Leaky/Uncloseable Front Gray Tank Valve - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #41
Site Team

North Carolina
Pirate,

We all know that the MSRP is a pie in the sky number. 25%-40% off of list seems to be pretty much standard across the RV industry, with a few notable exceptions. So they have to start with an inflated number.

My comment was supposed to be sarcastic, tongue in cheek.

We have been looking at some used Class C and B+ motor homes, as well as a few of the big boys. The salesman at one place could not understand why I would rather pay more for a 10 year old Dynamax product than a brand new, slightly larger Thor product. "But you are getting $25,000 off list price", I strongly suspect that his commission is more on the new unit. The Dynmax is much better built and has better components on it. New it probably listed for better than double what the Thor unit does now.

I was brought up to buy the best product for the job at hand, price is only one of those components. I would rather pay a bit more for something that is well built and that is going to last, versus getting a "good deal". What is a good deal to me, probably isn't to someone else.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #42

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I was brought up to buy the best product for the job at hand, price is only one of those components. I would rather pay a bit more for something that is well built and that is going to last, versus getting a "good deal". What is a good deal to me, probably isn't to someone else.

Aaron
We learned early in our young married life that buying anything based one price alone usually leads to disappointment. The decision was made after our first major disappointment that if we couldn't afford the best, we couldn't afford it. We have done "without" many times, until we had the means to buy the best product, at the best price we could find. Sometimes that meant we bought last years model, rather than the current years.

Seems to be a lesson we forgot when it came to buying our Thor/Dutchmen RV. I forgot my golden rule, do the durability test on the dealers lot while he owns it, not when we own it and are 5000 miles from home.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #43

Colorado
Well...that's why we spent a couple of years with a bumper pull toyhauler as a learning opportunity we could get our money back out of...and spent that time looking for a 5th toyhauler that would really meet our needs.

The Voltage Epic 3800 was that RV. Our problems haven't been that big, but I've given up taking it back to the dealer and am learning to do about everything myself. Keeps me busy, keeps me from spending money on the internet...important things like that LOL!!!

I don't think I'll ever be a motor coach guy. No garage for the Side by Side and I like being able to unhook the truck and run errands or go to dinner. So it goes. Now if I ever win the Powerball...look out!!! LOL!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #44

British Columbia
[QUOTE=Pirate;33568

I don't think I'll ever be a motor coach guy. No garage for the Side by Side and I like being able to unhook the truck and run errands or go to dinner. So it goes. Now if I ever win the Powerball...look out!!! LOL!!

Pirate[/QUOTE]

They got that now too. I was following on down Hwy1 in Alaska this summer. Looked odd until I figured out why, the ramp looked out of place on a Class A.

2016 Outlaw Toy Hauler Motorhomes: Gas & Diesel, Class A & C RVs w/ Garage

only problem it's another Thor product.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #45
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Well...that's why we spent a couple of years with a bumper pull toyhauler as a learning opportunity we could get our money back out of...and spent that time looking for a 5th toyhauler that would really meet our needs.

The Voltage Epic 3800 was that RV. Our problems haven't been that big, but I've given up taking it back to the dealer and am learning to do about everything myself. Keeps me busy, keeps me from spending money on the internet...important things like that LOL!!!

Pirate

Reckon this would work?

We don't haul a whole lot of toys with us, and I don't foresee spending a massive amount of time traveling at this point. We both travel a lot for our livings, so being home is a treat, but we do like to see things together and not be stuck to a hotel, so a small moho is on the table for discussion.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote