved over the years... I think they're on Epic V now... but this will give you some idea.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #4

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxboysmom View Post
We have a 2014 3895 epic and absolutely love it! We feel like we got the best model to suit our needs. I can't think of one negative thing to say about it! Ours is also full body paint in my favorite color........red!
These come with the problematic Schwintek slide tracking? The one we're looking at is the maroon. The full paint is definitely much nicer looking.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

California
We have had no problems with our slides
Old 02-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duallyd View Post
These come with the problematic Schwintek slide tracking? The one we're looking at is the maroon. The full paint is definitely much nicer looking.
Problem isn't with the Schwintek slides it is with Dutchmen's substandard install and using the wrong sized slides and motors on the larger slides.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxboysmom View Post
We have had no problems with our slides
I've read some of your posts, looks like u have a good grasp on the proper care and operation of the slides. It's like any other vehicle, proper care and maintenance goes a long way.

If ya don't mind me asking, what do license tabs run u down in CA? We're up in WA, but plan to move to southern California in the next yr or so. How about insurance? Need to be prepared for any surprises.

Our tow vehicle is a 2006 Dodge dually, 4x4, long bed. Plan on having a local diesel shop beef up the transmission, and probably look into an exhaust brake as well.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Our tow vehicle is a 2006 Dodge dually, 4x4, long bed. Plan on having a local diesel shop beef up the transmission, and probably look into an exhaust brake as well.
These guys do some great stuff with automatic transmissions. Could be worth a trip to Abbotsford and get them to do a build for you, with your dollar as strong as it is.

http://www.dieselperformance.com/ind...uct/index/315P

I wouldn't tow without an exhaust brake now, saves your brakes for when you really need them. It holds whatever speed I start my descent at and rarely do I need to apply the brakes on the downhill.

Their Extrude transmission coolers are awsome, my transmission temps are down 20-30F when towing since I installed it.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:23 AM   #9

California
I'll have to check on insurance, but I just paid tags for the year. A little more than $750
We have learned so much on this site! Lots of good ideas!
Old 02-14-2016, 06:38 PM   #10

Washington
Wow. Up here its less than $100. $33/yr plus tonnage. It's around $60 for my 1 ton dually. I've also heard CA gouges for yearly smog testing too. It's $15 for a test, bi annually here.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #11

Nevada
Duallyd, Welcome to the 3895 gang, Like others have stated, make sure you check everything out before taking it off the lot, open and close the slides, check the bottom of the slides when open, for water marks, and check the tires to see if they have been changed, The Tires made in China have been trouble…Good Luck, We love our 3895….
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:39 AM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Duallyd, Welcome to the 3895 gang, Like others have stated, make sure you check everything out before taking it off the lot, open and close the slides, check the bottom of the slides when open, for water marks, and check the tires to see if they have been changed, The Tires made in China have been trouble…Good Luck, We love our 3895….
Well, we haven't purchased yet, but have looked as several makes and models. So far the 3895 is still our top prospect. The coach were looking at is 2 hrs away, and still haven't been able to make the drive.

Most of the lots have had them in inventory for 6 months or more, so to me that says "buyers market". Living in the NW, these are seasonal investments, it appears. It's making our decision become a more thought our process.

Being it's going to be our home, we don't want to have big regrets.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:01 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Well, we haven't purchased yet, but have looked as several makes and models. So far the 3895 is still our top prospect. The coach were looking at is 2 hrs away, and still haven't been able to make the drive.

Most of the lots have had them in inventory for 6 months or more, so to me that says "buyers market". Living in the NW, these are seasonal investments, it appears. It's making our decision become a more thought our process.

Being it's going to be our home, we don't want to have big regrets.
Before you go shopping for a used RV, invest in a moisture detector and check over the whole inside of the rig.

As your interested in a 2 year old camper to full time in, you don't want to saddle yourself with something that has a moisture problem. Don't look at anything else until you have satisfied yourself that there are no moisture issues. Don't let a salesman try tell you it's been remedied. If it had been repired correctly there would not be any trace of moistyre in the wall.

Then walk through the RV checking the condition the rest of the camper is in.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #14

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Before you go shopping for a used RV, invest in a moisture detector and check over the whole inside of the rig.

As your interested in a 2 year old camper to full time in, you don't want to saddle yourself with something that has a moisture problem. Don't look at anything else until you have satisfied yourself that there are no moisture issues. Don't let a salesman try tell you it's been remedied. If it had been repired correctly there would not be any trace of moistyre in the wall.

Then walk through the RV checking the condition the rest of the camper is in.
Any suggestions on which moisture detector? I noticed some of them, if not all, have prongs to push into what your checking. How does this work with walls and things they probably wouldn't want me poking holes into?
Old 02-18-2016, 12:59 AM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Any suggestions on which moisture detector? I noticed some of them, if not all, have prongs to push into what your checking. How does this work with walls and things they probably wouldn't want me poking holes into?
There are pinless models, check Amazon. One of the members had a leak and he got his pinless there.