Large slide uneven with framing - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Texas
Large slide uneven with framing

Help! The motor on the front side of large slide would not work with slide out. I removed screws and pop rivets. Pulled trim away from wall to get to motor. Ordered motor. After about 5 days, recieved the motor. Put new motor in, conected wires, hit watch to bring in trim, but the bottom went in, but at the top, it was hitting siding. It is like the top of ele moved over 3/4 inch. Everything is level, when I started and to this point. Has anyone experienced this before. NEED HELP!!! By the way, at the top of back end of slide at top, looks as if it ha moved to the front.

Bwanajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #2

Nevada
Bwanajohn, We all will need a couple things, 1 What model RV do you have? 2 If possible photos would help. 3 Which Slide, some of us have 2 big slides?

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #3

New Jersey
Yes. Our smallest slide in the becroom was not plumb. Motor failed, but you're supposed to be able to release the motors, and easily push the slide in. The poor service guy nearly had a heart attack pushing with a tree at his back to get it in, with me working the switch for the side with the functioning motor. The shop said it took several of the guys to get the slide back out to remove & work on it. The shop had to rebuild the slide to make it square, and replace both Schwintek columns, tracks, and motors. Unfortunately, it was out of warranty, and expensive to repair. No more problems on that slide. Then the kitchen slide started popping going in or out. Broken roller bearing in one of the shoes. Shop found that Dutchmen did not install any supports for the columns, so they were twisting going in/out, which is probably why the roller bearing failed. They installed angle supports, and had to replace one of the column assemblies. I don't fault Schwintek, but blame Dutchmen's shoddy build quality.

Hopefully, your unit is under warranty.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

Colorado
Bwanajohn, you might try putting a floor jack and a post under the slide to take the weight off of the slide. Then you may be able to shift the slide into a more square position so it will line up better. Once you get it lined up and the motors and tracks in position it should all stay aligned. Also, look underneath the slide and check your nylon rollers to be sure they are all in working order.
Hope that helps.
Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:08 AM   #5

Texas
Thank every one for their help. I got the slide in. I solved the out of square problem by moving the T trim covering the gears and shaft all the way out, after removing new motor. Cut a wood block, 4"x 1 1/2" X11 7/8" wide leaving an 1/8" gap between slide wall and wood framing right underneath top track, Cut different size wedges, and drove the wedges from top and bottom. Doing this, it moved the top over 5/8", which was enough room to get motor and gears between framing and slide. Went inside, cut a 2x4 the length between slide trim and bedroom door. Placed 2x4 in place and removed block and shims on outside of trailer. Slide stayed in place and was able to activate the one motor to bring motor and gears back up against the siding and tighten up inside trim. Screws went in the same holes. All is good to go!! Again!
Old 12-23-2016, 01:14 AM   #6

Texas
lilnuts: Had already tried that with bottle jack. It did raise the slide, taking weight of framing, but the slide went inside the trailer, just at the bottom. I had to move slide at least 5/8". There was not enough room at the top opening to reach that much spacing. Thank you so much for your input. I posted how I solved my problem on a separate blog!
Old 12-23-2016, 01:16 AM   #7

Texas
Solved my problem for about $2.95. Got lucky this time. Thank you so much for your input, am glad I did not have to go your way.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:19 AM   #8

Texas
Got er done! Thank you for quick responce. I posted how I solved the problem. Problem # 999 solved! Thanks again!