Locking Fuel Station Cap Vandalism... - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2016, 11:42 PM   #41

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I have had my hands on all of those at one time or another. Along with a whole host of other oddball machines.

The Saab was a 2 stroke 3 cylinder. They were a damned tough little engine. Only problem was if you got the timing a bit too close to TDC when you cranked it up the engine might run backwards, if it did you would find out when you put the car in first or reverse.

My dad was big into French cars for some reason. I grew up with Citroen, Renault and the occasional Volvo. My nemesis was MG, Triumph, Jaguar and Rovers.

Learned my lesson, now all I own are Fords!

Aaron
I think I remember being told by the master wrench that the three banger was an water pump engine for irrigation, here again, it could be the Tequila.
Regarding reverse running engines, when I was in the Army a few years back we had an Air Force officer in charge of the motor pool, like most shave tails he wasn't knowledgeable about military vehicles.
To mess with him on motor stable days we would put an ole multi-fuel 2 1/2 ton truck in reverse and push it to get the engine running bass akwards. Then we'd call him to the line to listen to the engine coughing and gagging and farting black smoke.

Ever run 134 mph in a Triumph TR7? I have

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:22 AM   #42
Site Team

North Carolina
May well have been a water pump engine. Triumph used Massey tractor engines for years, just a different cam and carb.

Can't say I ever went that fast in a TR. My fastest British car was my gray market MGB-GT V8, it ran near 130mph. Fastest thing I ever owned was a much modified Kawasaki H2, probably had a top end near 150. Sold it BEFORE I killed myself.

We had a Datsun 260Z with a Jag V-12 in that was brutal at the drag strip, but wouldn't corner.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:26 AM   #43

Ontario
Here's your project - HD sportster powered Isetta:

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:09 AM   #44

Texas
Quote:
May well have been a water pump engine. Triumph used Massey tractor engines for years, just a different cam and carb.

Can't say I ever went that fast in a TR. My fastest British car was my gray market MGB-GT V8, it ran near 130mph. Fastest thing I ever owned was a much modified Kawasaki H2, probably had a top end near 150. Sold it BEFORE I killed myself.

We had a Datsun 260Z with a Jag V-12 in that was brutal at the drag strip, but wouldn't corner.

Aaron
That H2 could kill you without any modifications.

By todays shear power numbers, the stories about the old H2 would seem like myths. But folks that ride these new well-mannered rockets, with their long linear torque curves, can't exactly imagine how those yesteryear machines put down their unwieldy power. They were like a light switch. On\off.

The only myth is that we thought we actually got them to handle good.
Tires, brakes, and suspension hadn't been invented yet. Lol
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:29 AM   #45

New Jersey
Tom,

Did you ever get the gas cap open? When my Voltage was delivered, there was a broken key in one of the ramp door locks. I found a video on U-Tube on how to remove a broken key using readily available tools. Of course, I can't find that one now. It did work, to my surprise. I see there a number of sites that sell extractors. A lot will depend on if there is something to catch and pull. There is a U-Tube video with six different methods to extract a broken key.

On a side note, we had a great time on the Backroads Fall Fiesta. Looking forward to when you are healed up, and able to join us. Unfortunately, we had two crashes on the last day. Two riders in different groups went down in the same downhill curve. One, the bike was rideable, but the rider broke his scapula, clavicle, & 3 ribs. The other, faster speed, the rider was just bruised, but the bike went into a ravine, hitting a tree, exploding parts, and landed upside down between two trees. Total loss, the singe sided swing arm shaft drive exploded, and the rear wheel was just flopping around when the wrecker tried to pull it out. You would think the Fire Department would have cleaned up the gravel/sand after the first crash. Neighbor came out, said it happens all the time.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #46

Georgia
Quote:

Aaron
Those H2's were lil rocket ships. I had a 77 RD400 that was just a little bit worked.
If you didn't sit on the gas cap when you took off you could be eating asphalt!

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:55 AM   #47

Nevada
Tom,

Been working on my RV the last couple days, Hope you get better and make it down to AZ.
I broke a key in my HD tank, and was able to use a good Magnet and the broken key came out?
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #48
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
That H2 could kill you without any modifications.

By todays shear power numbers, the stories about the old H2 would seem like myths. But folks that ride these new well-mannered rockets, with their long linear torque curves, can't exactly imagine how those yesteryear machines put down their unwieldy power. They were like a light switch. On\off.

The only myth is that we thought we actually got them to handle good.
Tires, brakes, and suspension hadn't been invented yet. Lol
Seen the latest incarnation of the H2? "going to make the road stripes look like dots..."

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #49

Texas
Yes I have. It's a wicked little package too.

The stuff you can buy with a paper license plate and is street LEGAL, is just amazing these days.

We rent this thing to folks that fly into Houston and need to attend a meeting or something. Its $cost is rather reasonable too. But you forfeit the hefty deposit if you actually drive it like it was designed to be driven.

Most folks forfeit the deposit. Gives me hope for our species.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 AM   #50

British Columbia
How are you doing Tom?

Have got settled in a place to recuperate yet?

Still thinking of you, hoping for a speedy positive outcome for you.

I got a bit of good news, I got an appointment to get an injection in my right SI Joint, by the time I get it, it'll only be 3 months since order. I thing that will make it one of the fastest proceedures I've had in the public medicine system.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:20 AM   #51

Wyoming
Hey guys... here's a status update:

Had to move the rig to a different campground yesterday, as the previous one wouldn't give me a long term rate. Owner said his long-term quota was full, even though there were plenty of sites available. Ok, whatever. It's business, I get it.

That set off a flurry of calls to find a place that would accommodate me long term on short notice. The problem is further complicated by the fact that there are very few RV parks within close proximity (25 miles or so) of either my dad's place here in NC, or my oldest son's place in VA. The ones I found were either full, like the place I was at... or, because they are considered "resort" parks, were outrageously high priced.

Finally found one... but the caveat is that I have to move the RV yet again in late October for a single weekend (big local event), and then I'm good to return and stay as long as I want. (that will be relevant in a moment)

As for my health, I'm pleased to say I'm feeling much better... though the main issues remain. The pain & soreness are gone for the most part (or, at least kept under control with Advil)... but I'm still stiff all over, move in slow motion, and my right arm & hand are still pretty much numb. I can say I have slightly more control of it now though, and can even slowly grab a few things with my right hand. Still typing with my left hand though. Slow progress.

Besides that, my biggest issue is constant fatigue, as I just don't have any "strength" to my muscles anywhere. Simply walking from the RV to the truck makes my legs feel like I've run a mile... and I'm still just barely able to open a simple child-proof cap or a vacuum sealed jelly jar. Packing up for the move, and then re-setting up the campsite usually takes me about 15-20 minutes on each end... yesterday, it took me over an hour. Again, everything I do is in s-l-o-w motion.

I have an appointment with a recommended neurosurgeon up in Norfolk on the 11th, and I have all of the notes, x-rays, CT-scans, and MRI pics from the previous doc... so hopefully the assessment & whatever recommendation he makes will come quickly. If he concurs that surgery is needed (and I have no reason to believe that he wouldn't)... the fly in the ointment is that I can't have it scheduled it until AFTER the 24th, because of having to move my RV that weekend to accommodate the big local event here. Which means I won't begin to really feel better for another month.

I have to laugh, because it just seems that almost any obstacle that could arise to complicate matters, has... and, with another month to go, I just keep wondering "what's next?" Not really complaining (well, not too much), as I know it could all be much worse. But I really hope I can laugh about all of this when I come back and read it again a few years from now.

Thanks for all of the thoughts... I appreciate it. Never got around to the fuel cap, as I'm now on full hookups, I don't need the generator or fuel for it. I'll deal with it after I get the medical issues dealt with.

Hope you all have a great weekend... good luck to all your teams. Some of you know I'm a baseball nut, so this is my favorite time of the year. Go ORIOLES! Let's go METS!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:48 AM   #52

British Columbia
Glad your back at least for a short time anyhow, Tom.

Just don't try to do too much all at once, it seems when your not feeling your best, the least little thing will, drag you down. It's hard to slow down when something is telling you should.

Do as much as you can and the pain allows and get well soon. I missed all you adventures.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #53

Nevada
Tom, Hope you get back on your feet, and maybe in a few, you'll make it back to Casa Grande, AZ
Old 10-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #54

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Tom, Hope you get back on your feet, and maybe in a few, you'll make it back to Casa Grande, AZ
That would be nice, I'm starting to really miss the travel photos. Tom's travels bring back so many wonderful memories.

Take it easy, but get well soon, Tom.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #55

Nevada
Jim, by the way thanks about Highway to Hell, I was hoping they would come back
Old 10-02-2016, 01:14 AM   #56

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Jim, by the way thanks about Highway to Hell, I was hoping they would come back
Oh ya!

I wish they would have been filming this early spring. We're north of the Coquilhalla Summit, down to Merritt and up to the top of the next mountain, we're about 15 miles off of the Coq.

Merritt is at 1950' and Kamloops is 1132, are both desert, our little mountain is pine and laual forest is at 3600'.

There is this little band just noth of us, that can have some really strange weather. This spring it was Mother Nature, that was responsible for the eleven illiterate idiots that played pinball at the Inks Lake brake check. Couldn't posibily be they were driving too fast for conditions, rather that the sudden hail storm. At every interchange, there is a sign within the first mile that advises you that you are in the mountains and you better pay attention to the weather.

From the brake check it's an 8 percent grade down the the Inks Lake interchange. It's a magnet for rollovers and other assorted mayhem. Went to town yesterday and there was a fresh one going into the median.

I don't use the Coq much any more, I've always liked Hwy 1, the Fraser Canyon, it's a much more relaxed pace and more scenic than the Coq. I takes me an extra half hour to get to the coast, but going the back way is alot less stressful.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:39 AM   #57

Nevada
I think I'll get this one
https://www.amazon.com/

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:01 AM   #58

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Ummm... drill a hole? Into metal that caps a gasoline tank? I'm certainly no expert, but I'm thinking if I do, I may not need worrying about replacing said cap. 😉💥💥

I thought about just taking a pair of vice grips, ripping all of the plastic I can grab away, and maybe being able to grab whatever's in the cylinder.

I haven't post ed much lately because I had a little accident in my truck, which caused some spinal cord shock. I was completely paralyzed from the neck down for about 30 minutes, before feeling and control of my little limbs gradually began returning. Everything has come back except my right arm & hand... which, after 2 weeks still hasn't come to life yet.

Neurosurgeon says I need neck surgery to correct pinching between C3-C4, and they wanted to do it there in Montana... but since I'd be unable to care for myself for 4-6 weeks, and the snow's gonna be flying soon, I'm driving the rig cross country back home to NC to have it done there.

So I've been boondocking in Walmarts all week, running the generator at night. The tank's not dry yet, but I went to top it off today, and that's when I discovered the problem. Oh well, tonight's the last night... almost home. Hopefully it'll last til morning. 😀
I recently had the lower back done then the upper, I was only in the hosp. 1 night both times, and was good to go the next day..
Yours could be a different situation. Good luck with the op.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #59

Illinois
PITA to move for one day, but at least you have a spot. Heal quickly.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #60

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineoaks View Post
I recently had the lower back done then the upper, I was only in the hosp. 1 night both times, and was good to go the next day..
Yours could be a different situation. Good luck with the op.
Roy,

I presume it is Roy's story, what procedure did you have done? I've just heard about Rhizotomy surgery and am trying to find some real life experiences.

I'm at the point I'll try anything to have a day without cronic pain, but I'd like to know what the downside is. Then if you go ahead and deaden the nerves, how do you know when you have over done it or injured your spine futher.