Lifting rig with 6 point leveling system - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2015, 12:49 AM   #1

Virginia
Lifting rig with 6 point leveling system

I haven't tried this yet, but have been wondering if anyone has used the Lippert 6 point leveling in manual to lift wheels off of the ground?

I'm guessing to avoid the excess angle error you would have to alternately lift both sides. You might also need blocks under the foot plates to get more height.

If it's possible and you use heavy duty 'truck' jack stands you should be able to do axle and brake maintenance without needing a large heavy capacity jack.

DR Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:51 AM   #2

Texas
I've changed a flat myself lifting just one side, remember this part for later, I was parked against the curb changing a curb side tire and with the slant of the street the lift was bringing the trailer toward level.

This weekend I put new tires on at a dealer and lifted all six off the ground at once.

The first try I was in a little depression in the parking lot and got the angle error right away. I moved up to a level area and tried to lift just one side and got the angle error before the tires were off the ground. As I lifted the opposing side the trailer would level letting me lift the other side higher. "Alternately lifting both sides" I switched back and forth until I had all six off the ground.

The tires being installed were about an inch larger in diameter and this called for me to raise the jacks higher than what was needed to removed the old tread. I maxed the jacks out and that was enough to get the larger tires on the ends but the techs had to use a floor jack to lift the center axle high enough to install the new tires. Blocks would be a good idea from the start.

The techs started to take all the tires off at once and I ask them do just one tire at a time so if the jacks failed the trailer would have at least two tires on a side to hold it up. They thought that was a good idea.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

Nevada
I have tried it also, just lifting one side, and was able to do it, but later that jack started leaking and now needs repair, I think if I would have used blocks so it didn't have to go that far, it would have been better, also like mike said, doing both sides at the same time would have worked better
Rich
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:13 AM   #4

Virginia
I lifted the rig with the leveling jacks when I replaced all the shackles and added wet bolts. I did use about a 5" block under the stands while doing so. I don't think the weight is an issue, but the height could be an issue.

At least get the blocks on the low sides because if you do over extend as said earlier, you will see a leaking issue.

I add the blocks as a standard practice. Not only does it avoid over extending but the less the jack is extended, the more stable the RV is when parked for use.

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:33 AM   #5

Tennessee
In the instances mentioned above, did you guys have it hooked up to the truck? Or, did you use front hydraulic jacks as well?
Old 04-08-2015, 01:53 AM   #6

Nevada
Camper2b
Only use the rear jacks with the truck off, don't want to put any Pressure on the Truck Bed
Once at a Dealer, A guy pushed the wrong button and bend the Truck bed
Rich
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #7

Virginia
Always with the truck off. I have put the rear down when stopped for a nights rest but not before putting the front down to get the weight off the truck bed.

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote