Let's Talk About Front Skirts on a Voltage... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2016, 09:09 PM   #1

Wyoming
Let's Talk About Front Skirts on a Voltage...

I haven't seen this topic discussed too much on here, so I figured, Why Not?

Now that I'm full-timing, another thing I'm thinking of investing in is a front skirt for my rig. That said, I'm not sure I've ever seen one on a Voltage... have you?

I know some people go with full-rig skirting when in cold weather, but I don't really need that. I'd just like a place to keep some stuff under the nose of the rig, but sheltered from the elements. But with the Voltage's curved nose, I'm wondering how well one would fit? I'd imagine I'd have to have it custom made, as the only off-the-shelf- types I've seen are made for more square-nosed units. Besides, it'd also have to have a peek-a-boo cutout for the kingpin to extend thru.

Other concerns...

* Connection options: snaps, buttons, or channel?

* Material: lightweight vinyl, or something heavier. Something light would be easier to setup, remove, and store for travel... but something heavier would probably be more durable.

I got the website address of a place up in South Dakota that does the best looking work I've seen on a rig so far. They use a channel method of attaching the skirt to the rig, similar to how our awnings attach to the RV. Then it's simply a matter of sliding the skirt into the channels upon arrival. This keeps the area pretty well secure from dust & rain, as there's almost no where for it to enter... and also keeps residually heated or cooled air from escaping.

Here's the address: Custom RV Skirting | Patented Channel System

That said, I'd be interested for info on anyone in the AZ-NV-CA area who does this kind of work. I found a couple of guys in CO on Google, but that's about it.

So... opinions anyone?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #2

British Columbia
Tom,

I have a complete skirt for my trailer, while not a fiver, the concept is the same.

It is a multi pieced heavy vinyl covered fabric that snaps on to the trailer.

There are cutouts to fit around the hitch, bumper and stairs. The only problem I've encountered was pulling a couple of snaps off, so now when I want to remove it I ues on of my moulding removal tools. You can find them in the autobody section of auto parts stores.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #3

British Columbia
I forgot to say, I like the mounting method of the one in the link you had. Looks alot cleaner than the snap on that I have.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:12 AM   #4

North Carolina
looks good
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

Illinois
Tom, go to wwwrvskirting.com (Curt Miller) out of Colorado. I had one made by him and it's great. Like you, all I could see was white, off the shelf skirts. Since I dropped the 10 grand for paint, I wanted one to match the burgundy and black colors. Curt custom makes them (you can measure, he has instructions on line, and mails them to you). I was in Sturgis SD and just felt better having him do it. High quality, thick vinyl, heavy zipperw, and stainless steel snaps that won't break. Fit's great. He puts a pleat in the front to address the hitch. I opted for the full nose skirt, since I would be in Florida and wanted to keep my Harley out of the weather. The full nose includes a sheet that drops down from the generator compartment, pretty much sealing the nose. Kind of pricey at $700, but looks great and so far, has held up great.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote