Let's Talk Insurance Rates... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #1

Wyoming
Let's Talk Insurance Rates...

First off, I selected the Toy Hauler thread to place this, as I figure the numbers we Voltage owners have should all be comparative.

It's almost time for me to renew my rig's insurance, and I'm thinking about shopping around a bit before I do. All of my assets are currently covered by State Farm (truck, RV, motorcycle)... as they were my best option a few years ago when I also owned another truck, 4 more motorcycles, and a house. Now that I've downsized considerably, and gone fulltime in the RV... I think I may be able to get better rates elsewhere.

That said, better rates aren't necessarily 'better' if the service isn't good. So obviously, I'm looking for the best combo of the 2.

I'm paying a bank loan on my rig, so I'm required to carry full coverage on it for anything that should happen to it when not being pulled down the highway by my truck.

State Farm issues policies in 6-month increments... and the current policy I have on the RV contains a $500 collision deductible, and a $250 non-collision deductable. To date, I've never had to use it... and as such, my 6-month rate is $453.00.

Now maybe it's just me, but I think $900/year is a tad high... and I'm wondering if I'm right?

Anyone care to chime in with who you're with...
...what's your rate?
...how's their service (if you've had a claim)?

Thanks...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

Pennsylvania
I switched carriers 18 months ago, had Allstate and went with Geico. Cost for six months for the 2015 Voltage 3305 is 192.65. The coverage is much better as well. Coverage includes RV medical, Emergency expenses, Replacement of personal property, and vacation liability. When parked in a campground I'm covered within a 25 foot radius of the unit for all these things. Deductibles of 500 collision, 100 comp. I hate to sound like a commercial but I saved close to 700 bucks a year on the car, truck and toy hauler.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #3

Maryland
I had state farm 20+ years went with Geico same as Thompwil on coverage I pay 198.00 every 6 months and we have a 2016 3605,
bill_covert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #4

Maryland
Tom,

Don't forget you are full time now...you need to adjust insurance as such...of course as I say that, I need to do the same thing. I currently pay bout $1200 with USAA ($600 every 6 months). Now that we are in MD, I am starting to seriously shop around for insurance. As a full timer, some insurance covers items in storage, while other treat
As stick and brick homes...I will be checking in to Explorer, Geico, Progressive, and another (the name escapes me right now...). I will post what I get for quotes, though it will be over the next couple weeks.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:59 AM   #5

California
We have AAA and pay about $400 a year so yes that does sound high
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:38 AM   #6

Arizona
I'm with Farmers and a dear friend is my agent. My house, cars, toys, Voltage, are all on one policy. A couple of months ago wife and I had a sit down with him and reviewed our overall coverage. He actually increased our coverages and reduced the rate we pay. I'm a happy camper. Give your SF agent a chance to give you better coverage before you leave.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #7

California
Also keep in mind that insurance rates are based on location and are dramatically different from state to state. Some friends recently moved from Florida to California and their rate was cut by nearly half with the same carrier.

Now- '07 Trailmanor 2720. Soon- Lance 1985
TV- '13 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost w/ MaxTow Pkg
Redtail cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #8

Illinois
We live in a Chicago suburb (25 miles out) in DuPage County. Went thru Good Sam, who brokered it out to General Interstate. $815 a year, insured for replacement on $81,000 unit, $500 deductible on collision and $100 on comprehensive. Includes a $3,000 rider for personal possessions not specifically covered in the policy, as well as vacation interruption insurance. I did learn today though that despite the truck (2015 Platinum Ford F350 dually) being insured thru Good Sam ($550 a year) (but brokered out to a different carrier, National General), I would have to pay two separate deductibles if I had an incident. Not the case if both are insured thru same carrier. Something to keep in mind.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #9

Georgia
Have you looked at Blue Sky. I had them when we had the motorhome. Drove off in the ditch in front of the house had do problem with them paying the 10k. They specialize in RV insurance. The are doing auto now as well. If both are insured with them and damage is from same incident you pay one dedcutable
hturner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #10

Texas
As cruiser said insurance pricing is territorial and varies by state and even between rural & metro areas with the same state. Also with all the variables companies use in their rate matrix (credit history, age, marital status, claims history, prior insurance, home ownership, ect...) it would even be hard to compare pricing between individuals in the same zip code.

The best way to find the right price / company for you is to shop around...

ATCguy, you may be able to find a better price than State Farm , but not a better company!!!

Cut & Paste from a my post last year on another site...

RV Insurance Basics

Usually the most affordable option for insuring an RV is to endorse it on your existing auto insurance. The Personal Auto Policy automatically extends the vehicle liability from the pulling unit to a trailer for liability arising out of an auto accident. The additional cost to add a trailer to your auto policy is for the Comprehensive (OTC) and Collision to cover damage to the trailer. You should also pay any extra premium and include contents coverage to get both awnings and antennas covered, that are excluded in the basic auto policy, and to have coverage for any other contents with a lower deductible than on your HO policy.

TEXAS PERSONAL AUTO POLICY
Exclusions
We will not pay for:
When in or upon any trailer, loss to:
a. TV antennas;
b. awnings or cabanas;

For reference I've quoted Texas policy terms in Italics. While insurance coverage and policies will vary by state and by company, most should be similar to what is outlined above.

If while backing your trailer you drive over another parties foot, that is an auto accident covered by your auto policy. When you unhook your auto liability stops.

The Comprehensive Personal Liability on your homeowners policy includes premises liability and no fault guest medical coverage that also cover acts of the insured, family members & pets arising away from the premises... out in your RV.

While setting up if you lower your jacks breaking another parties foot, your homeowners would pay their medical expenses up to a limit of several thousand dollars without regard to fault. If they sustained serious injuries resulting from your negligence then your homeowners liability limit of up to several hundred thousand would apply. If while hiking you or a family member cause a rock slide breaking someone's foot on the trail below or if your dog ran through the campground and bit someone on the foot, your homeowners coverage would apply.

It is important that if you do not have a homeowners policy, to insure your trailer under a full timers policy with coverage for Comprehensive Personal Liability. Instead of just adding it to your auto policy that will only cover liability from an auto accident.

What value is my RV insured for, the insurance companies Limit of Liability for a loss??? You will hear many different terms used to insure RVs. What do they mean???

ACV Actual Cash Value = Cost new minus depreciation.
If your trailer is endorsed to a Personal Auto Policy the base coverage in the policy is ACV. Normally ACV would only be a consideration in the event of a total loss. On a partial loss the company would pay the amount needed to repair or replace.

STATED VALUE = The LESSER of the value stated in the policy or ACV.
Do not confuse "Stated Value" with Agreed Value as described below.
When you added your trailer to your auto policy they ask how much you paid for it. This "Stated Value" is for rating purposes, however, at time of loss they will pay the LESSER of the "Stated Value" or ACV. Overstating the value would not increase the loss settlement.

TEXAS PERSONAL AUTO POLICY
PART D - COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR AUTO
Limit of Liability
Our limit of liability for loss will be the lesser of the:
1. Actual cash value of the stolen or damaged property;
2. Amount necessary to repair or replace the property with other of like kind and quality; or
3. Amount stated in the Declarations of this policy.

AGREED VALUE = You and the insurance company agree to a value to be paid for a total loss. This Agreed Value would be used for example on an older high value coach that has been restored. On an older unique vehicle where an ACV would be hard to determine and restoration would place the value in excess of any comparable vehicles. Underwriting on Agreed Value policies is usually very strict in limiting the agreed amount to no more than what the vehicle is actually worth.

REPLACEMENT COST = The value to replace the unit with a comparable new vehicle. Many companies offer Replacement Cost endorsements on both cars & RVs. This endorsement modifies the ACV coverage in the base policy and it cost extra. Usually there is a limitation on time, like between 2 and 5 years after purchase that the replacement cost applies and some companies also have a percentage cap, like 110% of the original price.

Hopefully this post will help you know what questions to ask your insurance agent!!!

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote