Loft Bunk Conversion to Storage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 AM   #1

Maryland
Loft Bunk Conversion to Storage

Have any Voltage owners converted their loft bunks to stowage accessible from the garage side? I've been trying to convince Voltage to consider this an a option given the limited amount of basement storage available.

CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #2

Oklahoma
I already use my loft bunk for seldom used stuff. To convert that space to storage with garage access would be nice but there would be limitations in doing so.

If the entire space was converted a lot of structural changes might have to be made to the portion the overhangs the garage man door. That costs money and that cost would be passed on to the consumer. Then there's the weight factor with not only the beefier structural members but the weight of the stuff that could be stored up there.
I keep a motorcycle in my garage so I would have to remove it to have enough room to set a ladder to safely get up there and retrieve my stuff. As it is now I have to drag the heavy loft ladder out of the garage to gain access from the kitchen to the junk that's up there now, therefore I only use that area on a limited basis.

Having someone spend the night up there is different than having a constant load that bounces around as the unit travels down the highways and byways of camping life providing one's slides are working.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #3

North Carolina
You know, I hadn't thought about that. I mean, we throw stuff like bottled water, paper towels, etc, up there but still leave it clear enough to sleep in there. (our youngest daughter likes it)

But, my wife always sets up the happi jack beds so why not use that spot as a more permanent storage area?

I've never really given any thought of losing the area for sleeping but since it's my wife and I most of the time anyways, we should use it for storage because I'm always running out of storage area.

In fact, I'm having some aluminum boxes built under the trailer to store folding lawn chairs, spare tires for our SXS, etc, etc.

Good idea!

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #4

Maryland
Thanks for the replies. I understand the design concerns mentioned by sundancer87 and have actually discussed the options with a Dutchmen rep prior to ordering my 3600. Whether accessible from the garage or used as "storage" from the living area the same weight concerns would exist. Also understanding the impacts to the production line process when adding an "option" like this, but I still believe it would be a valuable option and possible to do but Dutchmen would only entertain such a change if demand and interest from the customer base was evident. Too late to make it happen for me but am interested in seeing how many others would consider the additional garage storage option if available.
CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote